need a couple recipes

Christopheraaron

Got my first couple whitefish the other day as well as some giant (4lb range) cisco, now have to cook em up. :)

The the whitefish I wanted to to broil them, usually I just use lemon, parsley, salt, and pepper but kind of wanted to try something new, suggestions?

For the herring I wanted to try smoking them (on the BBQ) I've never smoked anything on a BBQ so if anyone has any tips (and recipes :) ) for that as well it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

Just add some fresh dill weed.to those lemons slices.

If you want a nice hearty piece of fish,put your fillets in a nice ice bath. The meat will plump up nice.. Put some budda on the foil. Lay the fillet on that,add lemon slices,dill and season to taste. My god, my mouth is watering. Im haveing home made skettie and chicken parma. Not a bad sub in my books.LOL

For whitefish, scale and gut it. Make a standard poultry stuffing and add shrimp or crab, fill the cavity.

Spice the outside with salt, pepper, parsley and sage rub with butter and drizzle with lemon juice. Wrap in tinfoil and bake in oven

Then throw out the fish and eat the stuffing! :whistling:

I am just kidding LOL. Whitefish just like most other fish will depend on how you handle it after being caught. Keep it cold, keep it clean, and it will be fine. But, you can always make fish cakes or smoke it!

I googled it, Ontario record cisco is 4.33lbs,

do you have any pics of yours?

My buddy actually caught it but let me have it to try. Here's a pic, one of the locals we were fishing with said they regularly get to 5lbs, and I don't doubt it for a second, there was open water nearby with a school of them in it and you could see they were BIG fish.

post-36039-0-69447800-1389661914_zps957c

I caught a bunch of herring in Temagami one year and brought them home and my mom and I spend a night making pickled herring and jarred them all up. They were delicious. You can buy them in the store first to see if you like them. They sell them in jars or if you go to specialty shops, they sell them fresh.

Surprised that 4.33lbs is the record.. thought it would be a bit higher. I've caught 18" 'rs on GBay and close to 21's on Temagami but never bothered to weigh them.

. Yes I was suprised too Wayne about 4 yrs ago my gf and myself launched at pembroke and went about 15-20 miles up the Ottawa river and first cast first fish was a huge Cisco !!!!! And it was so big I thought it had to be a whitefish. But then realized it was a Cisco and it was for sure without a doubt at least 4lbs !!!!! But I had no idea the record was only 4.33lbs !!!so I was not about to drag that fish around with us all day so we took a pic and let it go !!!!! It was after the trip a few days later I found out it was probly a record !!!! Haha lol ... Oh well and yes I have caught some big ones as well trolling for eyes as well as bouncing harnesses and minnows !!!! Sorry to side track the thread ...

I would try a dry brine on them; it'll draw some of the heavy oils out before smoking them.

1 cup of course salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, crushed pepper corns, onion & garlic power to taste. Wash and pat fillets dry, then in a plastic or glass resealable container add all ingredients and mix. Now rub the brine all over the fillets; then cover fillet with remaining brine. Seal the lid on the container and place in the fridge for 8-10 hours. Don't use a metal pot for this; the brine could draw toxins out of aluminium or give the fillets a tinny taste from steel. You could line either with a food grade plastic bag.

When you take them out of the fridge, you'll be surprised at how much liquid has formed.

Wash the fillets in clean cold water and place on a drying rack and let stand for 5-6 hours, in a cool room not the fridge. During the drying time a sticky film will develop on the fillets and that's a good thing. It will allow the smoke to adhere and penetrate the meat better.

Now you're ready to get smoken.

Use some type of fruit wood, they're not as harsh as hickory or some of the other woods.

Only use one of the BBQ's burners (assuming your's has two); wood on direct heat, fish on in-direct heat.

Get the BBQ heat up to around 200 degrees and then place your wood in. Once it starts to smoke place the fillets in; if they still have it, skin side down.

Now the hard part, don't open the BBQ for at least 3/4's to an hour; just try and keep the heat around the 200 mark.

The only time you need to open the BBQ is to add some wood chips or take the internal temp of the fish.

When the fillet's internal temp is 140 to 150 they're done; any hotter and the meat will be dry.

You could also sprinkle a bit of orange and or lemon juice on the fillets before they go in the BBQ, along with your favorite spices.

If you're worried about or don't like a lot of salt you could soak the fillets in cold water for an hour before you place them out on a rack for drying.

Forgot to add; you should also put a pan of water, juice (Apple orange whatever) or your favorite beer in the BBQ while you're smoking; it'll add a bit of flavor and moisture.

Good luck and have fun.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

I would try a dry brine on them; it'll draw some of the heavy oils out before smoking them.

1 cup of course salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, crushed pepper corns, onion & garlic power to taste. Wash and pat fillets dry, then in a plastic or glass resealable container add all ingredients and mix. Now rub the brine all over the fillets; then cover fillet with remaining brine. Seal the lid on the container and place in the fridge for 8-10 hours. Don't use a metal pot for this; the brine could draw toxins out of aluminium or give the fillets a tinny taste from steel. You could line either with a food grade plastic bag.

When you take them out of the fridge, you'll be surprised at how much liquid has formed.

Wash the fillets in clean cold water and place on a drying rack and let stand for 5-6 hours, in a cool room not the fridge. During the drying time a sticky film will develop on the fillets and that's a good thing. It will allow the smoke to adhere and penetrate the meat better.

Use some type of fruit wood, they're not as harsh as hickory or some of the other woods.

Only use one of the BBQ's burners (assuming your's has two); wood on direct heat, fish on in-direct heat.

Get the BBQ heat up to around 200 degrees and then place your wood in. Once it starts to smoke place the fillets in; if they still have it, skin side down.

Now the hard part, don't open the BBQ for at least 3/4's to an hour; just try and keep the heat around the 200 mark.

The only time you need to open the BBQ is to add some wood chips or take the internal temp of the fish.

When the fillet's internal temp is 140 to 150 they're done; any hotter and the meat will be dry.

You could also sprinkle a bit of orange and or lemon juice on the fillets before they go in the BBQ, along with your favorite spices.

If you're worried about or don't like a lot of salt you could soak the fillets in cold water for an hour before you place them out on a rack for drying.

Forgot to add; you should also put a pan of water, juice (Apple orange whatever) or your favorite beer in the BBQ while you're smoking; it'll add a bit of flavor and moisture.

Good luck and have fun.

Dan.

iron chef! Thanks, that was a great read!!!

Good luck and have fun.

Dan.

I'll start on that right away :)