Shout out to FishnSled!

Headhunter

After 90+ hours of no power, our hydro finally came back on on Boxing Day at 6:30pm. It left us at 10:00pm on Dec 21st.

The first night was fairly eventless, with most of the household already asleep, when the outage hit.

A run to the grocery store for essentials and we as a family spent Sunday night together.

As Monday rolled in, I could tell that my wife and kids had had enough and they took up an offer from a friend that still had power. That's when my solitary confinement began.

I had limited fire wood here at home, to keep my fireplace going and keep my home from freezing up. With the generosity of neighbours, I had enough wood for a couple of days. I had heard that Oshawa had also been hit, so I called FishnSled the make sure he and his family were ok... They had power so no worrys there.

He asked my how I was doing, well, I wasn't doing great, sleeping on the floor in front of the fire place, the fire place that eats wood like a Kardasian eats men!

FnS said he had some wood in the back yard and after he and CCMT took the time to split it, he delivered it to my house! That wood saved my bacon and allowed me to stay in my house until the power finally came back on, on Boxing Day at 6:30pm.

I just wanted to again thank FishnSled for being the kind of friend that really exemplifies what a friend really is!

Thanks again Bud!

HH

PS... yes, having experience ice fishing certainly held me in good stead during this outage. I was actually quite shocked at how little my neighbours knew about cold weather survial and how to protect your house. And having the gear to survive was certainly an asset.

Glad you made it through it all Joe. :)
That was really great of Will and Cliff! Good on you fellas!

If you need any more cold weather survival tips, come up here for the next few days. lol

O ya, did your dog desert you too, or did he stay and keep you warm?

Edited by Bernie

Just me and the dog Bernie. I would stoke the fireplace, run over to where my wife and kids were nearby, grab a hot meal and get back home before the Kardasian, I mean fireplace ate all the wood. It was the only way to keep the house from freezing up.

The pup sure was confused for the first day or two!

And thanks again as well Cliff! Much appreciated buddy!

HH

After finally meeting Wil today after a mornings ice fishing,(Another of the bucket list)I can see he,s a real nice guy. Not that I thought any different.

Glad all worked out Joe.

The power of OFC shows again. :clapping:

004_zps15ee58f4.jpg

Edited by Misfish

Man I wish I had known, I had a 6500 watt generator sitting here that I would have been happy to loan to anyone that needed it! Strangly, with all the people suffering without power I only had one person try to contact me and that was Christmas eve. By the time I got their message and got back to them on boxing day they had power.

Anyway, glad it all worked out for you and once again OFC comes together to help one another!

Edited by Big Cliff

Gee Joe, if you KNEW how to text and that new device called a cell phone I would have gladly offered up my place for you to use.

As for the heat to save the house, I couldn't have helped there BUT I'm not shocked AT ALL as to who was able to help you there.

Maybe I should stock a lot more firewood here and get a stove installed some time soon... Nope, a geny for me due to Ins will be best.

So, now that things look semi normal around there let's go fishing... ;) RUBINS'S too! HAHA

A very nice story, glad to hear it all worked out and you where able to keep the pipes from freezing! I wasn't without power fortunately, but I know many who where out for long periods! I have a fireplace and plenty of wood, and lots of propane and spare fuel on hand, but this opened my eyes a bit wider, and I bit the bullet and bought a generator as well. If I never need it, so be it but it's there if I ever require one.

A very nice story, glad to hear it all worked out and you where able to keep the pipes from freezing! I wasn't without power fortunately, but I know many who where out for long periods! I have a fireplace and plenty of wood, and lots of propane and spare fuel on hand, but this opened my eyes a bit wider, and I bit the bullet and bought a generator as well. If I never need it, so be it but it's there if I ever require one.

I bought one earlier this fall,ran a wire into the house with ups power bar.Today,just tapped into my furnace power supply.Power out,swap furnace plugs,off the grid now.At least heat,lights,and a appliance on one at a time.Sure opened my eyes. Also glad everything worked out ok HH.

Well thank you Joe but certainly not necessary. Just a friend helping a friend in need. You may think differently once you get the invoice. :P:lol: I'm just glad I didn't throw that wood out on one of my dump runs this fall and that you could put it to good use. :) For half rotted wood it seem to burn OK.

Hey Joe! Will did all the work...I just happened to stop by at the wrong time and got roped into helping split wood and load the truck! Just kidding...the store bought fire logs were a gift from me...I stocked up in case our power went out again. All was good in Whitby....just a 4 hour outage for me.

I'm glad you had enough to keep you going til your lights came back on! It will certainly be a Christmas you won't ever forget.