Buckshot - NF

nancur373

Whooie, now there's some serious damage. I like when the kid turns and the barrel is pointed right at the camera, I hope his buddy wasn't manning the camera, I hope not.

Hollow point actually fractured and made more than one big entrance wound.

Keep up the good work Art.

Any opinion is valid as long as it does not become advice and that advice can be taken to heart and become hazardous to ones health and safety. Like the guy that suggested taking the plug out of the transom every time you head back to the dock to get all the water out from the bottom of the boat.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My opinion on the most exciting deer hunt differs from yours.

Running a chase with hunters on a line, a couple guys with dogs pushing towards the line.
When the howling dogs pick up a deer and runs it through to guys waiting at the end.

Shots being fired, them missing, and it continues toward you. Your heart races as the howling gets closer, you hear the bush crunching with activity. The deer is spotted doing a 100mph through the trees, you click off the safety and......

Sitting in a stand is not hunting either. when I hunted moose, caribou, bear, duck, goose, rabbit, or grouse back home we always walked the bush and bogs looking for the animals. If you were lucky enough to peak over a ridge and spot a few ducks or geese down in a pond that's where the easy part ended. then you had to sneak down to the pond, with no tree cover, and try to get close enough to get a shot. one or two ducks was a good day. 3-4 fantastic.

Sitting in a stand is not hunting either. when I hunted moose, caribou, bear, duck, goose, rabbit, or grouse back home we always walked the bush and bogs looking for the animals. If you were lucky enough to peak over a ridge and spot a few ducks or geese down in a pond that's where the easy part ended. then you had to sneak down to the pond, with no tree cover, and try to get close enough to get a shot. one or two ducks was a good day. 3-4 fantastic.

:P right...that's why all the TV hunting shows are about pushing :D ...again, all a matter of opinion ;)

besides that...I'm guessing you live and plan to shotgun hunt in southern Ontario, if you were north ofTo you'd be probably hunting rifle ;) ...and down here, with a shotgon you'll be hunting one week/year whereas bow season is 3 months...

and I'm not trying to convince you not to get a shotgun...I got 2 of them :P

Edited by iFish4real

Great shooting for real, but I do seem to recall seeing the guy doing it on TV, he is an expert at it. Your average shooter might not have the same results.

I don't think the shooter in the video would shoot at game that far away. The video was just for fun.

Shooting a slug at a deer at that range would be just as effective as buckshot at 100yds......

S.

I don't think the shooter in the video would shoot at game that far away. The video was just for fun.

Shooting a slug at a deer at that range would be just as effective as buckshot at 100yds......

S.

Agreed completely! My only point was that I seem to recall him in some marksmanship shows on the History channel. If it is the same guy he can shoot at anything he wants too, as long as it is not me! LOL

My favorite is snap shooting at rabbits. You get a tractor and bushhog and make a large square. you post one man on each corner shooting in one direction. As the tractor cuts the square from the outside in the rabbits jump out and run thru the cleared section. The action is fast and the shooting is challenging. We also used to wade thru the swamps and shoot squirrel from the trees. Find a squirrel post one man on the tree and the other person walks to the other side to chase him around till one of you gets a shot. While hunting is a lot of fun I also like to target shoot using bowling pins swinging on a rope. We use pistols at close range and back off for the rifles at one range we had a 50 Caliber sniper rifle shooting at a 12 inch disk at 800 yards. While it was costing $5.00 a shot the excitement of hitting the gong was worth every penny.

Art

Really, shooting deer at 100 yards with a shotgun :worthy::whistling::rolleyes:

Now I know why I see wounded deer.

Looking down the barrel of a shotgun at a deer at 100 yards the barrel covers 10' each side of the deer.

I caught a Perch the other day that must be 5 Lbs.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Your method of hunting rabbits would be totally illegal here, but sounds like it would be effective.

Im a wingshooter myself. Cant beat a moving target, and its a different shot everytime.

S.

Well the land you do it on has to owned by yourself or a willing neighbor. The process of cutting the field is something that is needed to be done the rabbits are just a byproduct of the job. I can remember the sheriff and a few local politicians being on the hunt from time to time.

Mainly good memories from a time that has passed... Sometimes it makes me wish that life didn't get so complicated as the world gets older.

Art

Really, shooting deer at 100 yards with a shotgun :worthy::whistling::rolleyes:

Now I know why I see wounded deer.

Looking down the barrel of a shotgun at a deer at 100 yards the barrel covers 10' each side of the deer.

I caught a Perch the other day that must be 5 Lbs.

Who said I was looking down the barrel? image_zps85190676.jpg

Most don't even fake a half a step.

I had to get the dogs out allot more often during bow season thats for sure.

I haven't got my permits up here for Canada yet but down in NC. we were allowed 6 deer a season :) so I had lots of practice over 5 years.

Fish farmer you have obviously never shot a modern rifled barrel slug gun... Please don't flap gums.

Edited by Freshtrax

Fish farmer you have obviously never shot a modern rifled barrel slug gun... Please don't flap gums.

I regret selling the rifled barrel I had for my 870. Off a rest and with a scope mounted, 3" groups at 125 yards and 4" at 150 yards with Remington copper solids was the norm. At 100 yards using the rifle sights it would shoot 4" groups all day long, but the price of sabots limited the fun.

Now I'm stuck with my H&R Ultralight 20 gauge that only shoots 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards. :D

I backed this thread up 1 hour to keep it on track. Do not go down the same path please. We need to respect other opinions and all the readers to judge if the info is useful to themselves.

Thanks

Art

I can understand why you deleted some of the posts, but I really didn't see the need to delete my one post outlining the general range limitations of each type of gun and projectile used as it was very informative for those who are new to the game and had nothing to do with the "off track" discussion Cliff and I were having.

Merry Christmas :santa:

Gezz you guys are good.

Do you use the traditional smooth bore with no optics while shooting rifled slugs? I did when I began hunting deer 11-12 years ago and my maximum effective range was 75 yards under ideal conditions. Then I bought a rifled barrel, 1.5-4.5 x 32mm scope, a few boxes of sabots, and was amazed that my groups at 150 yards were the same as the "traditional" setup would shoot at 50 yards.

Today's slug guns and sabots are basically short range rifles. I really recommend the H&R single shots for a very accurate gun at a low price and I'll never shoot a 12 gauge slug again after shooting the 20 gauge.