Buckshot - NF

nancur373

I can understand why you deleted some of the posts, but I really didn't see the need to delete my one post outlining the general range limitations of each type of gun and projectile used as it was very informative for those who are new to the game and had nothing to do with the "off track" discussion Cliff and I were having.

Merry Christmas :santa:

I returned it and edited the inflammatory portion but left the good information .

Merry Christmas back to you my friend.

Art

Do you use the traditional smooth bore with no optics while shooting rifled slugs? I did when I began hunting deer 11-12 years ago and my maximum effective range was 75 yards under ideal conditions. Then I bought a rifled barrel, 1.5-4.5 x 32mm scope, a few boxes of sabots, and was amazed that my groups at 150 yards were the same as the "traditional" setup would shoot at 50 yards.

Today's slug guns and sabots are basically short range rifles. I really recommend the H&R single shots for a very accurate gun at a low price and I'll never shoot a 12 gauge slug again after shooting the 20 gauge.

I agree with you on shooting on a still target. But most deer that we see in the controlled hunt are on the move. Even at 40 yards your lucky to get a good kill shot.

Yes, I use a smooth deer barrel with fiber optic sights. Model 12 Winchester that was custom modified by Elies gunsmith in Simcoe. I still have the original barrel for duck shooting.

I agree with you on shooting on a still target. But most deer that we see in the controlled hunt are on the move. Even at 40 yards your lucky to get a good kill shot.

Yes, I use a smooth deer barrel with fiber optic sights. Model 12 Winchester that was custom modified by Elies gunsmith in Simcoe. I still have the original barrel for duck shooting.

I tagged a deer yesterday at 34 yards with my crossbow as it was walking left to right in thick cover. :D This season I didn't use a stand or shotgun and did nothing but still hunt with the crossbow. This is the 4th deer I've taken in 4 seasons while still hunting with the crossbow with shots being at 11, 12, 20, and 34 yards. You sure learn a lot about your quarry when still hunting with a bow and sneaking up to them at such close range.

A 40 yard shot with a slug should be a guaranteed kill, unless the drivers in your group are pushing the bush too quickly and loudly resulting in running deer rather than deer that are slowly moving away from the drivers. Having the drivers move slowly and quietly towards the blockers usually results in much easier shots and the groups who do this tend to be more successful than the groups who simply go stomping through the bush making all kinds of racket. You may benefit from using buckshot by the sounds of it, providing you're willing to spend the money finding the load that your gun/choke combination shoots the best as what patterns great in one gun may be worthless in another.

My crossbow shoots tighter groups at 50 yards than the majority of smooth bore shotguns I've seen or used at the same range. :P