Need Brighter Headlights !!! NF

Entropy

Oh, gee, come on guys .... you are a caring bunch. Love ya too.

It's my headlights that are the problem, even my wife says they suck. Or, that might explain her choice in men, eh. lol

But, hey, an eye test wouldn't hurt. Will have to be after the xmas season, I have no money right now and have not started xmas shopping, and they cost what $90?

Entropy

The headlights work, both the high beams and low beams, and they seem to ‘land’ in the right spot on the road, but on wet roads or rainy roads at pre-dawn and after dark hours, it seems like it is just not enough light to drive safely. I drive country roads and do so at the speed limit or the usual over the limit, but I’m certain I’m over driving my lights. I’d love to see the deer and pot holes coming before I hit them.

If I understand your post correctly, this is only an issue in low light while it's raining and maybe some light fog or some steam coming off the road? Most people solve the problem you're having by driving according to the conditions and going slower than the speed limit to compensate for decreased visibility. I've drove an identical car as yours for a week and it's lights were fine on dark rainy nights when driving at appropriate speeds for the amount of rain coming down.

My pickup has bright head and fog lights and I still slow down in rainy and low light conditions...

The next time you find yourself over driving your lights, try slowing down 10-20 km/h. It'll work better than any light and it's cheaper too ;)

Hopefully not.. but glaucoma effects 0.5 % of folks under 50 and cataracts can happen at any age, and night driving being an issue is an early warning sign, as are bright lights coming at you being an issue (Cliff).

LOL, had cataracts, they were removed a few years ago and I was assured they can't come back. I do get my eyes tested every two years (less than a year ago now) all is good there according to the eye Dr.. 95% of the cars are fine, but there are those exceptions where you can tell that the lights either aren't stock or they aren't adjusted properly.

its scientifically impossible to outrun your lights, since its so new mention it to the dealer, demand new bulbs and that will be under warranty, its worth the try

Obviously it's impossible to travel faster than light. The term "outrunning your lights" refers to not driving according to the current conditions (low light and/or weather related) as your eyes and brain do not have enough time to process a sharp turn, pothole, or object on the road when you cannot see far enough ahead of the vehicle for the speed you're traveling.

The OP is describing the term in his initial post to a "T". Here is a better description than mine:

I listened as a State Policeman described an accident. The driver was traveling way too fast one night and missed a curve, that is, literally didn’t see the curve, and drove straight through it.

I asked, “What do you mean he missed the curve? Do you mean he didn’t turn his wheels enough to make the curve?”

“No,” the officer said. “He literally missed the curve. He was speeding so fast that he didn’t see the curve. It was night and his headlights didn’t light up the curve soon enough for him to react and turn his wheels. He outran his headlights.”

Sylvania silver star head lights..Crappy tire sells them..Its gonna cost ya $100 bucks but they work well..I have them in my 08 Ram I had the stock bulbs for all of a month and tossed them away..Horrible. HID kits will cost you a fortune and they are your worst nightmare when following people at night..You will get the jerks that slam on their brakes and pull over just to get behind you to high beam you.. My hunting Buddie sold his HID kit within 3 weeks on kijiji for this reason far too dangerous stupid people do stupid things..Go with the silver star bulbs I believe they claim they are 33% brighter they also claim that you can see 33% further..I love mine..
Check them out here
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-ultra.aspx

Edited by tb4me

I put a set of GE Nighthawk Platinum's in today. Canadian Tire had them for 50% off, and they claim to be 90% brighter. Will give them a try Monday morning.

I'd take it for a rip this eve but think a few beer while helping a neighbour fix up his ice hut would be in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

lol,

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

Sylvania silver star head lights..Crappy tire sells them..Its gonna cost ya $100 bucks but they work well..I have them in my 08 Ram I had the stock bulbs for all of a month and tossed them away..Horrible. HID kits will cost you a fortune and they are your worst nightmare when following people at night..You will get the jerks that slam on their brakes and pull over just to get behind you to high beam you.. My hunting Buddie sold his HID kit within 3 weeks on kijiji for this reason far too dangerous stupid people do stupid things..Go with the silver star bulbs I believe they claim they are 33% brighter they also claim that you can see 33% further..I love mine..

Check them out here

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-ultra.aspx

I added OEM fog lights to my 07 Ram and it made a huge difference as they're nearly as bright as the low beam headlights so you're basically adding another set of headlights. Plus they make the truck look much better as I think Ram bumpers without fog lights are damn ugly. I rarely find myself flipping on the high beams and I'm one of those guys who likes to turn night into day with bright lights.

You should see my ATV light up the trails with this dual spotlight box I made up.

atvlight.jpg

I put a set of GE Nighthawk Platinum's in today. Canadian Tire had them for 50% off, and they claim to be 90% brighter. Will give them a try Monday morning.

I'd take it for a rip this eve but think a few beer while helping a neighbour fix up his ice hut would be in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

lol,

Entropy

Let us know how they work!

They are brighter, but the difference isn't 'night and day'. There is a definite increase in light. I'm happy with the results and now feel I have enough light.

I now wish my dash lights would dim lower. My old vehicle had half of the dash lights burnt out, and it would dim down to nothing. This Hyundai with the dimmer all the way down still gives off more light than I'd like, and the radio backlight display is like having a laptop on beside you. It has a stupid little 'Disp' you can hit to turn off the backlight, but then it comes on when you touch the volume. Might tint the display on the radio and the gauge cluster next. lol.

Entropy

They are brighter, but the difference isn't 'night and day'. There is a definite increase in light. I'm happy with the results and now feel I have enough light.

I now wish my dash lights would dim lower. My old vehicle had half of the dash lights burnt out, and it would dim down to nothing. This Hyundai with the dimmer all the way down still gives off more light than I'd like, and the radio backlight display is like having a laptop on beside you. It has a stupid little 'Disp' you can hit to turn off the backlight, but then it comes on when you touch the volume. Might tint the display on the radio and the gauge cluster next. lol.

Entropy

I had a 2006 SantaFe and the dash and radio was the same. A cool looking blue in the day time but at night even with it dimmed all the way down was blinding. My Sierra goes low enough and my Neon can turn completely off.

Great idea on the ATV upgrades!

Thanks!

I like the idea of having a spotlight on the ATV for our runs in the dark, but the plastic housings don't fair too well when you roll the machine. The first one lasted a few months before I rolled and broke the housing so I bought another one and broke that one on the next run after rolling the ATV again. I was going to toss them, but figured I'd make that box as the actual lights were still good. I also put a light on the back of it to light up the ATV and provide ambient lighting during night time pit stops. The entire box is removable with a 4 ft wire lead which allows me to use it as a flashlight while working on machines in the bush.

Gotta love a little redneck ingenuity :canadian:

I have had HID kits in my last 4 vehicles. Couldnt imagine driving a vehicle without them ever again. Never had any issues with other drivers once! People are just stupid and dont know how to line up their headlights, and buy kits with 8000k-12000k bulbs. I use 5000k bulbs with all my kits and they cost me less then a good set of halogen bulbs. My last kit was $70. They last way longer, cost less and put out way better and cleaner light. For optimum visibility get a kit with 4500k bulbs which is a true white light. All the kits you guys are complaining about, i guarantee are 8000k+ kits on a truck or SUV. They draw much less power from battery and alternator and u will never kill a battery if u forget to shut the lights off, just one of few perks.

Yup 5000k hid about perfect have 8000k on a snowmobile can lite up all of sturgep n lake at nite lol as for bulbs incandescent bulbs lose brightness over time so those dull yellow halogen are ready for replacement. Have used silverstars and night hawks amd they do increase lite output

Thanks!

I like the idea of having a spotlight on the ATV for our runs in the dark, but the plastic housings don't fair too well when you roll the machine. The first one lasted a few months before I rolled and broke the housing so I bought another one and broke that one on the next run after rolling the ATV again. I was going to toss them, but figured I'd make that box as the actual lights were still good. I also put a light on the back of it to light up the ATV and provide ambient lighting during night time pit stops. The entire box is removable with a 4 ft wire lead which allows me to use it as a flashlight while working on machines in the bush.

Gotta love a little redneck ingenuity :canadian:

Just quit rolling the machines, you will save yourself a lot of trouble :whistling:

I have had HID kits in my last 4 vehicles. Couldnt imagine driving a vehicle without them ever again. Never had any issues with other drivers once! People are just stupid and dont know how to line up their headlights, and buy kits with 8000k-12000k bulbs. I use 5000k bulbs with all my kits and they cost me less then a good set of halogen bulbs. My last kit was $70. They last way longer, cost less and put out way better and cleaner light. For optimum visibility get a kit with 4500k bulbs which is a true white light. All the kits you guys are complaining about, i guarantee are 8000k+ kits on a truck or SUV. They draw much less power from battery and alternator and u will never kill a battery if u forget to shut the lights off, just one of few perks.

Any HID in a reflector housing is stupid, the lumen of the bulb doesn't matter.

Any HID in a reflector housing is stupid, the lumen of the bulb doesn't matter.

What exactly do you think is stupid about it? I have HID kit in my sierra and it made the world of a difference. Nobody has ever high-beamed me in anger because they get blinded. On the other hand, my best friend just bought a brand new F-150 with projector headlights and gets beamed by 1 of 10 cars passing by because they blind everybody. As long as the headlights are positioned properly i dont see what hatred you have against them.