Winter is on the way, what is your alternative for power---Generator or 12 volt inverter?

npt1

Hi Everyone.

With the snow just around the corner, the ice storms are sure to follow.

That means power outages for us all at some point.

What is your backup method for establishing hydro at your residence?

Why have you chosen the way you have to fix the temporary issue ?

Also, what is your preferred source of heat when the power is out?

Generator. Unless you have a healthy sized battery bank, a 12 volt inverter won't cut the mustard. Then you need to recharge the batteries if it lasts more than a day or intermittently. I always have a couple of gallons of fresh gas that gets rotated, so the genny can always be fired up. Preferred source of heat would be a wood burner but I don't have that setup. I can disconnect my furnace from the power panel so there's no backfeeding into the grid and injuring anyone. A freezer will keep cold for at least 24 hours if you keep the door shut. If it's cold enough outside, frozen food can be stored in containers outside, same with some of the sutff from the fridge.

Remember that whatever a 120vac appliance uses in amps, it uses 10 times that much on a 12vdc inverter. That doesn't include the extra start up draw on motorized items, such as compressors for fridges, freezers, furnaces, water pumps, sump pumps, etc.

Wood stove (lots of wood, and way to get more), kerosene lamps (lots of kerosene), 4000 watt portable generator with extension cords. I've got 3 days of gas on hand for genny plus fuel for snow blower and chain saw. Deep cycle battery and 700 watt inverter to power internet tower and telephone for when I don't want to plug in the generator.

My generator uses 10 L of gas in 10 hrs at half load. If I want to last 3 days running 24 hrs a day at half load, that = 1 L gas per hour, so 3 days x 24 hrs = 72 Liters of gasoline for just 3 days. Makes you think what you would need for 2 weeks, eh. 14 x 24 = 336 Liters!

Entropy

Wood stove (lots of wood, and way to get more), kerosene lamps (lots of kerosene), 4000 watt portable generator with extension cords. I've got 3 days of gas on hand for genny plus fuel for snow blower and chain saw. Deep cycle battery and 700 watt inverter to power internet tower and telephone for when I don't want to plug in the generator.

My generator uses 10 L of gas in 10 hrs at half load. If I want to last 3 days running 24 hrs a day at half load, that = 1 L gas per hour, so 3 days x 24 hrs = 72 Liters of gasoline for just 3 days. Makes you think what you would need for 2 weeks, eh. 14 x 24 = 336 Liters!

Entropy

thats alot of cans of beans!!!

after going without power for 5 days last february at our old place with no heat (propane furnance still requires hydro to operate), i made sure the new place had a secondary source of heat (wood stove) + our regular stove is nat gas for cooking. looking at kijiji for a deal on a generator to power the sump, fridge and a couple of lights.

I would love a steady gas supply and a few gennies. Waaay outta the budget at this time though. We do have access to a hydraulic splitter though and cords upon cords of wood. We already live in the bush and if we need to, we are fine food heat and water wise. Out kids are acclimated to life outdoors as well, something im quite proud of (although we wouldnt literally be outdoors)

Exactly!

I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about the power going out? People have survived for generations with a lot less than we have now.

I guess some people know how to survive, and some.......well.......they just don't. Survival of the fittest?? Or survival of the richest??

Exactly!

I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about the power going out? People have survived for generations with a lot less than we have now.

I guess some people know how to survive, and some.......well.......they just don't. Survival of the fittest?? Or survival of the richest??

sur ival of the richest without a doubt! And richest meaning experienced and knowledgable in life without power or limited power. Hunters and anglers and outdoors enthusiasts for the win Edited by manitoubass2

I love camping and roughing it as much as the next guy, just not in the middle of winter with a 15 month old.

ive done it with my daughter around that age (camping that is). Two weeks and she loved every minute of it accept for the first and second night. That started first week of october. No worries, kids adapt just like adults. Of course it required some work on the parents end. But big deal its highly rewarding for all if they know their stuff. That being said, life in the city without power must really suck Edited by manitoubass2

ive done it with my daughter around that age (camping that is). Two weeks and she loved every minute of it accept for the first and second night

you camped with your 15 month old daughter for two weeks in the ,middle of winter?? did your wife have a heart attack?

summer, sure no problem.

But that being said, we could survive winter no doubt. Just need the knowhow and a few supplies. My wifes family snared rabbits all winter, survived in teepees with large amounts of young family. Youd be surprised how easy it is to survive in the cold if your mentally and physically prepared