Possible World Record Size Moose Shot

bobowski

Possible world record size moose shot in Yukon

CBC News Posted: Oct 16, 2013 6:31 PM CT Last Updated: Oct 16, 2013 8:59 PM CT

Dawson City hunter Heinz Naef shot a huge bull moose last month that he thinks might be the largest one ever harvested.

giant-moose.jpg

Hunter Heinz Naef shot what he believes could be the largest moose ever harvested in Yukon last month. (Photo courtesy Brian Naef)

Naef shot the giant moose where the Stewart River meets the Yukon River on Sept. 25.

He says it took him a while to realize just how big the animal was. But after measuring it, he now believes it just might have set a world record.

"It didn't set in until we were in the midst of butchering the animal," Naef says. "It's not the first big moose we have but we didn't realize how big it actually was until I put the tape on him and measured him, then it was really big."

560 kilograms

Naef estimates the moose weighs more than 560 kilograms — that's more than 1250 pounds.

The current world record, as judged by a series of antler measurements, is held by a moose that was shot on the Alaskan side of the border.

He measures the antlers at 75 and 1/4 inches (191 centimetres), which would be a record. But they often shrink in the drying process. Official measurement rules say the antlers have to be dried for two months before they can be officially recorded.

Heinz says he hunts for meat and has no interest in the antlers, so if they turn out to be a world record size, Naef would like to see them displayed in public.

Why the double standard in hunting and fishing?

If that were a world record sized muskie dead, many would be up-in-arms, but since this is a moose, is it meant to be hunted and shot?

I'm not agianst hunting by any stretch, but why discrepancy?

Heinz hunts for food not trophies.

He is donating the rack to the territory to put on display.

He didn't go out to kill the biggest moose he could find, it just happened that this one came along.

It could have easily been a small racked moose and would have suffered the same fate.

Moose sausage, roasts, steaks, burgers................................... ;)

Why the double standard in hunting and fishing?

If that were a world record sized muskie dead, many would be up-in-arms, but since this is a moose, is it meant to be hunted and shot?

I'm not agianst hunting by any stretch, but why discrepancy?

Its not really possible to kill something , take a picture , revive it, then release it.

Not a double standard.... its a completely different sport.

I'm sure you understood this prior to making your post aswell.

Not if you shoot it with a camera :D

I've been told by a CO , that there are talks about taking photos , say you stumble upon a game animal , it's fine to take a picture ... but .. If you intentionally stalk the game to take it's photo it could be considered hunting and a stiff fine could be laid on the photographer .

That's a nice Bull , 1250 lbs .. dunno how that would be a record .

I've been told by a CO , that there are talks about taking photos , say you stumble upon a game animal , it's fine to take a picture ... but .. If you intentionally stalk the game to take it's photo it could be considered hunting and a stiff fine could be laid on the photographer .

I'd like to see that in court.

JUDGE "So sir, you were charged for hunting illegally, but you had no gun. Is that correct?"

DEFENDANT "Yes your honor"

JUDGE "You have to be kidding, right?"

DEFENDANT "No your honor"

That would be laughable to witness. :clapping:

So if you are a photographer, you have to make sure there are no animals around or you will be charged with hunting illegally. :dunno:

What a joke

Edited by muskymatt

I'd like to see that in court.

JUDGE "So sir, you were charged for hunting, but you had no gun. Is that correct?"

DEFENDANT "Yes your honor"

JUDGE "You have to be kidding, right?"

DEFENDANT "No your honor"

That would be laughable to witness. :clapping:

So if you are a photographer, you have to make sure there are no animals around or you will be charged with hunting illegally. :dunno:

What a joke

have you seen the way Society is heading lately...does it surprise ya lol

I was in the Sail store in Burlington this past Friday. On the second floor is what is supposed to be the world record moose from Alaska full mount on display. That rack on that Moose in Burlington is no where the size of the moose in the pic from the Yukon. The Yukon pic looks to be far larger. The distance from the inside of each side of the rack is maybe 3 feet on the mounted moose in the Sail store. I don't know moose but the one in the store doesn't look that huge to me. Has anyone here seen that mount in Burlington who knows what they're talking about? It may be the photo but the distance from the left and right side looks like much more than a few feet. Maybe like holding a fish towards the camera to make it look bigger.

According to the 2013/2014 Ontario Hunting Summary, the definition of hunting as written on page 86 states:

"includes lying in wait for, searching for, being on the trail of, pursuing, chasing or shooting at wildlife, whether or not the wildlife is killed, injured, captured, or harassed. You need a hunting licence to do any of these things, except where the Fish and Wildlife Conservation act, 1997, states otherwise."

On that note, the Fish and wildlife conservation act, 1997 (Part 1) states:

"except that “hunting” does not include:

(d) lying in wait for, searching for, being on the trail of or pursuing wildlife for a purpose other than attempting to kill, injure, capture or harass it, unless the wildlife is killed, injured, captured or harassed as a result."

So by that token, stalking game so long as you don't shoot it with a gun/arrow, kill it, injure it, capture it or harass it, you should be perfectly fine taking pictures of it. The only way I could see you harrassing the animal was if you tried to chase it down with your camera in an ATV or a 4x4 truck. If the animal doesn't even know you're there while you take pictures, what harm has been done?