I almost killed a poacher

redpearl99

Yesterday I went to Bowmanville to volunteer for the fish lift. Little did I know that it got canceled at the last minute so I drove out there for nothing. The river was packed with fish just south of the dam and there were multiple snaggers around. But what pi$$ed me off was that I saw a relatively young asian man using one of those huge tuna lifting poles (essentially a huge hook attached to a long broom handle) to pierce fish at the side of the river and drag them into his stupid ice cooler.

So after running for the cops at happened to just drive by, I came back to my spot and caught him in the act of poaching more innocent salmon out of the river. I confronted him and let the F words fly. He played all dumb ("me no speak English, me sorry") but I had no patience for it. After yelling at him and telling him to get the hell out of the creek or he'll be under arrest I went back to his ice cooler and dumped his entire catch back into river and threw the cooler in the dirt path. He left and didn't come back.

I was extremely angry at this dude and had to save myself from kicking his a$$ on the spot.

Take my word here - don't be a superhero. Don't get me wrong, you have the right intentions except your execution is a bit off unless you are ready to go face to face with a knife wielding snagger then everything is good. Call the cops or MNR and let them deal with it.

with very little MNR presence down here, I guess this one of the only ways to "clean up or waterways"

this thread likely won't last long, but I like what you did (without violence), I'm proud of you, you could have turned a blind eye but you stood up

the knife wielding snagger would have had to cross the river in no waders to get to me.... then he would have to confront my fillet knife. I knew it was a dangerous move, but I coudnt hold it in any longer

Even though you thought you were doing the right thing, I don't think it's really worth the hassle of a knife fight.

I understand your intent, but they guy could have had you charge with harrassment, and you would have been guilty.

Be careful doing stuff like that. What if he had a few buddies with him??

S.

1) I am an officer of the courts so I highly doubt any cop would ever charge me with harassment for what I did.

2) If he was with buddies I obviously wouldn't have confronted him.

1) I am an officer of the courts so I highly doubt any cop would ever charge me with harassment for what I did.

2) If he was with buddies I obviously wouldn't have confronted him.

I'm betting all the guys that said you should have left him alone voted liberal