What happened to Shimano's customer service :(

buckhorn250

I'll start by saying that I have been a loyalty Shimano customer for years have have over 50 rod and reel combos (nobody tell my wife). Over the years I have been vocal at the amazing service I have received and have posted such messages on OFC.

But something has happened. Over the winter I purchased a new Cumara rod and in the day of bass opener the rod snapped on a cast ( at the handle). I dropped it off at Shimano in Peterborough and they said it definitely looked like a flawed blank..but that the rod had to go in for review to see if it qualified for replacement...not the greatest experience compared to the past but tolerable. 3 weeks later I was shipped a replacement rod...a Crucial. They downgraded the replacement for some reason and I called in. 'No problem just ship the Curcial back and we'll send you out a Cumara'...which I did. Then I was told the Cumara was back ordered until mid August...late August comes..no rod. I call in, now its backordered until end of October. So I buy a top of the line rod and miss out on the entire season.

This type of frustration with Shimano was a new experience for me, in the past it has been all surprise and delight. I submit a complaint through their website, no response, I submit an escalation complaint...that was 5 weeks ago. Still no response.

I hope that Shimano monitors OFC for related topics (if not, they should this is a wealth of customer feedback for any manufacture) So my question is simple

Shimano, what happened to your customer service !!??

If this is a strategic change in direction, its the wrong one. Focus group of one, but I'm looking for 3 new combos, in the past there would be no decision other then which Shimano product to buy...not so any more. Sad day.

thanks for allowing a forum for me to rank

A former loyal Shimano customer

I'll start by saying that I have been a loyalty Shimano customer for years have have over 50 rod and reel combos (nobody tell my wife). Over the years I have been vocal at the amazing service I have received and have posted such messages on OFC.

But something has happened. Over the winter I purchased a new Cumara rod and in the day of bass opener the rod snapped on a cast ( at the handle). I dropped it off at Shimano in Peterborough and they said it definitely looked like a flawed blank..but that the rod had to go in for review to see if it qualified for replacement...not the greatest experience compared to the past but tolerable. 3 weeks later I was shipped a replacement rod...a Crucial. They downgraded the replacement for some reason and I called in. 'No problem just ship the Curcial back and we'll send you out a Cumara'...which I did. Then I was told the Cumara was back ordered until mid August...late August comes..no rod. I call in, now its backordered until end of October. So I buy a top of the line rod and miss out on the entire season.

This type of frustration with Shimano was a new experience for me, in the past it has been all surprise and delight. I submit a complaint through their website, no response, I submit an escalation complaint...that was 5 weeks ago. Still no response.

I hope that Shimano monitors OFC for related topics (if not, they should this is a wealth of customer feedback for any manufacture) So my question is simple

Shimano, what happened to your customer service !!??

If this is a strategic change in direction, its the wrong one. Focus group of one, but I'm looking for 3 new combos, in the past there would be no decision other then which Shimano product to buy...not so any more. Sad day.

thanks for allowing a forum for me to rank

A former loyal Shimano customer

I would be raising more hell right now. That Bull what they did personally and I'm a loyal Shimano/G Loomis fan too. Thankfully over the 20 years I've owned a Shimano product I never broke a rod..*knock on wood* so I haven't tested their warranty ever, why I am fan because they are just reliable. I hope I don't have to go through this. By the way, if you frequent the TT boards, you could always post there in the Shimano Support Forum - Bantam1 is the Shimano Rep there and is top notch at assisting people. Maybe try him? (I actually have a V Rod that has a minor issue with the reel locking, he said I could get it replaced since it's a defect after years of having it. I didn't replace it because it has sentimental value, it was a rod I first used when I started bass fishing hardcore. I'll probably just get it fixed locally because I don't want to replace it with a new rod.)

I would be raising more hell right now. That Bull what they did personally and I'm a loyal Shimano/G Loomis fan too. Thankfully over the 20 years I've owned a Shimano product I never broke a rod..*knock on wood* so I haven't tested their warranty ever, why I am fan because they are just reliable. I hope I don't have to go through this. By the way, if you frequent the TT boards, you could always post there in the Shimano Support Forum - Bantam1 is the Shimano Rep there and is top notch at assisting people. Maybe try him? (I actually have a V Rod that has a minor issue with the reel locking, he said I could get it replaced since it's a defect after years of having it. I didn't replace it because it has sentimental value, it was a rod I first used when I started bass fishing hardcore. I'll probably just get it fixed locally because I don't want to replace it with a new rod.)

he'll just tell you to call the canadian office.....been there done that.

I should hold back a little here as Shimano takes care of more customers rods and reels than anybody else, but you have made some good points. I see dozens of rods yearly turn around quickly and not very quickly and a lot of hit has to do with new lineup's of rods and backordered products. The US gets many rods before us north of the border and a backordered replacement is quite common. Ugly Stick travel rods were backordered for 4 months from Pure Fishing so customers waited months for those...just a example.

When I send out rods Shimano gets them within 3 days and what is in stock and around them in Peterborough get's sent right away. If they told you the rod would be back late August then you should of got it then or at thee worst early September. What model did you break? I've seen some Worm & Jig replacements come back as well as several in the "Spinnerbait" lineup in under 4 weeks time. I love Shimano still because they always seem to offer a no charge warranty and they do a immense about of contributions in our fishing industry.

Hope you see your new rod soon. I'm still waiting 2 month's for my uncles Pflueger Spinning reel, and on week 13 on a friends Fenwick so your not the only one. Chris Giles is a pleasure to deal with at Shimano in Peterborough (Warranty/Repair) if you can find his contact speak with him over the phone. Timing is not Shimano's fault or yours...you could of broke it earlier in the year and had it by now...It's just bad timing man I called and knew ahed my 6'10MH Cumara Spinnerbait rod was backordered after it broke so I ordered a Looimis so I wouldn't miss out (guide rapped too tight instant snap opening week just like you).

Regardless don't hate too much, Shimano is very good but I wish they stocked more rods for warranty.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I should hold back a little here as Shimano takes care of more customers rods and reels than anybody else, but you have made some good points. I see dozens of rods yearly turn around quickly and not very quickly and a lot of hit has to do with new lineup's of rods and backordered products. The US gets many rods before us north of the border and a backordered replacement is quite common. Ugly Stick travel rods were backordered for 4 months from Pure Fishing so customers waited months for those...just a example.

When I send out rods Shimano gets them within 3 days and what is in stock and around them in Peterborough get's sent right away. If they told you the rod would be back late August then you should of got it then or at thee worst early September. What model did you break? I've seen some Worm & Jig replacements come back as well as several in the "Spinnerbait" lineup in under 4 weeks time. I love Shimano still because they always seem to offer a no charge warranty and they do a immense about of contributions in our fishing industry.

Hope you see your new rod soon. I'm still waiting 2 month's for my uncles Pflueger Spinning reel, and on week 13 on a friends Fenwick so your not the only one. Chris Giles is a pleasure to deal with at Shimano in Peterborough (Warranty/Repair) if you can find his contact speak with him over the phone. Timing is not Shimano's fault or yours...you could of broke it earlier in the year and had it by now...It's just bad timing man I called and knew ahed my 6'10MH Cumara Spinnerbait rod was backordered after it broke so I ordered a Looimis so I wouldn't miss out (guide rapped too tight instant snap opening week just like you).

Regardless don't hate too much, Shimano is very good but I wish they stocked more rods for warranty.

Thanks Mike...it is a worm and Jig rod...the 6-6.

Like I said, I have been a huge fan of Shimano. I work in the Customer Experience and Loyalty industry and I have used them as an example of a company that get customer experience. Writing this post was really tough for me. But I did some searching and it looks like this is not an isolated incident and that something has changed. It sad to see a company that really got CE fall so far so fast.

In my experiences with rod breakages (few and far between) the retailer would simply exchange out of stock. This is the kind of service you get when shopping at bps, sail, lebarons and JB's in my experience.

Sail replaced my snapped Abu Villain over the counter and it was 2 months after the purchase with no receipt.... Gagnons also was willing to replace a snapped carrotstix e21, but didnt have the model i wanted. Offered me any other rod, or wait 3 weeks for replacement. I waited the three weeks and they sent me a spinning rod by mistake, so he gave me money back and i bought a worm/jig Cumara instead. He phoned me a couple weeks later and told me they finally received the right rod, and i took that as well. Lol

He wants them to at least engage in a discussion and call him back. Maybe offer him some kind of option. Is that too much to ask spinnerbait?

Thanks Landry...that's exactly it. Customer loyalty (and mine with Shimano) is often built when something goes wrong, The manner in which a manufacture treat you during issues is critical. I had 2 warranty experiences with Shimano bad guides on 2 rods...exchanged the rods no questions asked and actually upgraded me, and I broke the handle on one of my Curados...went to get a paid repair and the refused to take my money...kept saying " it should not have broke". These happened several years ago and based on these types of experiences, why would I buy anything else. But like I keep saying...something has changed.I kept reading that they were clawing back on their warranty process but didn't want to believe it. Thanks again for all the feedback

C

Warranty and quality went downhill? No I dont beleive it. Thats crazy talk.

Ive had problems in the past but they sorted it out. One took me 5 months...then they shipped wrong rod. I hope they getback to you its annoying...they better get their act together......especially loomis related !

Never had a problem yet with shimano. I have broken 3 crucials over the years. Drove 10 mins to the warehouse here and Peterborough, never asked for a receipt or warranty paper. Just my address and every time within 3 weeks a new crucial was at my door. Sure they were foam handles instead of the cork ones which the broken ones were, but I remember saying damn that aint shabby broken rod after 3 years of use and I get a new one, ok I will keep buying shimano. Now maybe that's because they weren't high end rods like cumaras but its too bad everybody hasn't had the good luck ive had with the customer service. Perhaps my lucks gunna run out.

shimano's customer service has fallen off the cliff and is spiraling out of control.

i had a broken crankbait rod that took 10 months to replace the rod.

i had four nrx reel seats fail (glue issue).

i had shimano 4000 ci4 drags fail on the FIRST king salmon hooked.

the list will go on and on.

unfortunately no other manufacturer has picked up the slack when comparing to high end equipment.