Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

Well after sleeping on lastnights win i have some thoughts..We played well..I honestly think that were a top 6 team league wide. The Leafs have elite special teams were sitting 3rd on pp and 3rd on pk.so far this season.Were down 4 of out top forwards right now too.Should be an interesting next few months..3 games till we get our future team Caption, David Clarkson back. Go Leafs Go!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Sorta of stating the obvious here but defense is played by all 6 players on the ice.

backchecking is definitely a huge part of defense but it seems to me that the leafs need help with getting out of their zone... i don't think they are giving up lots of odd man rushes or anything, it just seems like opposing teams are able to hem the leafs into their zone... i think they need someone to make the first pass for them and i don't think Phaneuf is the guy... Were I the GM, i'd be looking for a stronger D man to pair with phaneuf than gunnarson.

Well after sleeping on lastnights win i have some thoughts..We played well..I honestly think that were a top 6 team league wide. The Leafs have elite special teams were sitting 3rd on pp and 3rd on pk.so far this season.Were down 4 of out top forwards right now too.Should be an interesting next few months..3 games till we get our future team Caption, David Clarkson back. Go Leafs Go!

I am a die hard Leafs fan but I would have to disagree. Yes we are playing well now, yes we look very good offensively, and yes our goal tending tandem is much improved. Lots of good things to look forward to. But when our best D-man right now is a 19 year old... that is a bit of an issue. We can't be out shot every game all season and expect to keep winning. Saturday night will be a real test of what we are made of. That being said, it is a great start to the season and hopefully we can keep rolling.

Go Leafs Go

Anyone who thinks this team is going anywhere givin their current play, is delusional. The Leafs have be fortunate to have the record they have. Goaltending has been their saving grace. Without it, this thread would be far more interesting. They have played one teamso far this year, that has been on a roll and Patty Roy's team made us look pretty bad.

Agreed that Saturday night's game should be a decent barometer for this team.

On the up side, if they simply play .500 from here on in, they should make the playoffs.

However, as far as I can see, they are only one or two injuries away, from being in some trouble.

HH

Se now im a glass half full kinda guy..Once we get our full lineup back its a different story..Phaneuf is an issue thou..He looked like he was wearing 60 pound lead skates last night..As for now were down Clarkson, Mclearen and JVR there is someone else too but I cant remember who. Right now our special teams are top 3 guys..Thats with the Marlie go round lineup we have had so far this season..I see a real good team here..A different team from last year too..Who do we play on Sat? I cant wait to end this west coast games run..

I agree ,we were lucky to win that game with all the penalties.Defence sucks,let's face it.As said this team cannot carry on with a 30 plus shots against every night.The goalies can only win so many games.Phaneuf IMO is far to slow and not consistant at all.Nonus must address this sooner than later.

I also agree in Chicago Sat will be there first real test. Let's concentrate on the defence.Two veterans imo,don't know how they will do that,is needed now!!!If not I think were in for a nose dive soon.

Yikes! But im actually really looking forward to that game now..Lets see where we stand against the defending champs..Im also looking forward to Pittsburgh and Washington games too!

Oh I wished I had the same enthusiasm as you. Me not so much lol. Reality will finaly set in.I hope not,but we can see it coming ,I do.!!

Edited by davey buoy

Clearing the zone is our biggest issue imo. The wingers should move up higher on the boards and the d needs to stop playing the puck up the boards softly. Thats where all those turnovers that lead to shots are coming from. Blast the friggen puck up the boards and trust your wings to make a play or touch it and get it deep. Just my 0.02 (armchair coach lol)

ahaha best phaneuf description

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJH-CMnA7PI

That's funny.

Maybe Burke will take Phaneuf back now that he's with Calgary. I know he isn't the GM, but I'm sure he has some pull. They should definitely reduce his ice time if they can't trade him, I think he does better with a limited role. Hopefully Mark Frazier cames back soon.

Under a hour guys,can we continue the winning streak??Wonder who's starting in net?

Well it was Reimer that started, but that quickly changes after Levio accidentally kneed him in the head, 39 seconds in.....Reims out Bernier in...Crap..

James Reimer is back on the #Leafs bench. Remember when the NHL approved a "mandatory dark room" policy, then didn't actually followthrough?

If he is ok to play he should start the 2nd? thoughts?

Edited by tb4me