NF--1st Trip To Montreal (And Respecting The Local Culture)

brw

Friends:

The better half and I will soon be celebrating our 25th on our 1st trip to Montreal. Although I consider myself a well worn vet of traveling in God's Country and Ontario in particular, this is our 1st trip to Quebec. Although it's been years since I had French class, we really want to try to respect the local customs and cultures, including trying to speak the language. Any do's and don'ts (as well as handy reference language translation guides) and/or war stories would be greatly appreciated, or should I say tres bien!

Thanks to all who respond.

It would be very unlikely that you would encounter many/any locals that don't understand English in Montreal. Being extra polite goes a long way.

Old Montreal would be a definite place for a walk and Mount Royal would be another.

No right turns on a red light if you are driving.

I have been traveling to Montreal 2-3 times a year on business for the past 20 years and always enjoyed it. This summer I went with my wife and 16 year daughter for pure pleasure for the first time and it was great. You can walk from one end of down town to the other in a hour. People are great, restaurants are fantastic. Spend some time and just walk from bar to cafe to the next bar and soak up some of the atmosphere. I am not religious at all but some of the churches were just gorgeous to walk through.

Enjoy yourself

Thanks Paudash and K-Frog for the good advice. We will do just that. Still apprehensive about embarrasing myself w/ bad French though...all those years goofing off in French class will finally catch up w/ me....

definitely stop at Schwartz!

3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard · Montréal, Québec · H2W 1X9 ·

Smoked meat is amazing. Expect to line up and its not a fancy place. Worth the wait! I usually bring a cooler with me to montreal and take some smoked meat home with me. Another thing, buy beer! Its cheaper in Que. so worth it to bring back. I've heard ( don't know if my buddy was messing with me) that you can buy 80 cans of beer at Costco for $55. :clapping: . Regardless enjoy your trip. Its beautiful there and you won't have an issue with speaking English with everyone.

Nick

I kinda take offense to this generalized statement. Its a bit like me saying, I live in Quebec because Ontario residents are wishy washy and hickish. Some are....some aren't :angel: You probably had a bad experience or stayed in a cheap resort. :whistling:

4eyes.....Check out Mount Royal, St Josephs Oratory and Botanical Gardens. There is an International Horticultural Sculpture contest going on there till sept 29.

Bring a rod and reel too. Great walleye fishing right off the docks in the Old Port. Day permits are around 12 bucks and available at most of the tackle shops around town.

Ever travel to Cuba or Dominican? You'll never meet a ruder bunch of travellers! Almost need a Quebec section roped off.

Ever travel to Cuba or Dominican? You'll never meet a ruder bunch of travellers! Almost need a Quebec section roped off.

I have seen examples of what you are referring to BUT that's with travellers all over the world. Even ones from Ontario! Its the person NOT the country/city/province they are from. I have met some really nice people from Quebec in my travels. We have some interesting conversations about hockey while sipping on Cerveza smoking a stogie. Man I want to go on vaca again!

:)

Nick

I agree 100%.

I've had some bad experiences, but will not elaborate on here.

Edited by N.A.W

Friends:

The better half and I will soon be celebrating our 25th on our 1st trip to Montreal. Although I consider myself a well worn vet of traveling in God's Country and Ontario in particular, this is our 1st trip to Quebec. Although it's been years since I had French class, we really want to try to respect the local customs and cultures, including trying to speak the language. Any do's and don'ts (as well as handy reference language translation guides) and/or war stories would be greatly appreciated, or should I say tres bien!

Thanks to all who respond.

I live on the South Shore of Montreal. You'll have no problems getting around in your own language here. I am PMing you my phone number... should you have any specific questions you can either PM me or call. You know, I'm also a believer of "when in Rome..." however, I feel strongly about the hosts (in this case Montreal) doing their best to make you feel at home. Hope you have a great anniversary trip, Don't be shy to PM or call.

No right turns on a red light if you are driving.

Not strictly true these days: "The right turn on red is permitted throughout Québec, except on Île de Montréal and at intersections where road signs prohibit such turns." From: http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/portal/grand_public_en/vehicules_promenade/reseau_routier/signalisation/virage_droite_feu_rouge

So if they're off the island, it's okay.

Edited by Dave Bailey

Old Montreal is nice...

Also like others said.... Smoked meat is awesome....

I've never had a problem speaking English... Just be polite and patient.... I've never been treated bad because I don't speak French.... Most businesses are happy to get your money... Doesn't matter if your speaking French... English... Spanish... Japanese.... Your business/money does the talking....

And there's some good fishing to be had in that area...

you should sneak out to a strip club when the wife falls asleep

Or she can sneak out to a club while you're asleep.

As far as speaking French in Montréal, it isn't an issue. They would appreciate you speaking good English rather than poor French. Now if you get over to Quebec City or into rural Québec now that can, sometimes,become an issue.

As far as the issue of rude Quebecois tourists, yes they are out there if your definition of rude makes certain behavior rude in your opinion. Then so are many Americans, and Germans and Italians and Croats, and, and, and. It seems if someone is louder then others when partying it is considered to be rude to a white Anglo protestant conservative Canadian.

Rude is so objective it is silly to call someone rude if you don't know them. However I have witnessed some ridiculous behavior and questioned it. I was told it's an old game some play, who can be the rudest. Fun to some is ridiculous to others. The bartender said they can be rude all they want as long as the good tips keep rolling in.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

One of the many highlites or our recent vacation was when we spent a night in Riviere du Loup. I was a little apprehensive because my French is quite limited but decided to give it my best shot anyway.

We had a blast, most of the staff spoke some English (about the same as my French) but because I was trying they tried. We didn't have any trouble communicating at all, enjoyed one of the best meals and service I have ever had anywhere and had a ton of laughs!

I couldn't always think of the specific word I needed but was able to work around it, they taught me some French, I taught them some English, I'd go back there in a heart beat.

On the down side I really wish they would post road signs and such in English as well as French, it sure would make traveling a lot easier!

Montreal is a way better party town than Toronto that's for sure !!!! I used to go down there every year for the formula 1 race for 3 or 4 days and what a blast !!!! The bars rock down there for sure !!!! And the fishing right downtown is great we arched guys catch big fish right on the island where the race was and all along the rapids !!!! Big sturgeon huge smallies and walleyes all over the place !!!! Go fishing instead of touring and I can't speak any French nor do I want to and I never had any issues at all !!! Especially downtown maybe in old Montreal but money talks and they know you want a beer anyways so it's pretty easy to figure out !!!! Nord sud est oest is easy !!! And all the rocking bars are in one district like Roy said no issues on the south shore either ! Unless you wear a leafs jersey !! Hahahah lol

Schwartz's is definitely one of the best, but a bit out of the way if you're in the downtown or old Montreal area. Hit Rueben's on Ste. Catherine Street or Dunn's on Metcalfe (right off Catherine) if you're downtown. Either one has smoked meat just as good.

definitely stop at Schwartz!

3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard · Montréal, Québec · H2W 1X9 ·

Smoked meat is amazing. Expect to line up and its not a fancy place. Worth the wait! I usually bring a cooler with me to montreal and take some smoked meat home with me. Another thing, buy beer! Its cheaper in Que. so worth it to bring back. I've heard ( don't know if my buddy was messing with me) that you can buy 80 cans of beer at Costco for $55. :clapping: . Regardless enjoy your trip. Its beautiful there and you won't have an issue with speaking English with everyone.

Nick

Like with everyone else has mentioned, if you're in the tourist areas of Montreal, English will be perfectly fine. The locals are appreciative if you throw in a "Bonjour/Salut/Merci".

Been living in Montreal for about a year and hands down, if you enjoy eating, you will not find a better place to be in. Schwartz is the standard, but if the line up is long, Main's is located across the street and is just as good. Personally, I find Schwartz a bit dry...great flavour, but dry. Main's has a good moist smoked meat. Also, right beside Schwartz is a Portuguese rotisserie called Coco Rico. The last time I ate there, I got a quarter chicken, quarter rack of ribs, sides, and a drink for around $12! Not only was the price great, but it tasted so good! Also, depending on how you are arriving, if you are passing through Ile-Perrot, Smoke Meat Pete's is stellar and they have a blues band playing every evening.

Poutine is another awesome treat in Montreal. La Banquise, located in the Mont-Royal area, is open 24 hours and is simply amazing.

Since it is your 25th with the significant other, you will really enjoy the dinners at any of these restos: Garde Manger (heard lots of good things about their lobster poutine), Joe Beef (really creative chefs who are passionate with their food...we ordered all apps and were very satisfied), Au Pied de Cochon (need to reserve, at least, one week in advance), and Nelson Jardin (get a patio spot if possible and order up a great French onion soup) just to name a few.

I've taken a few groups of friends for a weekend jaunt and it's definitely not enough time to do everything. I'm sure you will have an amazing time.

PS: If your accommodations are within the MTL area, consider taking the Metro. It's quite convenient and it will get you to 95% of the places in Montreal.

Great idea to prep but speaking French is low priority, reading it is what you need to know. You will not find any provincial English signage, only federal signs are in both languages and they are few and far between.

As fishindevil pointed out;

Nord=North

Sud=South

Est=East

Ouest=West

Perhaps put a sticky note on your dash for quick reference.

Construction is always a big issue in Montreal. The good news is if you're re-routed, routes are usual well marked

Drivers are a little aggressive downtown but unlike Toronto, they know what they're doing. They cut you off without damage lol

Montreal works on a different time zone for social gatherings. Restaurants are busiest around 8-9pm and clubs don't start getting busy until 10-11pm

Scope out the core of the city for parking via google and plan to walk to your attractions. It will be faster and far more enjoyable.

You may want to look into an Old Montreal carriage ride to set the mood for the evening

Yes, beer is cheaper but advertised prices don't include tax

AM800 on the radio for news/traffic/talk radio in English

FYI

When you go to a deli and order a smoked meat sammy, if you get fries with it, the server will ask you if you want chop? If you say yes they will put more chopped meat on top of your fries! Don't do it. There is way more than enough in the sammy. I found it almost sickening, if that's possible!