What do you look for when shopping for lures?

dhickey

I tend to go for independent lure manufactures that have different shapes and colour combinations.

I have found that most of the lures that I buy from the big stores don't work as well as lures from the smaller independent tackle shops.

Any thoughts on this?

Don.

Brand names that have stood the test of time for me. Too often have I bought a crankbait from an unknown manufacturer that looks great in the package but runs like crap out of the box.

Yep and I have as well.(spent thousands of $)

But I can say that my go to lures were not bought from a large store but from local tackle shops.

Brand names are Ok but what I am getting at is the (killers/ good lures)

I think you know what I am getting at here.

I have no idea what you're getting at. Small shops tend to carry the exact same baits (with a few exceptions of course) and brands as the big guys except for the bargain bin junk that every small shop seems to have.

Rapalas, mepps, and Williams have stood the test of time for a reason.

On that note, I wish panther Martins were more readily available in shops.

i had a problem of having to test the newest baits and tackle, i've got hundreds of baits i've only used once or twice :$

i am now set on a few specific baits, i buy them locally or i order online. it's crazy but i have 4-8 backups for my go to baits. nothing is worse than not having your go to colour!

Edited by musky_hunter

Most of my musky baits are basic off the shelf stuff, but I often tweek them to suit various needs. Some I'll add weights to, others I remove rattles, on some 3 treble twitch baits I'll remove the center hook and upsize the front hook and often if a color doesn't produce, I'll repaint it.

I look for whatever I'm looking for.

It's gotten to be more like grocery shopping for me. "Im out of red spinnerbaits with silver blades, better make a trip to the store" .. i rarely try new lures on the market anymore but somehow im still buying new stuff once a week.

I really don't like specialty baits. When I was hard core tournament guy I stuck with baits that were easily bought at any CTC or local tackle store.

I like baits and colors that work in multiple lakes and can be rig different ways.

I've resisted most of these high end jerkbaits with short run color patterns. "MOST" not all

I perfer the tired and tested baits that you can find anywhere but if I see something that looks intresting I will give it a try.

I would say every so often, an independant comes out with a new concept that works great.

Not really intrested in the specialty top priced baits. $15 for a life like bait, I want to fish to bite it not mate with it.

What matters to me is the realism of the boait for hardbaits and scent for plastics.

If a harbait looks realistic, it will grab my attention. If it is from a reputable comapny, I am almost always sold.

For plastics and their scent... GARLIC. anything else just doesn't produce the same.

Word of mouth for me,more accurately,guys I fish with on a regular basis.When I see something producing really good for a couple outings or so,I'll tend to pick one up.Like most fisherman,I have too many trays of lures not seeing water very often or nill.I generally start with a half dozen favorites,and again depends what were fishing for.