ATV Decisions Yamaha Grizzly 550 or Can Am Outlander 650

RickOnt

Hi Fellas

When I started this search I was convinced I wanted a Grizzly 550 EFI EPS.

That what enquired about at dealers and searched online.

I still have not seen one on a dealers floor.

Today I went into St Onge in Barrie and priced out the Grizzly Base price plus winch plus plow plus upgraded tires.

Any dealers that have given me a quote are all very close.

The salesman says are you stuck on Yamaha, Well I am but what do you suggest,

A Outlander 650 comes with Warn 300 lb winch upgraded tires and rims and front and rear push bars at about the same price as the Grizzly.

So I get to "Thinking" which leads to this post.

Also another reason I am researching BRP

3 years ago when I bought my boat I was originally looking for a Merc Opti, From there I went to a Yammi four stroke and finally bought a BRP E-Tech

Which has been perfect and everything BRP advertises.

5 years ago I would not of considered Can Am Today I am not sure.

Still Searching

In decision Mode

Rick

As much as I am a Yamaha fan, that would be a really tough call.

Ten years ago, the Grizz was the 'be all and end all' of ATV's. It would be a safe bet with no regrets but I keep hearing so much about the Outlander. BRP usually has great warranty incentives as well, that might be a consideration.

Chris

Most, about 75% of my use is in the Winter, Plowing Snow and Ice fishing.

The Outlander is about 70Lbs heavier than the grizzly

ok, I don't have any experience with ATV plowing, so the other guys would be a better resource

my ATV is for getting me into the bush, I still like Yamaha as a brand, I have 3 outboards, 2 sleds, a scooter and a guitar (Hahaha), all Yami

We ride out in the bush 3 to 5 times a week and usually put on 100k+ each time.I have a suzuki,2 have outlanders,3 have polaris,2 have hondas and there are 2 yamahas and 1 artic cat.We all regularly maintain them and in 2 years no one has had a problem.One of the yamahas is a 750 and so is one of the polaris and the both have so much power as to be scary.I dont think as far as quality goes that there is much difference not like it was years ago.We have all TEST rode each others bikes and other than a couple of small things there not much difference overall.2 of them are 2up and they do have more difficulty in the tight spots.

vance

I always thought Can am was the best. Now u professionals are talking Yami. I'm confoozed. Please explain why Yami is better. I presently own a 2012 Polaris 500 HO which is used primarily for ice fishing. I'm a gentle older rider, got 38 hours on it . No issues

I am a yammi honda or kawi guy. I own a Yamaha and a Kawasaki, both are good machines. My machine is basically a bush buggy. I subscribe to the 400cc and under train of thought, as they are just easier to move around in the bush, while still being workhorses! I don't really trail ride though, unless I am going to a fishing or hunting spot. If it where my cash, I'd go straight to the yamaha dealer!

Truth is Rick, you couldn't really go wrong with either. Both quality machines.

Have ridden a number of Grizzly's over the years because Yamaha is what the local dealer in Moosonee sold. That said, Northern Stores was the competetion and they sold Bombardier/Skidoo/products and so I got a taste for an Outlander. Friend of mine who's had both brands plus a Cat and Honda in the past couldn't really say one way or another what is a hands-down winner as they all have little pros and cons. If choosing a two-up your decision would be easier because IMO Bomby's are the best and most comfortable out there, but you're not... so you have two equal choices on your hands.

people who gentle ride their atvs to the hut or hunting will love whatever machine they buy

but if you are going to work it, bang it around and treat it like you just rented it for a day then yamaha stands out followed by Kawasaki and honda

I got this info from riding with large groups of atv'ers and listening to people complaining and which ones we were towed back....can am did not stand up

Thanks Terry

Most of the issues I am being told or reading about are related to low battery voltage. Not shifting properly and electrical issues.

Or riding in extreme conditions in high range and burning up the belt.

The battery problems can be corrected by adding sometype of battery tender.

I know a friend with a Honda and he was having major problems in the winter but after adding the battery tender all is good.

Still Searching

Rick