My First Bass Tournament

ccmtcanada

I was vacationing up at my cousin's cottage up on Paudash Lake last week. A few days before I headed up there, he sends me a text asking if I wanted to be his partner in a Charity Bass Tournament. I figured if the entry fee didn't bankrupt me then why not? My cousin fishes in a local tournament circuit, so I thought it would be cool to experience it all. This past Sunday, we headed over to the registration table and took care of business there. A tournament official came by and checked to make sure there was a working livewell on the boat as this was a live release event.

My cousin getting things ready as we waited for the 7am blast off...

DennisandIbasstourneyboat_zpsab624f40.jp

At a few minutes to 7, everyone was jockeying for position...

DennisandIbasstourneystart_zpse4dfd689.j

I received this picture from the tournament organizers...shows us just starting to get up on plane at blast off. Pretty cool shot if you ask me! Taken from a bridge....we are the boat on the right.

DennisandIbasstourney1_zps296c20f0.jpg

As we sped to our first spot of the day, I took my iphone out...opened a GPS app and wanted to see how fast we were going. We topped out at 122 km/h....the fastest I've ever been in a boat! My face and cheeks began to vibrate so I hunkered down behind the windshield. I was also sitting on my hat as I usually do when going "fast", but I shifted my weight ever so slightly and I could feel the wind rip it right out from underneath me! It flew out of the boat in between us...we laughed all the way to the first spot!

The day was tough...caught a lot of 1 to 1.5 pounders, but the big fish eluded us. Biggest fish for us was about 3.5 pounds. A tournament official was blasting all over the lake snapping pictures (and making sure we were following rules I assume) and he captured this "action" shot.

DennisandIbasstourney4_zpsc244b882.jpg

It's amazing how fast the day goes. Concentrating on every single cast....switching up baits to see what produced and what didn't. No time to snap pictures as it was all business. I really did have a blast out there though!

At the end of the day, we weighed in at just under 12 pounds for our 5 fish. We weighed in 4th (out of I think 23 boats) and there were already 2 other teams ahead of us. We figured we'd end up middle of the pack. To our surprise, everyone else had a tough time out there as well...and we ended up in 5th place...the last money spot. The winnings gave us back our entry fee so that was a nice bonus!

DennisandIbasstourney2_zps256f9196.jpg

Mike...because it was a charity tourney with just a $100 entry fee, there wasn't a lot of "pressure". I found it to be challenging to have to be concentrating 100% of the time, but it wasn't a "chore". It was sort of a "let's do our best and see how we stack up" sort of excitement feeling if that makes sense.