Rod and Reel for little kids?

So I wanna get my son his own rod because he's loving fishing....

I'm leaning heavily towards an ugly stick... For durability.... And small... Like the 5' 6" med....

But I was wondering what the parents experiences have been with little kids and rod/reel set ups...

Spinning...?

Spincast...?

He has reeled in a bass already on my spinning outfit.... But I know the push button is easier to cast.... But I'm thinking the weight of the spincast reel on top would tend to roll the rod over....

He's only 2 years old...

Thanks

Mike

For my son's first reel, I purchased him a closed face spinning real that was designed to fit underneath the rod like an open face reel. It had a trigger instead of a push button.

He can still use the same rod when he is ready to move up to an open face reel. I never even bothered buying him his own rod, I just let him use one of my spinning rods. But an ugly stick would be a good choice do price and durability.

There are some examples of the reels I am referring too in this link.

http://www.shopping.com/trigger%20spin%20reels/products?sb=1&linkin_id=8075571&ef_id=aaVPK1ukihoAAMzn:20130729034230:s

Edited by JohnBacon

Yup that exactly what I did with both of my kids. I also made them a rod each that used a fly reel seat. That way the grip was small enough for them to hold easily.

Muddler

Edited by muddler

I know my Grandkids love it when I gave them a ice fishing rod & reel Mike they thought it was great. At 2 years old, it would fit in there small hands and be a little easier for them. They had a ball when I took them out on the grass with a practice plug and a pail. A spin cast is easy for them but you would be surprised at how they can pick up on using a spinning reel.

My kids also started with ice fishing rods and spin casting reels. I set my grandson up with an ice fishing rod and under spin casting reel .They work great for young kids. If young ones can't handle their tackle, then they tire of fishing quickly.

Bah, go for the gold. Teach fly casting first and the rest will come easy ;)

Jk!

I'd go 20 dollar cheapo, if the kid doesnt like it you didnt waste much, and if he does, he will want to buy a better one in about 3 years !

my boys started with Ice fishing rods with a spinning reel. I bought them an ultra light rod ( 5') and a decent ultra lite reel for this year. They love it. Its nicely weighted and they don't get tired from holding it. ( my boys are 5 and 3).

nick

I just started my little grandkids off with a long tomatoe stake for a pole, a length of line the same as the pole, a float ,hook and sinker...(keep it simple)

Cripes, I didn't get my first rod and reel until I was twelve and my granddad only ever used a bamboo pole (never owned a rod and reel and yet still landed the odd lunge)...

Two weeks ago I bought my grandsons a Rapala Combo for $9.99 at CT ($29.99) they are 2 and 4, I would cast out a bit and they would try to reel. They liked it better when I brought something (blue gill) in a they could just look. They will get another chance. :)

2 of my granddaughters have already started fishing. One is 4 years old and the other one who is 9 has been fishing since she was 2. They both wanted Barbie rods so that is what I bought them even though you can get something cheaper and better. I do the casting.

A couple of weeks ago, the 4 year old went fishing for the first time. She caught 8 brook trout. One of the brookies was 14 inches long. Her little pink Barbie doll rod got a good workout.

For kids under the age of 6 or those who are going out fishing for the first times, I recommend a spincast reel.

If you can get away from the Dora and Barbie rods, I recommend an ice fishing rod about 3 to 4 feet long and a nice Zebco spincast reel

Edited by Dabluz

Guys a good friend of mine I fish alot with,has a baitcaster,spinning reel and still prefers a spin cast set up .I know it's pretty well fool proof.but, there is so much better,lol.On a usual weekend he outfishes all of us .lol.What can you say to that ?Mike ,I still think that would be your best bet.Have fun!

I started my son off with one of the Shakespeare kicker mouse combos. He loved it but soon gre out of it so I grabbed a cheap Zebco spincast combo that floated at ctc. It was one of the worste combos (the rod anyway) I had ever used so I went and bought him a fenwick baitcaster rod and kept the spincast reel which he is still using today.

Taught all my girls to use a spinning reel from the very beginning. They all got the hang of it quickly. Age 2 and 3 they had no problems casting a spinning reel. They use ice fishing rods. Hold the line in one hand and click the bail open throw it an let go of the line at the same time. they did that for a year and now they cast with one hand.

Edited by jedimaster

My boys too,grant you they were probably 8-10 years old when they wanted to give it a try.Didn't come without there difficulties lol.Like you they caught on pretty good.Were able to correct most issues they had.

Edited by davey buoy

Taught all my girls to use a spinning reel from the very beginning. They all got the hang of it quickly. Age 2 and 3 they had no problems casting a spinning reel. They use ice fishing rods. Hold the line in one hand and click the bail open throw it an let go of the line at the same time. they did that for a year and now they cast with one hand.

X2 but mine were byes.Pretty close to the same age Jedi.

Had my son start with an Ugly stick as well, they really beat up the tips of rods when they are learning to cast!

I'm pretty sure Canadian tire stil has a nice Quantum combo for $23.99 (70% off what it normally is I think!) Cant beat that price!