Family Fun In N/W Quebec

solopaddler

We have a water access camp in N/W Quebec. A much neglected place these last couple of years as the bulk of our vacation time has been spent elsewhere.

It's a bit of a haul from southern Ontario, 7 hours on a good day, so it's never easy to make it up there even at the best of times.

Still, my dad who's now mostly retired has been dragging my mother up there regularly and they love it, so it's been getting a lot of use. Best part is the old man likes to putter and he's constantly working on stuff up there (doing my chores LOL!).

That said it was definitely time to bring the family back up, including the dog this time.

She was a sight for sore eyes let me tell you!

CottageJuly2013033.jpg

CottageJuly2013036.jpg

After fishing this lake for 12 years now I've learned a few seasonal patterns and spots. Traditionally the first couple weeks of July have always proven to be excellent, so hopes were high as we set out on our first full day.

Later in the summer, usually August on my lake, bottom bouncers and worm harnesses really shine. The fishes metabolism is at its peak then and they'll smash a fast moving harness. It's an incredibly productive and efficient way of covering water.

This early in the summer the fish require just a bit more finesse. Crawling slowly along mid lake structure with the electric pulling a simple live bait rig with a long lead and a single nose hooked worm is LETHAL. I call it "force feeding" the fish HAHA!

My 6 year old son Brendan was practically foaming at the mouth to get out on the lake. My 9 year old girl Riley not "quite" as much although she still loves it. For anyone else with a young daughter can you please explain to me the attraction of "One Direction"? LOL!

Anyhow the young lad put on quite a show with some help from dad.

CottageJuly2013001.jpg

CottageJuly2013004.jpg

CottageJuly2013030.jpg

CottageJuly2013028.jpg

This was his largest walleye and he was actually scared to hold it, needing help from mom. In fact he had his bb gun in the boat and he wanted me to shoot the fish when he got it close. Swamp People is his favorite show and he was yelling at me "shoot it!, shoot it!" when he reeled it up to the boat LOL!

CottageJuly2013011.jpg

What would a trip to the cottage be without a big batch of crispy beer battered fish? Mmmmm.........good!

CottageJuly2013008.jpg

CottageJuly2013009.jpg

We've got a nice beach on the lake about 6km's away. With the weather so hot and sunny we spent a ton of time up there, loading the boat with drinks, snacks, chairs and sunscreen. Everyone including the dog loved it, and the best part was the breeze kept most of the bugs away. It was glorious.

CottageJuly2013016.jpg

CottageJuly2013015.jpg

CottageJuly2013014.jpg

CottageJuly2013013.jpg

CottageJuly2013012.jpg

We burned a lot of gas tubing as well. I bought a larger tube this year and it's great. This one you actually feel safe on, unlike our previous tube which induced me to pray before climbing aboard.

CottageJuly2013025.jpg

CottageJuly2013023.jpg

The dog would whine and cry anytime one of us climbed onto the tube. I figured she felt left out and attempted to coax her on with me, but she would have none of it. I did manage to get her on it once.....I figured we'd go nice and slow, but she immediately jumped off and swam half a km straight back to the cottage.

CottageJuly2013005.jpg

That's more or less the gist of the entire trip, so not a super extensive report.

All in all it was great time spent with the family and we're definitely hoping to get up for a more extended trip sometime next month!

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Mike Borger

Thanks guys it was a fun trip for sure!

Good times! That beach looks glorious! We have a similar boat access beach, but its still under water this year! Your son has the bug bad! Lol

S.

Yep, water is still high up at our place too, that beach is actually much larger normally. Brendan is fanatical for sure. I'm bringing him on a fly in leaving tomorrow. First time ever just him and me and he's bouncing off the walls right now LOL!

About time you got back up there. Has the shed rolled down the hill yet?

The shed is solid thanks to you bud. We need to try and sneak away again for another short trip when you have the time!

Jr sure is getting big. :D

And talk about a son looks like father.

From the pics of your father,you and Brendan. You guys looks so much alike.

Sure glad Zoey has taken on her own looks.LOL She sure has grown to be a beautiful family member Mike.. :good:

Thanks for sharing

Jr sure is getting big. :D

No doubt. He's grown quite a bit since the last time you saw him.

And talk about a son looks like father.

From the pics of your father,you and Brendan. You guys looks so much alike.

Sure glad Zoey has taken on her own looks.LOL She sure has grown to be a beautiful family member Mike.. :good:

Thanks for sharing

Zoey's a great dog! She whined the entire drive up in the truck though, I was losing my mind LOL!

Thankfully she didn't make a peep on the drive home. I figure she was clued in to what was going on.