Leave only foot steps

misfish

Ever have one of those days where you just wanted to walk and couldnt wait to see what waits around the next bend? And seeing what was even further then that next bend?

Today I got caught up in one of those moments. I have been fishing a nice piece of new waters this year,and always wanted to see what was furthur up the river.I arrived at 6:30am. There was a light drizzel,but it was refreshing.I start fishing at my normal spots. While I was fishing my normal first few pools,I caught a sight of a rainbow jumping in a pool above. Was it a sign? I believe it was. I reached the pool and started throw my fly. I thought for sure it was going to take it,but after about 15 minutes,I only managed to land a few small ones.

To my surprise,I could see another great spot up river. I made my way up. This spot looked as good as the ones I have fished. Im hopeing it is holding a brown. Throwing into the fast waters,letting the dry fly drift into the deep pool. Again,I only manage a few small rainbows.

For the next 3 or so miles,there were great fishing spots Fast running waters,draining into deep pools. Some with timber,some with over hanging trees.The perfect spots.

. There was not a foot step to be seen on my walk. Only raccoon and deer tracks. I knew I was fishing untamed waters. The more I walked,the more great spots I seen,and the excitement of not seeing any foot steps,had me walk further and further.It was like I was in a trance.

Time went by fast, Managing only small fish,but fish non the less. When it was time to head back,I had realized,I had walk a long way,and it was so cool. I sat and reflected on my walk,what I had come upon,how fortunate I was to be able to walk,fish and find to spots. It was so refreshing and satisfying.

I leave you with,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

LEAVE ONLY FOOT STEPS

. 002_zps7ef29764.jpg

003_zps84bf3e75.jpg

004_zps908fb41a.jpg

006_zpsebe6ca0b.jpg

007_zps67b8a611.jpg

008_zps611dc48a.jpg

009_zpsda171f11.jpg

010_zps6df7383d.jpg

013_zps14a416f3.jpg

012_zpseb945cfa.jpg

016_zpsf8750a06.jpg

Nice. Done that many a time walking rivers. That spot 50 yards up just has to hold fish. 3 hours later and you get to view the river from the other angle as you hike back. Something very gratifying to be the only one next to the water

Beautiful report Brian. Reminds of some of my adventures when I was a bike riding kid. My last "I wonder what's around the next corner" adventure didn't go quite as well as yours. Just a few short years ago, I found myself with a beautiful fall day off and decided to grab the 20 guage and go for a walk for Grouse. My "go to" trail involves a kilometer walk up a mountain, then flattens out, but has many up and downhill sections on the way. I was one bird short of my limit, and was sure to get that last one on the walk out, but like you, I was tempted to see what was around the next corner. Over and over again I did this. There was a stocked Brook Trout lake some 5 kilometers down the trail and I was determined to have a look at it. I'd never been that far down this trail before in my life. Well, the old legs started to ache, and my gps told me that I had walked 4 km's in so far. So my wisdom told me to turn around and head back to my truck., which I did. My limit was easily achieved, so it was just sight seeing and photography on the walk out. Now anyone that has walked up a mountain knows that it's all cardio on the walk up and all leg muscle on the walk down. Your leg muscles hold you back from falling down the decline. When I reached the decline, my legs were aching like never before in my life, yet I still had to get back down the mountain. I swear that if my truck was parked 10 feet further away from where it was, I wouldn't have made it. I pulled myself into the truck and was so relieved to sit. When I got home I could barely stand up after exiting my truck. Lesson learned that day? Well none probably. I'd most likely do it all again next time the opportunity arises.

Great report!! I have recently decided to take up fly fishing again after about a 15 year hiatus. Picked up a cheap Hobbs Creek combo 5 weight at BPS ( same crappy service as my only other trip there). Hoping to find some beauties like those fish.

Ian

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Nice baby steelheads! Keep an eye on those water temps, anything near 70 degrees and you don't want to be fishing residents.

The water is still very cool. 65. Was very refreshing to walk in up to my waist and cool off.

Beautiful report Brian. Reminds of some of my adventures when I was a bike riding kid. My last "I wonder what's around the next corner" adventure didn't go quite as well as yours. Just a few short years ago, I found myself with a beautiful fall day off and decided to grab the 20 guage and go for a walk for Grouse. My "go to" trail involves a kilometer walk up a mountain, then flattens out, but has many up and downhill sections on the way. I was one bird short of my limit, and was sure to get that last one on the walk out, but like you, I was tempted to see what was around the next corner. Over and over again I did this. There was a stocked Brook Trout lake some 5 kilometers down the trail and I was determined to have a look at it. I'd never been that far down this trail before in my life. Well, the old legs started to ache, and my gps told me that I had walked 4 km's in so far. So my wisdom told me to turn around and head back to my truck., which I did. My limit was easily achieved, so it was just sight seeing and photography on the walk out. Now anyone that has walked up a mountain knows that it's all cardio on the walk up and all leg muscle on the walk down. Your leg muscles hold you back from falling down the decline. When I reached the decline, my legs were aching like never before in my life, yet I still had to get back down the mountain. I swear that if my truck was parked 10 feet further away from where it was, I wouldn't have made it. I pulled myself into the truck and was so relieved to sit. When I got home I could barely stand up after exiting my truck. Lesson learned that day? Well none probably. I'd most likely do it all again next time the opportunity arises.

The story of my life now-a-days Dan only, my walks are more like 1/4 of a mile... :wallbash:

Nice report Brian... :clapping:

Edited by Beans

Thanks for sharing that Dan.

Dan thats an awesome trip/adventure. One thing I find,as are getting older day by day, :rolleyes: ,I can walk for ever always could.. Climbing, bush walking what ever. It,s when I get home and sit and try to get up,,then it sets in :stretcher::w00t::rofl2:

I have been trying to be Terrys personal trainer,but he seems to always have something come up. This time was,I got a new boat,who needs to walk.. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

You've inspired me to walk the creek downstream of the ponds in my backyard.

Bass and pike in the ponds, but I saw a nice bow take a fly at the dam the other day and that's a long creek. Now I gotta try it!