outboard motor question

bigugli

i might be buying a sixteen foot boat with a pull start twenty five h.p. evinrude but im not sure how i would hook up a fishfinder\gps? is there a way to hook a battery to the motor to charge it or would i be stuck charging another battery to power my electronics?

Have to charge the battery separate from the motor. Not really a big deal. Solar is always a possibility with what is now available. Draw is so minimal from what you listed, that you could probably go 5 days use with a regular battery before you had to think about any charging. High output battery would give you 7 full days, I'd bet. The solar panel would eliminate any doubt.

Small outboards charge very little anyhow.. Like 4A at full rpm.. You could run a deep cycle battery and solar or trickle charge it.. I run a "trailer breakaway battery" for my portable fish finder I got at princess auto for like $30.

Another option is to install the charging system onto the motor.. If its a Johnson or evinrude I know they sell a kit to make the magneto charge for like $150, but like I said, you only get 4Amps.

i might be buying a sixteen foot boat with a pull start twenty five h.p. evinrude but im not sure how i would hook up a fishfinder\gps? is there a way to hook a battery to the motor to charge it or would i be stuck charging another battery to power my electronics?

Do yourself a favour and get a motor with electric start..

I don't see any need for electric start on a 25hp engine. I have a manual start 40hp, and my 11 year old son can start it up no problem. It helps if you maintain it, and have it running good.

I'd just get a small 7Ah gell battery to run the graph. It will run a graph all day no problem. You'll need a battery charger, but its a lot better than hauling around a 75lb deep cycle.

S.

I don't see any need for electric start on a 25hp engine. I have a manual start 40hp, and my 11 year old son can start it up no problem. It helps if you maintain it, and have it running good.

I'd just get a small 7Ah gell battery to run the graph. It will run a graph all day no problem. You'll need a battery charger, but its a lot better than hauling around a 75lb deep cycle.

S.

x3 lol.

Edited by davey buoy

Get yourself a lawnmower battery from walmart. I run my garmin echo500 which is a colour screen and my bilge pump all weekend. It weighs about 20-25 pounds, charge it ASAP after every use and your good to go.

If it lasts you 2-3 seasons.. It did the job for $50