Cracking The Code On The Attawapiskat ~ Fishing Hearst Air's Brand New Outpost Camp

solopaddler

The Terminator Titanium leader material is exceptional. I started using it years ago and haven't looked back.It has many attributes that make it ideal for pike fishing. For one, it resists kinking unlike traditional stainless steel leaders. Second, it has quite the stretch to it similar to mono. It is bite-proof and ties easily. Another huge plus for me, is the fact that I can tie direct to braid (or mono/fluoro if you choose) with an albright knot.This is very useful when using light lures like a Husky Jerk. The leader material is so light and thin, that is is like not even using a leader, especially 20lb that I use so much. With no additional weight from a swivel, it doesn't add that bit of extra weight to place the nose down on a light lure like Husky Jerk. I put a light snap on the business end with a clinch knot to change up lures easily. I use a pair of pliers to pull on the tag end to get a good tight knot.

For larger lures like spoons, in-line buckails etc, I use 30lb titanium and add a small black swivel rather than tie an albright direct to the braid. This helps with line twist.

It has been a very effective tactic for me. I like making my leaders approximately 18" to 24" as it adds a bit more stretch for violent head shakes when using braid, and the extra length allows to re-tie the snap on after a while. The titanium will wear over extended use and must be re-tied a few inches up so that no breakage occurs. I made the mistake of trying to get away with the same leader all week and it cost me the biggest fish of the trip on Thursday and a lost lure. I normally get a week of fishing before having to re-tie the snap, but the Attawapiskat had too many big violent pike! lol

Thanks for taking the time providing another multimedia fishing extravaganza!

Has the feel of an old time fishing article/show being so well written.

Great stuff! :Gonefishing:

Oddly one of my favourite reports by you was the one where you took the family blueberry picking up on hill in QC.

Again, very well done!

Great report as usual. I was there in 2006 when the camp was called Kissing Otter. They didn't have the second cabin in though. Great fishing then and I can see it hasn't changed. Loved sitting up on the deck after a day of fishing and taking in the view. Glad to hear Hearst Air is going there and I may just go back, but Pym Island is still my favourite of all of Hearst Air's camps. Particularly if Harry's the guide.

What a trip to the Attawapiskat River! It was great fishing with Mike and Aaron. What an experience for Kevin and me....even with the snow. I would highly recommend Heart Air's Fly-In Outpost....great people and service....the camp was excellent. Never used freighter canoes....they were stable and tons of room...I liked them better than the normal 14' aluminum boats you usually get. Lots of walleye and pike....that's for sure.

036.jpg

035.jpg

035-1.jpg

031.jpg

029-1.jpg

026.jpg

013.jpg

Thank's guys, the response to this one has been overwhelming. Not surprising though, it was a true trip of a lifetime. I've been away on another fly in the last week or so, just got back. Once again an amazing trip. Should have something posted later this week.

Well, I've been out fishing too. Maybe I should do a detailed report! :lol:

attachicon.gif030.JPG

For sure Harold!

Mike,

I heard the water was even higher this year? to the tune of 10'?? I know when I went last year it was around 7' above.... great trip it looks tho. Some nice fish :)

Yes it was SUPER high! We had to adapt to the conditions and travelled a LOT to find the fish. I believe under normal water conditions the fishing would be even better.

good call on bringing the extra gas and extra outboard on the long trip down river, pretty ballsy day trip due to the remoteness

No kidding!! What I didn't mention was we also had a sat phone with us for safety so it wasn't all that ballsy.

Thanks for taking the time providing another multimedia fishing extravaganza!

Has the feel of an old time fishing article/show being so well written.

Great stuff! :Gonefishing:

Oddly one of my favourite reports by you was the one where you took the family blueberry picking up on hill in QC.

Again, very well done!

Thanks bud. And that trip to Mont Cheminis is one of my favourites too. We're tentatively heading back there again in August.

Great report as usual. I was there in 2006 when the camp was called Kissing Otter. They didn't have the second cabin in though. Great fishing then and I can see it hasn't changed. Loved sitting up on the deck after a day of fishing and taking in the view. Glad to hear Hearst Air is going there and I may just go back, but Pym Island is still my favourite of all of Hearst Air's camps. Particularly if Harry's the guide.

Amazing that you've been to that camp!! The Kissing Otter plaque is still tacked up on the front of the main cabin. How'd you make out when you were there?

It's always great reading your trip reports Mike. This one looks like another epic Fishing adventure. How would this compare, adventure wise, to some of the other big river walleye and Pike you have done in the past?

Adventure wise? Nothing compares. We did a 90km round trip twice, it was truly incredible country.

Looks like you guys did rather well, thanks for putting up this report for all of us to see.....really much appreciated!!

Thanks! How did you guys make out on Nipigon when you went?