I too got me brookie streams 20 mins away from my front door!

mirogak

Like Brad suggested in a recent post, I had been doing a lot of research to find brookie streams not too far from where I live (Toronto) for early morning or evening side trips, and it paid off. After my cottage/fishing trip for season opener got cancelled and Algonquin was out of the question due to ice out/flooding situation, I thought I'd put my research to the test.

The first access point I tried looked like this :wallbash: Ok they're only in there for the steelheads but I want them brookies, so I am gonna go further north to the more cooler, cleaner and "solo'er" headwaters.

photo3-1.jpg

And then I found them ...

image.jpeg

And I made a new friend up there, whom I plan to visit again...

image2.jpeg

I must have caught over 20 of these little brookies, they were small but I was totally fine with that. Knowing that they live 20 mins away from where I live, I was perfectly happy. Throughout the 5 hours I was there, I ran into one person, a freindly angler who showed me pics of what he had caught in this stream. A beautiful 3 pounder brown!!!! just downstream of where I was catching brookies.

My question is this - how come the resident brookies don't get as big as the browns in the same waters. What do you guys think?

L8R

Miro

Good job :) You can even run siwash hooks instead of the trebles.. That's usually what I do on all my small stream trout spinners. Just makes it easier on the fish. Those little guys can be quite ferocious!

Nice fish bud!

And don't completely give up on those steelhead holes if you really want to fish them. Just fish them at different hours. Most guys show up around the same time (sunrise). But if you show up late afternoon and fish till sunset it can be just as good, with far fewer people.

Good job :) You can even run siwash hooks instead of the trebles.. That's usually what I do on all my small stream trout spinners. Just makes it easier on the fish. Those little guys can be quite ferocious!

I agree, but rather than Siwash style hooks I use little weedless singles. The tiny wire guard on the hook keeps from hanging up on sumberged branches, and doesn't seem to affect the hooking effectiveness one bit.

What that first picture doesn't show is a full parking lot that holds about 30 cars ... yikes!!! Passing over the bridge I saw 5 guys fishing the same hole ... don't wanna be there. I am going further up....

A pocket full of Panther Martins and hiking a stream for Brookies. Paradise!!!

Way to go Miro and congratulations on your success.

That's exactly what it was. They weren't interested in flies, dry or wet. They weren't even giving the spinner a chance to spin ..... Bam after bammm

My question is this - how come the resident brookies don't get as big as the browns in the same waters. What do you guys think?

L8R

Miro

I think that brown trout are simply a larger species of fish. The world record brown is over 40 lbs vs. 14.5 lbs for brook trout. Not really any different than small mouth bass being bigger than rock bass in the same lake.

I think that brown trout are simply a larger species of fish. The world record brown is over 40 lbs vs. 14.5 lbs for brook trout. Not really any different than small mouth bass being bigger than rock bass in the same lake.

And perhaps that browns maybe feeding on the Brookies.

Don't know how I missed this. Good job Miro. I think diet has a lot to do with size and I feel(this is just anecdotal) that browns are a bit more piscavorous than brookies and because they tolerate warmer temps better have a longer feeding window before they become inactive in the summer.

Don't know how I missed this. Good job Miro. I think diet has a lot to do with size and I feel(this is just anecdotal) that browns are a bit more piscavorous than brookies and because they tolerate warmer temps better have a longer feeding window before they become inactive in the summer.

Good point re the warmer temps.

Thats what I was thinking too, but also remember that brookies don't have as many options for spawning grounds too, you would think that more browns competing would result in smaller fish, but I guess it doesn't work that way...