Bowfin fishing??

Locnar

As I have never caught one, nor seen one in person... I'd like to try to hook into one this year. Is there anyone knowledgeable in Bowfin fishing? Any tips are appreciated. I have no idea where to look, when to look... I do believe they are a warm water species, and the only lake that I know holds them is big ol Lake O. Any others that might increase my chances? PMs are more than welcome if you don't want to the world to know any specifics or anything. Obligatory, "Not looking for honey holes"... just something to set me in the right direction.

Thanks

this is what i suggest.

once bass opens, go to bay of quinte.

get into the shallows, especially around muskote bay (part of big bay).

use exactly what you would use for bass, and you likely will catch some bowfin.

they fight way harder than bass, and are way meaner. the two biggest bowfin we caught came on a spinnerbait fished in between thick weeds and a pulse worm swam ontop of lilly pads. the second one hit three times in a row before I managed to hook it...

there are also some lakes in bruce county with even better numbers, but i'm less familiar with them.

they fight real strong and are likely more fun to catch than many of our "sport fish".

also, the grand river gets a nice bowfin spawn in about 3 weeks time. go into the shallows, very shallow (less than 3') and use dew worms. the males will have their spawning colours...bright neon green fins.

hope this helps.

bowfin are awesome fish!

Edited by Steve

Thanks guys, I will have to try to get out to the BoQ or the Grand this year. I've never fished either, so it'll be interesting. I heard somebody say that the Holland River gets them in the spring... anyone able to confirm that?

Also, the Grand River is quite large... would you suggest trying closer to mouth at Erie?

Edited by Locnar

Holland River would likely have em, they spawn in May. They'll hit a variety of stuff, full nightcrawlers are probably the simplest bait to use for them (and they rarely refuse nightcrawlers). Set the hook hard when they bite, they have pretty bony mouths. The gular plate that bowfin have (under the mouth, gills lead to it) is a good spot to get ahold of them, however I wouldn't suggest lifting them by it. Just use it to get ahold of the fish and then support the fish with your other hand. Grabbing them like pike using the gill plate would be another way to grab them, or a net would do the job as well lol. They are pretty tough to grab otherwise

I sight fish them in about a month's time on Simcoe up near Orillia. A chunk of worm on a jig head. Walk along the bank and they are right there in 2 feet of water. Drop the jig head right in front of there faces and they grab it every time. My son used to love going after Bowfins with me. Then we would spend the rest of the time catching bullheads under a float.

I have always wanted to catch one too. I've been bit off by them a few times tossing senkos on Long Point Bay, or broke off, not sure. But never have seen a real big one there. The grand sounds interesting, i wish I knew the specifics of that cuz I fish the grand all year and have only ever seen one, and it was through the ice in dunnville. Any more info on the grand?

They also like the dense vegetation I use a weedless frog that makes a racket when pulled thru the holes and open spots of topwater lilies. Use a stiff rod and stout line though because the first thing they do is take you down and thru the jungle of weeds. I fish this style for snakeheads down here in Virginia and it works like a champ.

Art

Georgian bay up my way has some good sized ones ..

There seemed to be a good number of them around Pointe Au Baril, we never intentionally fished for them but they were an incidental catch quite often when using live bait. Never caught one on a lure, never saw a small one, average size seemed to be between 4 - 6 pounds. I netted one for a buddy though that was pushing 20 pounds, a tank, and a good fight.

Lakes North of Kingston have em with the Ontario record coming from Dog Lake. I've caught a handful while bass fishing on a flippin jig. They are a really cool fish and once ya spot em they aren't too tough to convince to eat.

St. Lawrence also has a great population!

RJ

There's a small pond attached to the st.lawrence that gets a good run of them.... I used to fish bullhead there... One day I saw 10+ caught in a few hours on a hook and night crawler.....

Also... I've seen them in several creeks on the st.lawrence... Like others have said... Very aggressive... If you spot one I'd be very surprised if you ccouldnt catch it... I've caught em on weedless frogs... Texas rigged worms... Spinnerbaits... Jigs...

I've even seen em eating fish guts in the boathouse after cleaning fish...

The holland river and cooks bay are good spots to look especially in the spring. They love warm water and weeds and are usually shallow. Worms or other organic baits are the way to go. I used to catch them at night under a bridge near washago with tiger shrimp. They have a ton a of tiny razor sharp teeth and a heck of a grip so spreaders might be a good idea for unhooking.i live on the canal and usually catch a couple while fishing for bullhead in spring. Hope this helps good luck!

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/Bowfin/Bowfin.html

The bowfin is commonly known as cottonfish in some parts, due to the fact that when they are improperly cooked or eaten cold, the flesh is said to ball up in one's mouth like cotton. Food critics have given "Cajun caviar," a delicacy made from the eggs of bowfin, rave reviews. Reviews regarding the flesh of the bowfin range from "soft and pasty" to "passably palatable, while being one of the best of all smoked fishes".

The bowfin is commonly used as laboratory test animal because of its status as a "living fossil." It is easy to maintain and has interesting behavioral and physiological temperaments. Young bowfin may be kept in an aquarium, however they may feed on smaller fish.

i've never heard of smoked bowfin. who's going to be the OFC guinea pig? :canadian:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/Bowfin/Bowfin.html

The bowfin is commonly known as cottonfish in some parts, due to the fact that when they are improperly cooked or eaten cold, the flesh is said to ball up in one's mouth like cotton. Food critics have given "Cajun caviar," a delicacy made from the eggs of bowfin, rave reviews. Reviews regarding the flesh of the bowfin range from "soft and pasty" to "passably palatable, while being one of the best of all smoked fishes".

The bowfin is commonly used as laboratory test animal because of its status as a "living fossil." It is easy to maintain and has interesting behavioral and physiological temperaments. Young bowfin may be kept in an aquarium, however they may feed on smaller fish.

i've never heard of smoked bowfin. who's going to be the OFC guinea pig? :canadian:

If someone wants to help me catch one in relatively clean waters, then okay... I'll volunteer.

You'd have to eat it while the water's still pretty cold, i'd imagine. Anything that lives in shallow/warm water usually has mushy meat. Largemouth from deep water in the fall are wonderfully delicious. :)