Bowfin fishing??

Locnar

You'd have to eat it while the water's still pretty cold, i'd imagine. Anything that lives in shallow/warm water usually has mushy meat. Largemouth from deep water in the fall are wonderfully delicious. :)

I'm sure your right Rich. I have only had largies from shallow waters in the heat of summer. I have however had smallies in May from "up north" where there is no closed season and they where awesome.

Take them and cut them into boneless chunks soak in milk and lemon juice for 4 to 6 hours. Flour then egg dip them then fish fry mix and deep fry them. MMMMM MMMM good. You can make any fish taste bad if you cook it wrong lol.

Art

I have many pictures with those suckers, biggest ones were in the 7lb range for me. Here is one from last summer frogging off shore one evening. was in the Gananoque area, they love slop frogs the dam things. Always get me excited thinking I hooked into a giant largie but then I realize I have a giant dogfish on the line. North Kingston lakes, shallow water look for slop and pads...

b4e005db-c736-4f9b-be37-02280654c66b_zps

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Caught two bowfin In Caledonia from shore by the dam, about two pounds.

Also caught two bowfins in the Ausable river that goes through the Pinery near London.

Those ones were eight and nine pounds and fought like pikes.

All four were caught with dead minnows under a float.

I was targeting pike :D