Donating tackle to youth groups

Old Ironmaker

I just read a post where a new member was looking for an inexpensive baitcaster combo and was looking for some advice.

Angler Management and Danbob generously offered him a rod and reel, and he graciously accepted. I think that's fantastic.

Just yesterday my wife asked if I was ever going to use the dozens of rods and reels I have. And I know I have a pittance of tackle compared to some of that my fishing buddies have. One pal is a tradesman always waiting for the call from the hall to come in and it's tough. He has plastic totes full of everything ,and I mean everything. His basement has every wall covered in rods and reels. I suggested he get a table at the Hamilton swap meet and sell some of it this month and he actually was shocked, you would think I suggested he sell his youngest grand child.

I don't have a boat load of rods and reels, line, lures, weights etc. but could lose some that I know I will never use, even though it may be hard to do. Usually it's the hard stuff we do that pays off the most.

My question is this, do we have a connection to a youth group or the such that we can as a group contribute fishing equipment to? If we don't we should.

Does everyone think I'm nuts like my pal in Hamilton thinks I am to even suggest getting rid of some rigs?

I know most everyone here has some and can afford it.

I just wait until a new fisherman is born at work. It seems every year there is a newbie to fishing at my work looking for advice and equipment. I've hooked a lotta people up over the years there. Most recently I gave a tackle box and two rods to a friend who was interested in fishing as an activity for himself and his brother, who is physically handicapped from the waist down.

I cant even explain how rewarding it is when he shows me pictures of his brother with a smile ear to ear, holding a big carp or a bunch of perch.

Great Thought Old Ironmaker. This is where our club members from the Stelco and GHOC club take our excess and unwanted tackle and sports stuff. We just took out a bunch of stuff the other day in my truck didn't count the rods & reels,line and 12 Blowup beach canoes, the kids there helped us unload and were ecstatic.

card_zpsd23ec476.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Dave,

Good to know thanks, Mt. Hope is very close, and the CYO helped a misguided youth from the east end years ago. I will give her a call. Hope to see you on the 20th.

Rich,

Good on you too my man.

If everyone picked a local charity or even school to donate to locally I think we would be helping a new generation of fishing fanatics. Shouldn't you be out fishing, I know a bit of rain isn't going to stop you.

I'll be there John. I think Rich is getting soft in his old age, haven't seen any of his great videos. :D I don't think he wants to show any of his secret spots :D

But as Rich says, it does the heart good, good for you Rich

Edited by Fish Farmer

I've always managed to have gear to give to kids. Some of it my own. Some I've refurbished from yard sales. I also buy a few kids combos for the local charity @ Christmas. Biggest kick was taking 3 combos to one family's home on Christmas eve late in the evening wearing my float coat and Christmas cap. The mom made sure the kids were peeking through the window as I Ieft the gifts by their door. The stories I heard from those children still leave me grinning from ear to ear.

Another option is the OFAH Tackleshare program.

A few years ago I organized some Big Brothers & Sisters fishing days. From that experiene I can assure you if a call is made to the local office they would be more then happy to accept your donation of fishnig equipment.

Great Thought Old Ironmaker. This is where our club members from the Stelco and GHOC club take our excess and unwanted tackle and sports stuff. We just took out a bunch of stuff the other day in my truck didn't count the rods & reels,line and 12 Blowup beach canoes, the kids there helped us unload and were ecstatic.

card_zpsd23ec476.jpg

Dave,

I did not know there was a place so close to a friend of mine that has a few ponds on his property that I use to take kids to when I was running a Fishing Club out of the Kiwanis in the east End for their kids.. Got told the next year with the new building that we could not use the room any more because a group that was paying MONEY ( this is a non profit group) if I remember correctly are they not??? wanted the room..

Needless to say the Fishing Club was dissolved..

I now run a Fishing Derby for the kids in our Trailers Park in Scotland ON the long weekend in Aug.

Lots of fun and satisfaction for the kids :clapping:

Edited by Loonietoon

Many libraries along lake Huron lend out fishing Equipment, just like books, to the youth in their communities.

The Lake Huron Fishing Club set up the Library share program in Bruce County & I believe they have a limited amount of tackle with rods that they lend out, if people had Tackle, Line I know it would be used & appreciated, there are a few hooks, sinkers, bobbers, a couple smaller cheaper lures & a bit of plastic, I'm on the Executive but not in charge of this program

Tight Lines SBK

TackleShare2012.jpgTackleShare20123.jpgTackleShare20122.jpgTackleShare20121.jpg

I usually go to the local lakes on a warm day and hand out tackle and rod and reels. Most of them come from customers who have them sitting in there garage. I take them and service them and make up a tackle pack adding a few items that I buy to round it out.I also like to fish and when I see a kid fishing and I have a lure that is working I will cut it off and tie the "special" lure on there pole. You don't need a club to donate tackle it can be handed out by you and the warm feeling will last all day.

Art

I usually go to the local lakes on a warm day and hand out tackle and rod and reels. Most of them come from customers who have them sitting in there garage. I take them and service them and make up a tackle pack adding a few items that I buy to round it out.I also like to fish and when I see a kid fishing and I have a lure that is working I will cut it off and tie the "special" lure on there pole. You don't need a club to donate tackle it can be handed out by you and the warm feeling will last all day.

Art

Last year while fishing crappie there was a young couple fishing with their two kids, they weren't catching anything and we were just hamering them. I called them over to where we were, showed them how to set up there rods, gave them some jigs and baits. You'd have thought I'd given them a million dollars! Made a good day fishing spectacular!

I'll be there John. I think Rich is getting soft in his old age, haven't seen any of his great videos. :D I don't think he wants to show any of his secret spots :D

But as Rich says, it does the heart good, good for you Rich

Youtube 'Action Angling' sir, still plenty of vids out there, I just cant take the criticism of posting them on public forums anymore. Haha

There's a lot of people who still think I'm a 17 yr old kid here.

Talked to Sherri Dunn from the CYO today. They need anything that they think the kids can use, and they can use it badly. Any sporting equipment, anything.

I will be dropping some stuff off asap. Including some baseball equipment that has been laying around for 20 years. I don't think I can make it to 1st anymore.

I challenge all the good folks from the Hammer to do the same.

They are at the Binbrook Conservation Authority Lake Niapenco. At Nebo and Chippewa. Number is 905-528-0011 ex. 2234 Monday to Friday.

Thanks all

Johnny D

• 2 years later...

Tagged for interest.

Anybody know of something closer to Kingston?

I was of the opinion that OFAH's Tackle Share program only wanted new stuff? (I guess I should know, I am an OFAH Life Member............ :dunno:)

Doug