Looking for Mr Splakey, Haliburton back lake report w/pics

chris.brock

This daytrip was with my Dad and brother. We don't get out together alot anymore, so we went on a trek.

A pretty good drive to our starting point. We used 1 snowmobile (2 guys) and pulled a sled for the third guys so we could get everyone in, in one trip.

Here's the guys walking the last trail to our destination lake, alot of nice hemlock forests in the area.

100_2185_zpsb02c456e.jpg

We couldn't get large emerald shiners, we had some tiny emeralds and some larger common shiners. I was worried the common shiners weren't going to do the trick. We set up the tip-ups, no bites for the first 45 minutes, then the frenzy started.

100_2186_zps3cd757d3.jpg

the fish came in waves, all afternoon

100_2189_zpsb3657751.jpg

when the bite was on, it was hard to keep all the lines set, and hard to warm up your hands

100_2187_zpsceb33e2e.jpg

here's a nice male that looks more brookie-ish

splake_zps24e08e90.jpg

we lit a fire in some pines on the shore,

100_2190_zps712938a6.jpg

flurries all day then a good snow squal later in the afternoon

100_2192_zps5a966d6e.jpg

we landed 11 fish on probably around 25 bites, the action would come in waves, then go quiet for awhile

We all had a great day, a good adventure, it was likely one of my top 50, all time fun fishing days

Great report , looks like you guys had a great day . Love those back country trout lakes , nice and quiet and loaded with fish :canadian:

yeah, I seem to always want to explore the back lakes, sometimes it works out, sometimes not so much

Looks like a good day,nice pics ,that squall sure came in!!!

I think the steady, fluffy snow added to our memories of the day, the squall was cool too

Awesome man!

I've really been enjoying your back lake reports this year!

cool, thanks, next weekend is guys weekend at the cottage, 2 city slickers, fishin', sleddin', and probably some drinkin'

Great pics and report You guys had a good day. What Depth were most of your fish caught in. Thanks Mike

the shallowest was 5', the deepest was 20', all depths yielded strikes, only 1 tip-up never moved all day, I'd say optimum depth that day was 8'

Sweet success!! Really nice fish there, and with family- special times.

thanks, the family aspect made it special

Edited by chris.brock

Great fish, and tough to beat that average size. I've yet to find a type of baitfish that splake won't clobber!

commons, emeralds, they didn't seem to mind, there was even a few suckers in there too that got hit

we could really notice the year classes of the fish caught, the lake's stocked every 2nd year, any tips on how find the old timers?

Looked like a great trip. Definitely worth the trek in if you're catching those fish.

That male fish looks like a brookie for sure. The coulouration and also the shape of the tail. Square tail vs fork tail is usually a dead give away thst its a brookie.

Thanks for sharing.

Great average size splake for sure! Thanks for the report.

Fishing with family is always great. Ya can't beat a back lake trout trip, the shore lunch fire under the pines, nice fresh snowfall.....beauties man! That's what my icefishing dreams are made of. Pounding on the trout is always a great bonus! Nice work!

S.

Looked like a great trip. Definitely worth the trek in if you're catching those fish.

That male fish looks like a brookie for sure. The coulouration and also the shape of the tail. Square tail vs fork tail is usually a dead give away thst its a brookie.

Thanks for sharing.

I was going to say the same thing. I think that is a brookie with the square tail.