Crazy stuff you see on your daily commute NF

Cast-Away

I drive the 400 every day and it always amazes me to see Smart Cars coming up and down from the north, especially in the winter time. These 3 cylinder vehicles were never meant for the highway amd certainly not on a daily basis. Sometimes they are being driven at 120 km/hour!

From a safety perspective, I don't think that the survival rate would be too high at highway speeds. I saw one just today in the winter! Can you imagine the traction in a snow storm?

What crazy things do you see during the daily commute?

I got stuck at an intersection on my way to work one day because a Pepsi truck overturned and there were Pepsi cans all over the road/intersection. The cops and firefighters were helping pick them up and were getting sprayed by the punctured/broken Pepsi cans :o

Commuted from Whitby to Brampton for a while and saw all sorts of great stuff. From full blown applying of makeup, to guys shaving (more often than you'd think), to eating impractical things like a bowl of cereal.

There was one guy I saw most days that would read a newspaper every morning on the 401.

A friend was driving to work one morning and when she stopped at a red light, her car stalled. She couldn't get it started again and the guy behind her started blasting his horn at her and wouldn't let up.

After a minute or so of that nonsence, she took the keys out of the ignition, walked back to the doofus behind her, opened his door and said "here's my keys, would you please go and start my car for me and I'll blow your horn for you"

He felt like such an idiot, he backed up and went around her like a scared dog with his tail between his legs. :lol:

Guys like that is something you don't need to see on your way to work.

When I did the commute from Oshawa to Mississauga my fav part was looking for deer along the 401. There always seemed to be a concentration of them around Lakeridge road on the north side of the 401. And another spot... Rouge valley I think. It always seemed special seeing them heading into the big city for work.

Now I live and work in Oshawa. But I still look for wildlife when I'm heading to work. Tuesday night on my way home from work at Midnite I actually hit a Possum down near the lake. And I see lots of Coyotes and the odd deer too.

I've seen about 7 car accidents this week.

10 deer since 2013

Driving thru farm country on my commute This summer I cam over a hill, and there was a hill billy on a 4 wheeler doing a cat walk straight toward me in my lane. All i saw was the bottom of quad flying at me. This guy slams on his breaks, peals of in to a field and starts blowing doughnuts! Must have been his Dad's machine. Didn't even care that I was there.

Yesterday, I saw a pick up truck slam in to the back of a road sander.

Last summer I had one of the crop watering machines drive it's self on to the road. My car got a good washing!

Here's a good one from the 80's.

I was working @ Sheridan Mall @ the time.

It was winter during a snow storm and I was heading South coming up to the light just South of Dundas and I saw a vehicle in the Northbound curb lane that had spun out. It had it's back end in the ditch with it's front wheels on the shoulder and forward of the wheels was just poking into the curb lane (this was about 100yds North of the last light before Dundas). There are 2 lanes each way so the center lane North was clear (except for snow of course). It was fairly late and there were very few vehicles on the road, but there was one heading North in the curb lane. The ditched vehicle was there for quite a while already and had it's flashers on.

Did the Northbound vehicle slow down and change lanes.

Of course not!!!

They just leaned on their horn for several hundred yards and smacked straight into the stuck car.!!!!!! :wacko:

I drive the 400 every day and it always amazes me to see Smart Cars coming up and down from the north, especially in the winter time. These 3 cylinder vehicles were never meant for the highway amd certainly not on a daily basis. Sometimes they are being driven at 120 km/hour!

From a safety perspective, I don't think that the survival rate would be too high at highway speeds. I saw one just today in the winter! Can you imagine the traction in a snow storm?

What crazy things do you see during the daily commute?

Not to be an ass, but the Smart probably has better crash ratings then the car you're driving right now. And what makes you think these cars shouldn't be driving on the highway or on a daily basis for that matter? The CDI models are getting 60 MPG US with ease and are pretty bulletproof.

Here's another. :D

A friend of mine used to have an old full size van.

He was coming home from a day of steelheading in Meaford and Thornbury after sunset.

While travelling home he crested a hill only to find Betsy the cow standing in the middle of the road!!!

After the collision the van was bent up but drive-able and the cow was on it's back, legs in the air and DOA.

When the cops and fame showed up they all had to gang together to drag old Betsy off the road.

A friend was driving to work one morning and when she stopped at a red light, her car stalled. She couldn't get it started again and the guy behind her started blasting his horn at her and wouldn't let up.

After a minute or so of that nonsence, she took the keys out of the ignition, walked back to the doofus behind her, opened his door and said "here's my keys, would you please go and start my car for me and I'll blow your horn for you"

He felt like such an idiot, he backed up and went around her like a scared dog with his tail between his legs. :lol:

Guys like that is something you don't need to see on your way to work.

Love it Lew.

I had a friend whose car stalled in the left hand turning lane and as she kept trying to start it everybody kept honking. She was finally so exasperated she got out, got up on the hood and stood there and gave everyone behind her the finger for about a minute. They stopped honking :w00t:

Not to be an ass, but the Smart probably has better crash ratings then the car you're driving right now. And what makes you think these cars shouldn't be driving on the highway or on a daily basis for that matter? The CDI models are getting 60 MPG US with ease and are pretty bulletproof.

Bill

If you had seen the accident scene pictures of a smart car head on you would know why.

The driver was completely cut in half @ the waist!!!! upck.gif

Bill

If you had seen the accident scene pictures of a smart car head on you would know why.

The driver was completely cut in half @ the waist!!!! upck.gif

Come on Dave give me a break... Have you seen the pic of the RS6 ripped in half? What about the Porsche into the toll booth? OMG that means those cars area unsafe to!!! Do you really think Mercedes makes a vehicle anyone would consider to be unsafe? They've been the leader in the safety industry since well forever..

Here's a link for you to read, lol. There are a lot of very unsafe vehicles on the road (The previous gen Ford F150 is a great example, that thing folds like an accordian)

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24599768/ns/business-autos/t/smart-car-gets-highest-score-crash-tests/

Small does not equal unsafe.

Edited by BillM

The funniest thing I ever saw when I lived in TO about 10 yrs ago

I was following a car that ran through a light that was changing red – there was another guy at the intersection going the other way that was trying to make a left turn – the guy basically cut him off.

So the guy that was cut off does a U turn and chases down the other guy – I caught up to them a few lights down the road – the guy that had been cut off gets out of his truck and goes to confront the guy – well the guy jumped out of his car and he punches the guy right in the face – dropped the pour guy to his knees – gets back in his car and goes through the green light….I was crying I was laughing so hard, the guy finally picked himself off the ground and gets in his truck and drives away – I had to pull over I was laughing so hard.

I really don't miss driving in TO.

Come on Dave give me a break... Have you seen the pic of the RS6 ripped in half? What about the Porsche into the toll booth? OMG that means those cars area unsafe to!!! Do you really think Mercedes makes a vehicle anyone would consider to be unsafe? They've been the leader in the safety industry since well forever..

Here's a link for you to read, lol. There are a lot of very unsafe vehicles on the road (The previous gen Ford F150 is a great example, that thing folds like an accordian)

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24599768/ns/business-autos/t/smart-car-gets-highest-score-crash-tests/

Small does not equal unsafe.

:D

217577_10151281332873877_1059574437_n.pn

A Smart car would be stupid there!! :)

Craziest thing I ever saw was on the Dominican bus ride to the resort....moped bike with a family of 5 on board cruised right past us and actually cut in front of the bus making us brake.

Dad was driving with the 3 kids behind him and Mom holding on the back.

Funniest thing I ever saw was in Canada 20 years ago......we were driving home from up north in pouring rain and a couple guys in full raingear pass us in a convertible, top down! I still remember those bright orange and yellow rain suit figures.

Edited by fishsevern