2013 150 Mercury 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

Hooked

I looked at an 18 foot Legend they wanted 16,000.00 with a 50 on it..a 50

to upgrade to a 150 they wanted 18,000.00 more which meant they wanted more the 22,000.00 for that engine

oh to answer the question, go with the 4 stroke

I drove a 90 HP Merc 4 stroke for 9 years, then sold it to a bud who's had it for 4 years now.

To this day it's never had a single issue and runs as good as the day it was originally purchased.

Regular maintanance and a bit of TLC and they'll go forever.

Great motors.

Edited by lew

It used to piss me off to pay a marina $250 in the fall the do the routine end of season service required for my 2007 4 stroke 115 Yammy/Lund.

That pretty much ate up the fuel savings for the year.

But now I do it myself for about $80 and using Yamalube oil (expensive)

The quietness of the motor, lack of smoke and no need to use 2 stroke oil are the benefits.

Extra cost initially and extra weight are downsides. Also lack of hole shot, especially when loaded, also not as good.

Is the two stroke an Optimax or a traditional two stroke? There is a big difference.

I would still take a two stroke if there is a big price difference. I saved ~$3,000 by going with a two stroke when I bought my boat. I don't that that a four stroke would save me $3,000 in gas.

Is the two stroke an Optimax or a traditional two stroke? There is a big difference.

I would still take a two stroke if there is a big price difference. I saved ~$3,000 by going with a two stroke when I bought my boat. I don't that that a four stroke would save me $3,000 in gas.

On a 150 I think the four stroke would easily pay you back in gas savings depending on how you fish... and As long as you plan on keeping the boat for a while... And if you don't the 4 stroke will pay you back on resale.....

But I'm looking at this as a troller......if I go out for 10 hours my motor runs for 10 hours....

I had a 25 merc 2 stroke and my 50 Yamaha 4 stroke burns around the same as the 25 did in a day....

The

On a 150 I think the four stroke would easily pay you back in gas savings depending on how you fish... and As long as you plan on keeping the boat for a while... And if you don't the 4 stroke will pay you back on resale.....

But I'm looking at this as a troller......if I go out for 10 hours my motor runs for 10 hours....

I had a 25 merc 2 stroke and my 50 Yamaha 4 stroke burns around the same as the 25 did in a day....

The $3,000 savings was for a 50hp. I do a lot of trolling with with but I still only but about 10-15 liters per outing, max. That will be a lot of days of fishing before I save three grand with a four stroke.

The savings on a 150hp would be higher, but I think the price difference would be too. You could probably buy a kicker for less than the price difference.

I am not convince that I would get it back in resale value either. As a matter of fact when I had my boat at the marina for a new prop; the person I was dealing with mentioned that people would be willing to pay big bucks for my motor because they don't make them anymore.

I'll go against the grain here and state that 2 stroke, DFI engines are better in the higher HP ranges, i.e. 150HP and up. The newer DFI 2 strokes are as good or better in fuel economy and emissions, while the power to weight ratio puts the 2 strokes at a definate advantage. To say that a 4 stroke is better overall is simply not correct. I've attached a couple of indepedent articles on this issue and I would advise anyone to read them carefully. I have owned DFIs', Mercury Optimax (225HP), and I must state that in my experience they have been very reliable and best for me. I insist on good acceleration throughout the power band and in my opinion 2 strokes deliver this much better than 4 strokes. in the lower HP range, i.e. under 70HP, 4 stroke is the better option except for weight. In the 70HP to 150HP range, it's a tossup. I also own a 4 stroke kicker motor and these are better for trolling applications.

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/20670/fpart/1/dfi-2-stroke-vs-4-stroke-outboards

http://www.allatsea.net/southeast/outboard-engine-roundup-examining-todays-two-stroke-engines/,