NEWS IS 4 RESCUED

misfish

There was no excuse for being out on Simcoe today.. It's not like this warm spell came outta no where. People are stupid, plain and simple.

Bill are you saying that 1" of black ice and 3 inches of slush doesn't hold up in +12 and rain?

True enough... but in quest of a fish we.. okay some I go fishing with.. push our luck at times and could be swimmers on many given days. Even during great cold winters... swimming is just a vent hole away.

No doubt about that, but I prefer to at least eliminate the risk of "died of pure stupidity" from my fishing mishap list.

Of course I could step onto an inconsistent patch and drown even on good ice, but hopefully the chances are much lower.

Come on wayne, I can't believe your making excuses for these idiots! That's right, idiots! I hope they read this, because they are idiots!!! They should be ashamed of themselves for the rest of their lives! Just imagine the horror that poor kid went thru! It blows my mind how stupid people are, and they just keep getting more stupid every generation!

They better have to pay every red penny for their rescue. If it was up to me, I would have left them all out there to fend for themselves! Idiots!!!

S.

Was out on Cooks Bay on Thursday and was alright. Didnt feel threatened at all while catching over 150 perch. Say what you want, but I have enough experience to know when then ice is safe.

They better have to pay every red penny for their rescue. If it was up to me, I would have left them all out there to fend for themselves! Idiots!!! S.

The next time you do something that requires an emergency response, bear your attitude in mind, and fend for yourself. It is situations like this that determine if we are humane, or callous and uncaring.

Was out on Cooks Bay on Thursday and was alright. Didnt feel threatened at all while catching over 150 perch. Say what you want, but I have enough experience to know when then ice is safe.

Common sense would dictate you don't go ice fishing when it's 12 degrees out and there's crap ice to begin with. Unless you're some sort of ice whisperer, you didn't know what your next footstep would bring in those conditions. Don't kid yourself.

Edited by BillM

Common sense would dictate you don't go ice fishing when it's 12 degrees out and there's crap ice to begin with. Unless you're some sort of ice whisperer, you didn't know what your next footstep would bring in those conditions. Don't kid yourself.

Pretty sure even the ice whisperers couldn't know what the next step would bring. Probably could have launched the boat today and fished for lakers in oro on softwater. Edited by Cudz

I think that if an adult wants to risk their own well being than so be it.

but to risk the well being of a child well that in my mind is neglegent in every scence.12 c 5 inches at best reported Thursday morn and the warming trend had allready set in?

Thats just STUPID.

I also have gone for a unexpected swim in a back lake. By the time we got back to the house i was full on hypo.

Thanks to my uncles quick thinking im still here.I was 9yrs old.

Allmost 2ft of ice but we hit a hloe.

I hope they have to pay for their gross neglagence and if they took some one under the age of 18 out with them then they all should be criminaly charged.

No excuse for stupidity...

I think that if an adult wants to risk their own well being than so be it.

but to risk the well being of a child well that in my mind is neglegent in every scence.12 c. 5 inches of ice at best reported Thursday morn and the warming trend had allready set in?

Thats just STUPID.

I also have gone for a unexpected swim in a back lake. By the time we got back to the house i was full on hypo.

Thanks to my uncles quick thinking im still here.I was 9yrs old.

Allmost 2ft of ice but we hit a hloe.

I hope they have to pay for their gross neglagence and if they took some one under the age of 18 out with them then they all should be criminaly charged.

No excuse for stupidity...

Well so far this year the adults involved get the Darwin Award for sure !!!!!! And ya to endanger the kid is another kick in the asshat award lets see what happens today it has rained hard and still is here in bobcaygeon and sturgeon lake is looking pretty dark in spots !!! I didn't see any open water yesterday up in Haliburton in fact they are still out in their shacks and one guy told me he has 8 inches at his hut on kashagawigamog lake and seen huts on a few smaller lakes up there as well the locals up here on sturgeon lake moved their few huts off on Friday !!! Good call for them not sure about pigeon lake there was a few huts out there the river in bobcaygeon is open a fair bit into the lake very dangerous areas and the lower Trent is predicting possible flooding they will be releasing water today

You didnt hear buddy. I am the ice whisperer.

True enough... but in quest of a fish we.. okay some I go fishing with.. push our luck at times and could be swimmers on many given days. Even during great cold winters... swimming is just a vent hole away.

True enough Wayne. I am one that will venture out on ice that many may not.

A good example is 3 years ago at IBP. Guys walking everywhere. One wrong step,and they were going in. Inconsitant ice . Ya me along with others you know were out there.

IMO Yesterday was not the day to be out. That had to be a given to any ice angler.

They shouldn't have been out there and once they regain the feeling in their extremities including "la cabeza" they should have to do some community service considering what the community did for them today. I would consider that more than fair punishment .

Really hard to say but I don't really have a problem with services rendered being billed for extreme activities, ice fishing, snow mobiling, boating at high speeds, ice climbing, motorcross etc.... these are all activities where you are knowingly putting yourself at a higher risk of needing rescue. Maybe an exchange of community services or something. This rescue and the ones last year on simcoe are not eve comparable to needing paramedics because you had a heart attack or a drunk driver knocked you off the road etc...there was a warning out, heck I even posted it on here. The temps were high and wet. Obviously the ice was not safe.

Its incidents like this that get parking access removed and access ramps chained up. You want to complain about those things look fist at the ice fisherman that make the news. When's the last time you saw a group of ice fisherman on the news for something good like cleaning up a park or whatever.

Really hard to say but I don't really have a problem with services rendered being billed for extreme activities, ice fishing, snow mobiling, boating at high speeds, ice climbing, motorcross etc.... these are all activities where you are knowingly putting yourself at a higher risk of needing rescue. Maybe an exchange of community services or something. This rescue and the ones last year on simcoe are not eve comparable to needing paramedics because you had a heart attack or a drunk driver knocked you off the road etc...there was a warning out, heck I even posted it on here. The temps were high and wet. Obviously the ice was not safe.

Its incidents like this that get parking access removed and access ramps chained up. You want to complain about those things look fist at the ice fisherman that make the news. When's the last time you saw a group of ice fisherman on the news for something good like cleaning up a park or whatever.

Your right,ice fisherman could use a little good press. Too bad it's such a small,small percentage causing these problems.

But you can fine it.

Now lets just think about this.

4 morons go icefishing for pertch...

4 morons go swimming.

Its 12c and the sun is shining and no snow to shield the ice from the sun almost all day.

several highly trained men risk their safety in order to rescue 4 morons from their own foolishness.

Ive thought for several years that their should be a seperate licence for ice fishing a one time written exame just like a boating licence and that woud probably keep most idiots away from ice fishing and educate those that dont understand how ice conditions and weather are so closely linked together.

I wonder if they were checked for fishing licence?

And yes I have absolutly no pitty for those idiots.

Maybe they are rookie fisherman and read on a fishing board that people were fishing there so they made a drive north to fish and just figured the ice was safe?. I have met lots of people on the ice that say they read these different fishing boards but never sign up. I figure if your too lazy to sign up to the fishing boards then you dont deserve to read the valuable information thats posted inside. Most of the boards I visit have way more guests and visitors than members checking out the threads.

Maybe they are rookie fisherman and read on a fishing board that people were fishing there so they made a drive north to fish and just figured the ice was safe?. I have met lots of people on the ice that say they read these different fishing boards but never sign up. I figure if your too lazy to sign up to the fishing boards then you dont deserve to read the valuable information thats posted inside. Most of the boards I visit have way more guests and visitors than members checking out the threads.

If you rely on the internet to tell you if the ice is safe or not, you're still an idiot for going swimming in that type of weather/ice conditions.

They need to deal with reckless people like this before they ruin it for the rest of us. Fine them for the cost of the rescue.

The MNR can't enforce the fishing licenses we currently issue. Not much hope for a winter ice fishing licence. The guys that need regulating (ie. walk out on unsafe ice) wouldn't buy the licence anyway. The rest of us would buy the licence to comply. Kind of like the gun registry; the bad guys don't register their guns.

Dan O.