Ice reports

slightlyhuman

couldn't find one so I thought it might be a good idea to have a central thread everyone can go to find ice reports for places they might be looking to fish.

I haven't heard much, I know the kawarthas have been getting populated with huts lately, haven't heard anything about Simcoe where I am now. I've heard the Huntsville area is pretty thick, up to 6-7 inches in spots. Friend in Haliburton dropped his hut thru the ice today, so that doesn't sound promising there.

personally I'm looking to find out about Lake Rosseau right now if anyone has information, I have some friends on small lakes that say they're ok, but no reports on the bigger lakes.

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON THE CONDITION OF YOUR LAKE, POST HERE!

Happy new year and happy fishing everyone!

Small Lakes in Huntsville are totally locked up I'd say 5-6 inches of ice. I haven't tried Lake Vernon nor do I know the area well enough to do so. The only lake in my area is Island Lake and I'm not even going to bother making the drive for another week or so.

Edited by jeremy84

It's a pond, no current, and I'll be about 10ft out from shore, still too risky you think? (she'll be on the bank with a rope and life jacket)

a rope is never a bad idea.

4 mile lkae just skimed over between Christmas and New Years as there was a 1' high waves just before that so BE SAFE!

I augered a dozen test holes in Sturgeon Lake today.

All were in one general area, extreme south end of the lake, east side. I started right near shore and stopped about 700M out. Ice thickness ranged from a low of 4-5" to a high of 6-7". The ice sheet is sitting fully on the water surface, no air gaps in my 12 holes.

None of it was really good ice all the way through, so I stopped about 200M from the main bouyed channel.

I'd feel fine ice fishing on foot, no more than 2 guys together. I would not park a sled or quad for an extended period and I would not park 2 together at all. I wouldn't go anywhere there was measurable flow.

People skating on hamilton harbour !?

Fished a small (less than one acre) pond close to home today for an hour after work.. 3-4" of ice to deal with. Makes for easy drilling ... Provided you're not too afraid to keep drilling ;)

Anyone have information on ice conditions on Lake Bernard? Might head up, but it's always nice to have first hand reports.

Thanks.

The deepest part of lake Bernard froze over a week ago so be very careful I see a couple of shacks off of union street but the guy at Lake Bernard Outfitters doesn't have huts out yet. Hope this helps Mike

Lotsa ice on my end of Rainy River. About 14" in the non current areas, 8-10 inches in lighter current areas, back eddies are full of smash ice. Still need to be careful on where your going. Water levels are the lowest I've ever seen in the winter months, and I thought that would mean quicker/thicker ice, but not really the case. Still lotsa open water.

Tons of smaller lakes in Sunset Country ready to go, just look at Limeys reports clapping.gif

Gannon Narrows wide open near the bridge and to the east.

North end of Pigeon greeny/gey ice -nobody on it

You'll find that the narrows is open water all winter long, no matter how cold.

We were surprised to find 8" of clear, black ice on Upper Buckhorn a couple hundred yards off my shoreline yesterday. Of course the fish were nowhere to be found for the few hours we tried, but that seems to be the norm for our first outing of the season.

The ice on this lake is historically very inconsistent, with very limited safe ice at the best of times. Where we were on the lake has been ice-covered for the better part of a month now, other parts of the lake only froze over recently, if at all.

Chemong had a few anglers just south of the causeway yesterday, and more have been fishing around Fife's Bay for a week or more. The ice around the causeway didn't seem to freeze very evenly this year, with large open areas still visible as late as Christmas.

As always, be safe!