2012's Fishin' ReLOADED.

Moosebunk

2012's YEAR END.

Confessing how many days spent on the water this year would be admission to true fishing addiction. Working didn't beat out play days by much, but hey, that's the life right? 2012 was an interesting, trying and rewarding year during which the drive to travel, be outdoors and catch fish was fueled in a number ways.

Fishing for the love of fishing, and being genuine to that is what's real. It's about the fish, the escape outdoors, and how I choose to learn, improve and share fishing, always has been. It's hunting bigger and better trophies, trying to be supportive of what fishing is for others, and sharing with trusted friends and family. It's resisting negativity that seeks to control or take-away happiness within that. It is very much about a pursuit and good feeling, while steering passion and talents to a higher personal level. Again, it is for me a fishing for the love of fishing.

2012's year end is here. Proud of many great catches and experiences on the water and ice, it has always been a pleasure to share season's end with those who also enjoy what we all have in common. A snowy holiday project completed, posted here are a tonne of the years highlights for anyone interested.

AN ICED LAKER.

Winter blew by in a flurry. Two jobs with more than full-time shift-workers hours, it was especially tough to find sleep, energy, and to get me arse motivated at times. For this reason, January didn't see much action, but come first week of February while out laker fishing, the hook set right into a new personal best for on the ice. The lake before that time did have my number for sure, but persistence paid off. A freakin' awesome way to begin 2012, it set precedent for a laker loaded year to come!!!

Winter12-024.jpg

Winter12-023.jpg

MUSKIE MAGIC.

Knowing Andy a good number of years online, it had been evident to me he's a straight shooter who can seriously fish. Ice whiteys and lakers, streamside bows, open water skis and eyes, he's got that pegged and more. I was totally onboard with having him join me on a planned trip to LSC, and the two of us pumped to visit this muskie factory for our first times. It turned out to be some seriously wicked fun pounding spotties down there, and the whole experience served to restore a dwindling interest for muskie fishing.

Autumn12-108.jpg

Autumn12-102.jpg

Autumn12-111.jpg

WINTER WHITEYS.

Begged, stole and borrowed to tweak work scheds to co-ordinate with Grant's chemo treatments, and last minute easily convinced the man to jump in the truck for an ice trip up north. Quad in the box, poisson blancos on the agenda, we toured into PQ for a few days. Plan was to do all things necessary to see that Grant be taken care of, plus slay fish. Whipped by trips end from drilling holes, blazing all over Hizell's half acre, ooglin' our cutie French waitress and icing fish, all worked out perfectly. A memorable getaway.

Winter12-068.jpg

Winter12-080.jpg

Winter12-072.jpg

LEAH'S SMILING EYES.

My baby girl wanted some time out with dad. Leading up to Quinte I had been out plenty over six weeks to get in a bass season, then a trip down south for muskies. It was a tour on Quinte to introduce her to big fish that I had in mind, and finally one cool and calm day with my father along, it happened. Quite honestly our time together was so absolutely fun and memorable, I am aching to do this again with her. Leah's smile; even with missing teeth and all, melts hearts and takes the blues away. Add some gold, and these few photos are precious goods from 2012.

Autumn12-136-1.jpg

Autumn12-147.jpg

Autumn12-143.jpg

GAR WARS.

To have enemies means at some point and time you had to stand up for yourself. This was something I felt forced to do, when finally deciding I could no longer be insulted and told when, where, with whom or if I am even allowed to fish gar on the vast Ottawa River. Following over time and upset, I stood against others wanting to control my fishing and online reporting. The two very things which have been shared profoundly and generously with countless people over the years. And so, the decision to chase gar ultimately lead this past spring to allow for even more and bigger memories. During fine sunny days with genuine friends and family, all appreciated releasing personal bests, including myself, measuring this one great gar of unprecedented proportion and to be shared online as always. To fish or not fish gar... that is no question.

zzz01-1.jpg

zzz03.jpg

zzz02.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRF62NBCuf0

SPRING CRAPS.

Each tender, pannie morsel worth it's weight in snow leopard coats, the spring crappies of the Ottawa valley are a highly prized, fashion statement. Personally, it's fun to watch the float repeatedly drop... for a good few outings anyways. They are a pretty lookin' tail and when they model the runway it just can't get broadcasted out over the hotwire soon enough. Had a tonne of joy reeling in dozens and dozens of crappie bling. Some folks sharing the riches with me, and me sharing the riches in return.

Spring12-044.jpg

Spring12-040.jpg

Spring12-043.jpg

QUINT-EYE-SENTIALS.

Don't care if they don't fight the hardest. Don't care if other's think the place ain't what it used to be. Been 3-years now fishing Quinte from the Lund, for six outings a season and 18 total days during October & November, and the worst day fishing has been 4 for 6, with 3 eyes. But, that was three pig walleye which made me or someone in the boat happy to be along for the ride. Nothing bad about that really when ya think about it..? Big fish and bigger happiness for family and friends is what the BOQ is truly about. Them walleye be known for such good times, here and across this land.

Autumn12-150.jpg

Autumn12-134.jpg

Autumn12-157a.jpg

PICKIN' PICKY PIKES.

These fish aren't stuck-up, suspicious nor lock-jawed, but this past summer on a few trips to the north they sure did act like it many days. Strange patterns and much time breaking down the bage, admittedly the pike during this "Year of the Dragon," didn't spit fire and wreak the havoc they usually do. Although, the big beasts which came to be slayed this summer were true tests in battle, and worth a King's ransom for those fortunate enough. Big pike will always be a favorite.

Nip12-003.jpg

Kesa12-050.jpg

Nip12-001.jpg

SUMMER DAY.

She's her mother's girl and becoming more of a teenage test each passing day. Wanting girly things and thinking girly thoughts, my little Tom-Boy buddy is growing up. Fish once neat are now icky, things once interesting are now uncool, and winning her affection is more often a game trickier than hooking a fussy walleye that's been playing with ya on the flasher for hours. But, I guess that's coming of age for any child learning who they are and what they like. Summer tried to be all cool this day too, but when a 4-foot gar poops on your leg it's hard to be serious, and we both ended up sharing a memorable time and some laughs. That's "so Ninja" she'd say.

Spring12-115.jpg

Spring12-111.jpg

Spring12-117.jpg

SERIOUS SPECKS.

Not so serious, but a serious commitment in time and effort. That's in the least what it takes for specks the way I like 'em. This past year I have witnessed some amazing brook trout fishing from some online anglers. Epic journeys to backwood home lakes, speckled jewels were mined for all over the place. My past summer's efforts; halved over 14 days with two dedicated groups of friends, it was all of our good fortune which granted each with massive loads of that same sought after treasure. End result were some totally serious specks to remember.

Nip12-002.jpg

Nip12-106.jpg

Nip12-004.jpg

IN & OUT TROUT.

Didn't think when it was all elementary that much could be more radical than Mike Tyson's PunchOut. Didn't figure as a teen it could get any more gnarly than Street Fighter II... but it is! The time of ice fishing with a sonar and short-stick has made it so, and my favorite game this past winter was definitely deeper water lake trout. Besides the biggy above, three different trips during which lakers came to play, helped make the short ice season a winner. And, with the ice out occurring so soon in 2012 too, there was still a great game to be played with a long-stick as well. Game over lakers!

Winter12-037.jpg

Winter12-052.jpg

Spring12-029.jpg

FALL SMALLIES.

Really did enjoy the bass season. Concentrating mainly during the fall, the variety of new and old lakes along with new and various tactics, greatly appealed to the fishing senses. There are donkey bass hanging 'bout in these parts of the Prov., and when one loads up on any rig then comes flying out of the depths, well that's a surely good throb for any fishing knob. Smallies = fun.

zzz03-1.jpg

CopyofAutumn12-184.jpg

CopyofAutumn12-065.jpg

GRANT'S ROAD.

As asked for by Grant, I was there when he was first awoken from life support. Paralyzed and weak, in his eyes was a fear never seen in any friend before, and in his state trembled an uncertainty of himself. Having witnessed and endured a lot over time, this was hard, but it would be impossible to know how hard for Grant. Big shoulders from a life of helping lift others up, I took on what could be of his burden, carrying it everyday afterwards, and making sure he would not need to ask anything of me along his way again. Whips to the back, a gun to his, day-by-day through friendly support and Grant's own strength, he healed on his journey. And there at his road's end, a light shone down to reveal he had survived to find salvation. I stood loyal, praised, and celebrated respectfully with Grant, all which was honest and good to be experienced through the bad. Although, Grant proved much more for himself. Happy to see health restored and for fish to be played another day. Safe journey.

Kesa12-032.jpg

Winter12-095.jpg

Spring12-011.jpg

Kesa10D2-014.jpg

LUNKER LAKERS.

Several years to the Nip and there's only been little time put into the giant lakers this Ontario Great Lake is famous for. Why? Because of specks, because of pike and because other than a few caught during seemingly lucky windows, they have simply been tough to figure out. But this year during trip one while both jiggin' and riggin', the fish showed up. Returning again a little later armed with confidence, and the catch results were taken to a whole new level. Excellent lake trout to be caught, and now every time around they will be given plenty space on the agenda. Very glad to share those outings with two solid crews as well.

Nip12-144.jpg

Nip12-174.jpg

Nip12-151.jpg

BREN'S YEAR.

About seven years ago Bren decided to go back to school. Full-time job, two young kids, and living quite remote up in Moose Factory, until this past August she loaded on the maximum number of courses allowable to take at any one time. Through distance education Bren achieved her Degree and then Masters in Nursing, and ultimately a new career as a Nurse Practitioner. For a child of Attawapiskat, this is not only a huge feat, but it sets an amazing example. Since moving south in 2009, during all that study, work in her profession, being the greatest mother and wife, she also dedicated 3-5 days a week to train and compete in Martial Arts. This past November Bren received her blue belt in Brazilian Ju Jitsu to accompany a brown belt in Japanese Ju-Jitsu. All the fish caught in 2012 can't hold a candle to her trophies from this year. A woman to seriously respect, and a wife to love for all that she is and achieves.

Autumn12-118bwtext.jpg

z02.jpg

Summer12-053.jpg

Autumn12-054.jpg

Edited by Moosebunk

FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY.

It would be criminal to post a year end report and not show some of the great fish caught by family and friends. Here's a smorgasbord of species which only serves to scratch the surface.

Stevie Z.

Nip12-063.jpg

Dad.

Spring12-110.jpg

Mikey.

Nip12-022.jpg

Smooth Robbie.

Autumn12-172.jpg

Rob Rob.

Autumn12-169.jpg

Andy.

Autumn12-095.jpg

Fraser.

Summer12-058.jpg

Keith.

Autumn12-163.jpg

Bogie Crew.

Winter12-030a.jpg

Christine.

Summer12-032-1.jpg

Kevin.

Spring12-038.jpg

Greener.

Autumn12-158.jpg

Carl.

Spring12-094.jpg

Chris.

Autumn12-154.jpg

Bren.

Summer12-054.jpg

Wheelie.

Autumn12-144.jpg

Rufus.

Spring12-050.jpg

Mike.

Spring12-055-1.jpg

Tony.

Summer12-046.jpg

Len.

Autumn12-125-1.jpg

Patty.

Nip12-141.jpg

Grant.

Winter12-073.jpg

Steve.

Spring12-132.jpg

Huddy.

Spring12-020.jpg

Wayne.

Any of us parents here online, whom have followed Jen's incredibly hard yet inspiring life story, must surely take note of how fortunate we are, how strong hope and the human spirit can be, and how a family's love will endure. It is by both Jen and Wayne's dignity, strength and heart, which many of us online have hopefully learned something greater about ourselves, and as well a goodness to come from sharing with others.

Although this fish was caught a day or two before my arrival to Temagami, it is one favorite of the 2012 year. Best wishes to Jenny, Wayne and family in the 2013.

Winter12-097.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Tj6DZy9kM

Edited by Moosebunk

PICS FROM THE SEASONS.

Winter.

Winter12-066.jpg

Winter12-082.jpg

Winter12-045.jpg

Winter12-088.jpg

Winter12-087.jpg

Winter12-089.jpg

Winter12-085.jpg

Winter12-057.jpg

Spring.

Spring12-103a.jpg

Spring12-048.jpg

Spring12-046.jpg

Spring12-058-1.jpg

Spring12-060-1.jpg

Spring12-156.jpg

Spring12-049.jpg

Spring12-152.jpg

Summer.

Kesa12-026.jpg

Kesa12-014.jpg

Nip12-020.jpg

Summer12-025.jpg

Kesa12-006.jpg

Nip12-075.jpg

Kesa12-065.jpg

Kesa12-024.jpg

Autumn.

Autumn12-032.jpg

Autumn12-074.jpg

Autumn12-058.jpg

Autumn12-052.jpg

Autumn12-046.jpg

Autumn12-174.jpg

Autumn12-180b.jpg

Autumn12-202.jpg

All-in-all quite a wicked year on the fishing front. No big trips abroad, just four good seasons travelling throughout Ontario catching many, fine, home-grown greats. Loyal friends, family and new folks which shared in some of these good times have also made each and every day on the water that much more rewarding. Thanks to everyone for that, and as well to others who simply stayed in touch or showed appreciation of what fishing honestly is and always has been for me.

Happy New Year... “Fish more, slay more, harder hooksets,” and all the big and best fish for 2013.

Bunk.

Wow man do you ever catch small fish?

Wanna see the pictures??? :whistling:

Drew.. Thanks for the tear my unlikely friend from Perth!! You had another wonderful year on the water..... and some wonderful family time with them lovable gals!

.. once I have some dates for Jen's skull surgery, I'll be trying to put together another Feb trip to the great White North, if you can find the time!

Another Feb trip to the great White North, if you can find the time!

Keep me in the loop Wayne. The Bravo thanks to you is running awesome this season.

Thanks again guys. Some funny responses... and yes Barefoot, that one gar is a real giant. Might tell the story about it and the catch, one day down the road.

Surely you must be somehow rewarded for these incredible fishing adventures you share with so many.

Actually, it is obvious that by all the friendships,adventures, travels, life experiences, etc...that this is all very beneficial pour vous.

What an incredible array of huge fish from the prime freshwaters of Ontario. Incredible all 'round.

Many thanks!

This last bit is very classy. I have commented on the 'Karma' thread how Jen's strength, heart, courage, etc...help me in my fight against disability.

Obviously with your medical knowledge your more than impressed by her and Wayne's struggles and efforts which seem done with grace.

Any of us parents here online, whom have followed Jen's incredibly hard yet inspiring life story, must surely take note of how fortunate we are, how strong hope and the human spirit can be, and how a family's love will endure. It is by both Jen and Wayne's dignity, strength and heart, which many of us online have hopefully learned something greater about ourselves, and as well a goodness to come from sharing with others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Tj6DZy9kM

A "tip of the hat" to the master. Thanks for sharing your experiences, photos and most importantly, your positive attitude to life and conservation of our natural resources. In 2013, may we cross paths again on the water. Hopefully, this time, I'll be the one with the "fish-on". Alan

Surely you must be somehow rewarded for these incredible fishing adventures you share with so many.

Actually, it is obvious that by all the friendships,adventures, travels, life experiences, etc...that this is all very beneficial pour vous.

What an incredible array of huge fish from the prime freshwaters of Ontario. Incredible all 'round.

Many thanks!

Actually Eric. You're the class act. And people like you. People that support and encourage fishing, others, and participation here. It's good to find people like this on the sites. As we understand it your health has seen better days, and fishing isn't as easy anymore. You could surely be bittered by that, I probably would. But you're not. From what I see you come across as positive all the time, with me and others here. That's what great about this site or any other really, and as you elude to, it is beneficial.

I have been known to take these sites seriously for a long time. Too serious maybe. Stemming back to isolation in Moose Factory with only a small few friends outside of work and no one who fishes as hard as I do, it was online forums and the people found there who I could relate to. Before going up north I had two friends from home here that fished as much as me, moving back a few years ago there's certainly more now. A few come and go, but that's life. A small few hate the big fish and big posts, but that's life too. Been hanging my hat with the fishing forums crowd for a decade now because at the end of the day it is a good place to be, with much to offer.

Good job, nice fish, nice pics.. always the highlight of the year here Bunk!

See... here's another dood that's been hanging around a long time too. He likes it here as well. Thanks for the props BBR!!!

Fantastic collection of fishing tales as usual MB, always look forward to them. Best part of your year though has to be the accomplishments of Bren, truely well done !!

See... here's another dood that's been hanging around a real loooong time too. :thumbsup_anim: And you're right ole feller... Bren's accomplishments are the best part. Should only bring more fish to the boat end of the day too. ;):lol:

In 2013, may we cross paths again on the water. Hopefully, this time, I'll be the one with the "fish-on". Alan

Al... you can't fool me... I seen ya catchin' brutes and slippin' 'em back all subtle-like. You're no slouch out there, and I imagine we will be seeing each other again in the 2013.

Thanks as always gang.