Deep Cycle Battery

Sour_Squirrel

I'll be shopping for a couple of new deep cycle batteries for my bow mounted trolling motor.

I need some input on which trolling motor batteries are best.

I will be looking for a couple of Group 31 batteries.

I have tried the Nautilus from Cdn. Tire in the past but found they didn't last more than 3 yrs.

Right now I have Eveready deep cycle batts. They've lasted about 4-5 yrs now.

I have heard the 'best' are Trojan AGM deep cycle batteries. However they are pricey. I had them priced at $375 each!!

So lets hear from what everyone is using and their experience with different brands of batteries.

Just in case someone says proper battery maintenance is important in the longevity of the battery, I have that covered already. I charge the batteries after each use with the on-board battery charger. In the winter I remove them and store them inside. I also give the batteries a topping charge every month.

I used Nautilus in the past got 4 years use from them. This past summer I purchased interstate. I use a bow mount Minn Kota power drive 55 lb thrust with the ipilot. Troll approximately 20 hours during a week end & still have about 30% charge left on the battery! Motor has battery indicator built in. Great trolling motor, great battery.

I'll be shopping for a couple of new deep cycle batteries for my bow mounted trolling motor.

I need some input on which trolling motor batteries are best.

I will be looking for a couple of Group 31 batteries.

I have tried the Nautilus from Cdn. Tire in the past but found they didn't last more than 3 yrs.

Right now I have Eveready deep cycle batts. They've lasted about 4-5 yrs now.

I have heard the 'best' are Trojan AGM deep cycle batteries. However they are pricey. I had them priced at $375 each!!

So lets hear from what everyone is using and their experience with different brands of batteries.

Just in case someone says proper battery maintenance is important in the longevity of the battery, I have that covered already. I charge the batteries after each use with the on-board battery charger. In the winter I remove them and store them inside. I also give the batteries a topping charge every month.

There's only a handful of companies that actually make the batteries, Interstate is not one of them, they are made by Johnson Controls. Trojans are a very good brand along with Deka and Odyssey, mo money but better product. AGM's can be fussy with charging unless you have the proper charger. And lastly, wait til spring unless you plan on using them right away. 4 months of sitting around unless on a smart charger is 4 months less lifespan for the batteries at your cost.

I'd stick with lead acid - tried and true technology.

I have 2 group 31 Deka Marine batteries. No problems. Peterborough Battery is great.

I've tried interstate, no good results. Never tried Nautilus, but have not heard glowing reviews.

Buy your batteries at a battery store, not a retailer.

Vibration kills batteries - strap 'em down well and use some dense foam between them to keep them from vibrating.

Edit - many battery stores sell blems (blemished batteries) for a great deal in Feb/Mar/Apr. Mostly they are just scratched or the label is rubbed or torn. Nothing wrong with the batteries.

Edited by Dutch

Go to a Sam's Club or similar store if you have one and pick them up there...you'll get the best price and just as good of batteries....just double check on each battery for a DATE...the fresher the better...and as someone else said...WAIT until Spring....

But don't forget to install a good ON-BOARD Charger in the boat to maintain the batteries YEAR round....depending on how many batteries you have will determine how many banks it should have....3 batteries will require a 3 bank charger...(2 for the deep cycle batteries and one separate bank for the starting battery.

I had read that Interstate batteries weren't so great but I've had very good luck with them. I have four on my boat...one cranking and the others deep cycle. I'm on the 36V electric all day on Erie and when in the river it's even more demanding due to the current. I just plug in the on-board charger and check levels every couple weeks.

I have two DieHard deep cycle batteries from 2005 on my boat....working like new to this day. No need to change them for next year.,..going strong.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Same here,two Nautalus,one 1000ca,the other 850ca. They sit downstairs on a piece of 2x8 plank. Slow charge first thing in the spring,alternator rest of the year. 5 plus years so far. The two position switch works great,just alternate days.

Anyone is free to go and spend but often a little searching can give some hard facts. Optima batteries are way over priced compared to the output/dollar.

Optima Blue 27 $254. 140 minute reserve capacity

Optima Blue 31 $284. 155 minute reserve

Nautilus 27DC $114. 160 minute reserve

Nautilus 31DC $139. 205 minute reserve

Nautilus AGM31 $259. 200 minute reserve

So, Nautilus 27 vs an Optima 27, less than 1/2 price with more output.

Nautilus 31 vs an Optima 31, less than 1/2 price with over 25% more output.

And, if you're hard set on spill proof, then a Nautilus 31AGM is still less than than an Optima 31 with almost 25% more output. That's how I look at it.

Edited by Fisherman

If you look at number of expected charge cycles divided by cost you will see the optima is cheaper. They also have a longer flatter output curve before running out of power compared to wet cells that get progressively weaker once you pass about the 60% discharge point.

I noticed the other day that Canadian Tire now sells real deep cycle batteries. The old Nautilus batteries were actually a hybrid (starter/deep cycle).

The new deep cycle is more expensive and has a 200 minute reserve capacity (200 minutes at 50 amps). However, I did not take the time to see if the caps on the battery can be removed in order to check the level of the liquid in the battery. I now no longer buy any deep cycle battery that I cannot open up to check the battery acid.

Right now, I am using a Demon deep cycle battery. It has 2 years of use and is still in top shape.

BTW....you must use an intelligent battery charger to fully recharge a deep cycle battery. Ordinary car battery chargers only decrease the battery life. I've been using a Shumacher charger for the past couple of years and I have really noticed a difference. I've even restored a battery that I thought was finished.

Trickle charge once every two months in the off season i say

A ON-BOARD charger is MUCH better because it's a SMART CHARGER and maintains your batteries ALL YEAR LONG while the boat is not in use...it's best to keep the batteries in the boat and have the ON-BOARD charger plugged in during the winter if at all possible....but if it's stored outside...and you have extreme weather conditions, then that's might be a different story...but who would do that to their boat.

A ON-BOARD charger is MUCH better because it's a SMART CHARGER and maintains your batteries ALL YEAR LONG while the boat is not in use...it's best to keep the batteries in the boat and have the ON-BOARD charger plugged in during the winter if at all possible....but if it's stored outside...and you have extreme weather conditions, then that's might be a different story...but who would do that to their boat.

I leave the on-board charger plugged in all winter while the boat is stored inside the garage :)

I just replaced my 7 season old Crown Batteries this year, and if they had a local (London area) retailer I would have gotten another set.(i'll probably be kicking myself in 3 or 4 years) Sail now sells them in their stores, or you can go to their retail store on Trowers (ave?) in Woodbridge just south of hwy 7 west of weston rd.

Edited by jjcanoe