Nippissing Limits

Fisherman

Your catch limit is always your possession limit !!!! If your limit is 2 walleyes you are not allowed to keep anymore walleyes till those fish are consumed !!!! You cannot stockpile fish and count them as its ok to catch 2 more tommorow and 2 the next !! You can only do that if you eat your limit everyday then you can go back out and catch your limit again!! That's the way it works for whatever area or if you are in an area whith special regs or slots

It is as simple as that, yet I know a number of long time anglers that I've had to point that you can't stockpile fish. I'm sure that they keep doing it. As for as fixing the problem, all involved parties are guilty to varying degrees. I was talking to a co-worker who had a native friend in his group of four on Nipissing last year. They each took home a cooler full of fish. I pointed out it out to him that he well exceeded his limit. He said that the group kept all they wanted because the native friend had told them that if they were checked by a CO he would simply say all the fish were his. I asked my coworker if he was OK with that. My coworker's justification was that they don't take home their limit every trip. (He considers his limit being 4 fish a day times the # of days at the camp!) Gee, I wonder why there is a problem. Disappointing to say the least.

First wanted to thank Nipfisher for his detailed reply (last post on Page-8) ... it appears we see this the same way; however, based on what I've re quoted here from 'fishindevel' and 'Andy', and the fact they seem very sure of their interpretation, then we could not take (legally) take 3 or 4 walleye home, at week's end

I'm so ticked off right now, on so many levels! :wallbash: Our group that has been spending big money each spring for the last 15 yrs, at a lodge on Lake Nipissing have always respected the limits, and the slot, to the extent that if a measurement at either end was even half way close, back it went. We did this even in those seasons where we were having a tough time scraping a meal together. We drive 1000 miles, spend big bucks supporting the local economy, and now another blow to my / our personal freedom. The max 4 fish to take home (which rarely happened btw), from our one trip/yr vacation, does no harm to the overall fishery, especially when compared to the story Andy tells here, and what I know many, but not all, "locals" do via their daily harvesting! hey, its easy when you live only minutes from the lake. I used to live in North Bay, so I've seen it happen.

The last thing I'll say is that I think the way Nipfisher is interpreting the new rules is the Correct version, and that is what our group will be following. This year, I think we will involve the lodge owner, show them our daily catch, document the heck out of everything, and if we are lucky enough to have four Walleye at week's end to take home, so be it. We will take our chances, and have a clear conscience doing so. We will respect the new daily catch, and the slot as we always do, but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I've had it!

Edited by JimC

Your catch limit is always your possession limit !!!! If your limit is 2 walleyes you are not allowed to keep anymore walleyes till those fish are consumed !!!! You cannot stockpile fish and count them as its ok to catch 2 more tommorow and 2 the next !! You can only do that if you eat your limit everyday then you can go back out and catch your limit again!! That's the way it works for whatever area or if you are in an area whith special regs or slots

Wow. looks like each of my family members will get a feed of pickeral once in 6 years if I go up once a year totake home 2 pickeral. And don't tell me to buy them in the store either.

Wow. looks like each of my family members will get a feed of pickeral once in 6 years if I go up once a year totake home 2 pickeral. And don't tell me to buy them in the store either.

This might be silly, but there are a lot of other lakes other then Nipissing that have walters.

Some of you guys are making it sound like it's the end of the world.

First wanted to thank Nipfisher for his detailed reply (last post on Page-8) ... it appears we see this the same way; however, based on what I've re quoted here from 'fishindevel' and 'Andy', and the fact they seem very sure of their interpretation, then we could not take (legally) take 3 or 4 walleye home, at week's end

I'm so ticked off right now, on so many levels! :wallbash: Our group that has been spending big money each spring for the last 15 yrs, at a lodge on Lake Nipissing have always respected the limits, and the slot, to the extent that if a measurement at either end was even half way close, back it went. We did this even in those seasons where we were having a tough time scraping a meal together. We drive 1000 miles, spend big bucks supporting the local economy, and now another blow to my / our personal freedom. The max 4 fish to take home (which rarely happened btw), from our one trip/yr vacation, does no harm to the overall fishery, especially when compared to the story Andy tells here, and what I know many, but not all, "locals" do via their daily harvesting! hey, its easy when you live only minutes from the lake. I used to live in North Bay, so I've seen it happen.

The last thing I'll say is that I think the way Nipfisher is interpreting the new rules is the Correct version, and that is what our group will be following. This year, I think we will involve the lodge owner, show them our daily catch, document the heck out of everything, and if we are lucky enough to have four Walleye at week's end to take home, so be it. We will take our chances, and have a clear conscience doing so. We will respect the new daily catch, and the slot as we always do, but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I've had it!

Jim C,

I looked at the regs and it clearly states that posession limit is the same as daily catch limit. Not sure why I thought different but, like you, I dont see "stockpiling" as wrong. Now I am talking "me" accumulating 4-6 walleye "on my own" over a week/month period. I am not talking 20-30 walleye in the freezer.

I will definately keep more perch this year and eat a few walleye in my hut or release them.

If ice-fishing Nipissing becomes too much of a hassle I may switch lakes for next winter.

This might be silly, but there are a lot of other lakes other then Nipissing that have walters.

Some of you guys are making it sound like it's the end of the world.

LOL......I guess we will soon see hundreds of ice bungalows on Nosbonsing, Trout, Tallon, Tilden, Wasi, Lakes etc.

Bill M, Those lakes have walleye but won't last long if more anglers start fishing them.

LOL......I guess we will soon see hundreds of ice bungalows on Nosbonsing, Trout, Tallon, Tilden, Wasi, Lakes etc.

Bill M, Those lakes have walleye but won't last long if more anglers start fishing them.

I'm just saying for the guys that make the big winter trek to Nipissing for walleyes in the winter, they've got options like Quinte as well. It's not all doom and gloom.

If they are that worried about filling the freezer, they've got options.

I read some time ago how the OMNR has its hands tied re the native harvest issue since the Feds are in charge of anything o do with this. But if harvest practices become a 'threat to conservation' or whatever words were used in what I read, then MNR can get authority to get involved. Non-native harvest leagally speaking takes a back seat to native harvest, so by reducing non-native limits this supports the argument that things are becoming a 'threat to conservation". Not sure if the non-native harvest has to be completely eliminated and whether the Nippissing walleye population has to be virtually wiped out before the Feds allow MNR to intervene, but looks like the direction things are headed.

Smelt population increase for sure will get walleye off bottom so harder for traditional angling methods to connect. But I bet the gov't lawyers have already come up with the 'line' which walleye pop'n levels need be reduced to before they feel they can successfully seek Fed approval re intervention. My $.02 on it anyways. Bash away!

As I mentioned in either this or the other Nip thread, we are fortunate enough to have a member of NFN here at OFC...

We have had this discussion in the past, here's the thread.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62043&hl=Crossfire&st=0

I know there is another one as well... I'll see if I can dig it up.

HH

Edit- it seems this is the only thread I can dig up..

Edited by Headhunter

In the old days... (circa 1960) we would go sucker fishing the creeks in the spring.. There were always walleyes mixed in with those suckers... Few years later ... no more walleyes.. just the suckers... then nobody went sucker fishing much any more....

I started guiding full time around 1965... We'd go out in the spring... (4 to a boat).. start fishing around 10am and have our limit by 11:30am... 24 walleyes all around 20-inches.. Go to shore for a big fish fry.... fill our bellies... God.. we stuffed ourselves.. could never eat all the fillets.. the left over would be thrown onto the rocks for the sesgulls...!

The only complaint from the guests was when they had to pay for a full day's guiding for less than two hours of fishing... :(

Each year.. it took a bit longer to catch our limit.... after about 5 years.. we would maybe... still be working hard to catch 24 walleyes.. by 2pm... We started hearing rumors about nets being located out on the Big Lake.. Well, there you go, someone is grabing all out fish..!

Soon got to the point where we would have to fish for 8 hours and maybe only have 10 fish (still all 20 inches in length for lunch)... Seagulls only got the guts..

Oh.. the days where you'd see maybe up to 30 boats, lying off just one reef... all with stringers drifting, full of 20-inch walleys... these days are gone...

I wonder what happend...? ;)

One dayt.. got so bad.. we even tryed a pike for lunch...! once you got by the bones.. it tasted all right... :good:

One day... fish all morning.. not one fish.. of any type... the two guests in the boat with me were grinning from ear-to-ear. Best day of their lives.. they explained to me.. (I was feeling bad because I could not produce any fish).. so they explained about working hard in Cleveland. everyday.. in the big factory... making a livng for their families.. just taking care of business..living in a big town... cars.. smoke.. whatever.. now here they were.. drifting in a boat on a beautiful northern lake.. slight breeze.. sunshine.. and not a care in the world..!

Why do you ask would anyone ever want to come and fish Lake Nipissing... ? B)

Merry Christmas all.... :santa:

I've said it to you many times Kevin, I could fish the West Arm for a week and not catch anything, but still say I had a fantastic week of fishing !!

One of my favorite places in the world !!

Merry Christmas to you and yours Kev :santa:

Merry Christmas all.... :santa:

I spend as much time up there as I can Kevin, regardless of the catching. The fishing and the scenery is great!

Have an awesome Christmas..

Jim C,

I looked at the regs and it clearly states that posession limit is the same as daily catch limit. Not sure why I thought different but, like you, I dont see "stockpiling" as wrong. Now I am talking "me" accumulating 4-6 walleye "on my own" over a week/month period. I am not talking 20-30 walleye in the freezer.

I will definately keep more perch this year and eat a few walleye in my hut or release them.

If ice-fishing Nipissing becomes too much of a hassle I may switch lakes for next winter.

yeah, I know ... it's going to be a total of only TWO Walleye per S-2 License in anyone's freezer at any point in time.

I'm just frustrated that the Minister in charge is ignoring action on, what I, and others are convinced would improve the situation significantly, rather than just attack the casual angler, and make life even more miserable for honest small business folks, running their lodges, and trying to keep their heads above water in tough economic times.

What I want to see positive action on are:

1. A Coordinated well managed, Mass Restocking Program to boost the Walleye population over time. It's how the Yellow Pickerel (ie Walleye) got into the Lake in the first place, and it sure worked then, so why not Now?!

2. A major cull of double-breasted Cormorants; Thousands upon thousands of these huge sea-going birds have infiltrated Lake Nipissing in recent years. I've watched them hunt; I believe they can eat their body weight in fish daily (correct me if I'm wrong); it does not surprise me at the large estimates of fish weight removed by this invasive species from the eco-system. Whether they are eating a 12" Walleye, or a small Perch, that removes feed from other game fish, the devastation continues. The only reason I can think of that this issue remains, is that the powers-to-be don't have what it takes to absorb a bit of flak from the activist lobby groups that hold all animal life sacred. You know who they are.

I am not going to go on about the NFN commercial fishery. I believe if 1. and 2. happened, and there was NFN participation, as there should be, we would all benefit, as would future generations. C'mon Minister in charge ... let's get serious and do something positive ... for once in your mandate!

Guess we're very fortunate on my home water, the best of which is all on Seneca Nations land. While they have exempt status as it pertains to regs, non-indians must purchase a Nations License ($35) which goes towards enforcement of regs and improved habitat. Additionally the Nations have built a walleye hatchery and are partnering with other state agencies to improve the lake. In the interest of full disclosure I must say the hatchery was funded by a federal grant, however the result is they are partnering if not leading efforts to improve the fishery. I'm told there was no netting last year, I know I never saw any nets. Limits were reduced to 4 fish/day, only 1/day over 21" on nations waters. A good step. It just made me wonder if some similar arrangement might work on Nipissing wherein hatchery/habitat improvement jobs, including knocking down the Cormorant population, might replace commercial harvesting jobs. One thing is for sure, all parties have a stake in the future of Nipissing as surely commercial fishing on the lake is not going to be a viable occupation in the near future without some major changes.

Guess we're very fortunate on my home water, the best of which is all on Seneca Nations land. While they have exempt status as it pertains to regs, non-indians must purchase a Nations License ($35) which goes towards enforcement of regs and improved habitat. Additionally the Nations have built a walleye hatchery and are partnering with other state agencies to improve the lake. In the interest of full disclosure I must say the hatchery was funded by a federal grant, however the result is they are partnering if not leading efforts to improve the fishery. I'm told there was no netting last year, I know I never saw any nets. Limits were reduced to 4 fish/day, only 1/day over 21" on nations waters. A good step. It just made me wonder if some similar arrangement might work on Nipissing wherein hatchery/habitat improvement jobs, including knocking down the Cormorant population, might replace commercial harvesting jobs. One thing is for sure, all parties have a stake in the future of Nipissing as surely commercial fishing on the lake is not going to be a viable occupation in the near future without some major changes.

The natives on our lake have promises to set up a hatchery but haven't come thru yet. At the monenttaking them out is more profitable than puting any back in.

I have had many discussions regarding the merits of restocking. The greatest concern being the impact the commercial fishery would have on the stocked population. Below is the reader digest version of the Red Lake story from Minnesota. The Walleye fishery was destroyed by both fisheries. The conditions were so bad the black crappie population exploded. Keep in mind there is a gill net commercial fishery and sports fishery on that lake today. Restocking can work if all groups contribute.

There were three major stockings done for restoration purposes into the Red Lakes. The initial stocking in 1999 was approximately 42 million fry, with 31 million in 2001, and 32 million in 2003.

Eggs were obtained by MN DNR from the Pike River run from Lake Vermilion. Eggs were incubated, hatched, and marked at a DNR hatchery near Bemidji. The Red Lake DNR assisted with marking and distribution of fry to Red Lake.

Estimated costs for egg collection, hatchery and administrative costs were approximately $68,000 per stocking event. The Red Lake Band and the Bureau of Indian Affairs, reimbursed the MNDNR $40,000 per stocking event. All three of these stocking events were exceptionally successful. I am certain that the restoration cost to MN anglers will be very quickly recovered in angling opportunity and economic return from the incredible fishery that has developed.

In addition to the restoration stocking, there were two smaller evaluation stocking events in 2004 and 2005 using 4-7 million fry. Though full scale stocking was no longer necessary it was important to have some marked fry in the system to be able to estimate wild fry production and recovery progress. This proved valuable by documenting exceptional wild fry production from our restored brood stock in excess of our earlier stocking efforts.

Eggs for the evaluation stockings were collected directly from the Blackduck River tributary to the Red Lakes by the Red Lake DNR and incubated and marked in the MNDNR hatchery. Since the Band did the egg collection and the State did the incubation, no reimbursement was exchanged for these collaborative efforts.

It should be noted that besides the actual costs and monetary reimbursements there has been considerable collaboration on all aspects of this recovery effort, of which egg collection and fry stocking has been just one part of a much larger process.

Thank you for your interest and feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Gary

Gary Barnard

Bemidji Area Fisheries Supervisor

reading 'headhunter' and 'LNSA' ... funny how Great things happen when ALL the stakeholders come together in a cooperative effort. The dollar investment mentioned ($68K) is not chump change, but geez, I spent that much myself at ONE lodge, bring my family, and fishing buddies there, over the years we've been enjoying Lake Nipissing. It's a multi-million dollar industry and definitely worth saving, for our kids and grandkids to enjoy, as we have.

Please keep the pressure on the 'MNR' and Minister in charge to sanction a vibrant, full blown, Walleye restocking program, and a major cull of the invasive Cormorants. If this is done soon, I believe we will see a rebound of adult Walleye that can support a responsible NFN commercial fishery and sport fishing within the rules. Let's go Fishing !!!

The stocking numbers for Red Lake seem Extremely low for any good results...Oneida Lake in Central NYS has always been stocked with OVER 100 million fry in that lake since the early 1900's and NOW receives 150 million fry...The DEC hopes for a 1% return...Oneida Lake is much smaller then the Nip and that doesn't even take account of the French River area that many fish may head to...But anyway's here is a LOT of interesting data on Oneida Lake and how it's been managed over the years...keep in mind there is no killer gill netting on Oneida Lake.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41034.html

http://www.nywea.org/clearwaters/pre02fall/314050.html

http://www.oneidalakeassociation.org/hatchery.htm

I received a response from my MPP in the mail today... in a nut shell, there is nothing there that I didn't know before the mail man arrived. Essentially, it is outlining what we have already been told here by some of the various stake holders.

They have completely begged off anything to do with Native based issues, not there jurisdiction.

Here's a quote...

"Walleye between 40 and 60 centimetres must still be released as is currently required. This "slot" size continues to protect spawning sized walleye. However, stocking Walleye is not enough to bring about the recovery of the Walleye population in Lake Nipissing. We need to address the mortality rate of young Walleye. Reducing the catch limit is a positive first step towards walleye population recovery, but other management actions will be required.

The changes are a good starting point for the development of a comprehensive Lake Nipissing fisheries management planning process that will explore developing objectives and management tactics for the Lake. The reduction in daily catch limits is just one part of a broader long term strategy for Lake Nipissing. In addition to developing a long-term management plan for Lake Nipissing, other management actions we are currently considering include exploration of additional angling opportunities for other species (eg yellow perch) and community based stocking.

The Ministry of Natural Resources is also continuing a dialogue with local First Nations regarding the commercial fishery. At the same time, the Ontario government respects that Nipissing First Nation members have a treaty right to fish commercially on Lake Nipissing, as legally determined in the 1990 R.v. Commanda case."

I wonder if the treaty allows them to empty the lake?

Also, it seems that the MNR want us to fish for perch. I wonder how long before we see a commercial perch harvest, if there isn't one already?

Anyway, there it is...

HH

IMHO your spinning your wheels trying to manage a lake for sport fishing all the while it can be commercially netted....HOWEVER, perch are the #1 enemy to walleye fry...the more perch you have the lower chance ANY (natural or stocked) walleye fry have to grow large enough to spawn or be caught by anyone. Oneida Lake has seen a steady fluctuation of walleye depending on how large the perch population is...LOTS of perch mean a smaller percentage of walleye make it past the fry stage.

That's a bit of a chicken and the egg situation. Less bigger eyes to eat perch, more perch to eat small eyes. The perch/walleye dynamic is a natural one, we just throw it out of wack sometimes. I am also not aware of the perch pop. in Nipissing.

Edited by kickingfrog