Nippissing Limits

Fisherman

IMHO your spinning your wheels trying to manage a lake for sport fishing all the while it can be commercially netted....HOWEVER, perch are the #1 enemy to walleye fry...the more perch you have the lower chance ANY (natural or stocked) walleye fry have to grow large enough to spawn or be caught by anyone. Oneida Lake has seen a steady fluctuation of walleye depending on how large the perch population is...LOTS of perch mean a smaller percentage of walleye make it past the fry stage.

A native can do a heck of a lot more damage to the walleye fishery than a bunch of perch. Perch cannot take breeders.

billy bob. l.erie shares a bountifull population of both perch and walleyes. thats hard to believe. guys the federales need involvment to even scratch the surface on the nip.as you can see local mpp and mnr lip service is widespread at hand.

Just to clarify... my MPP is in Pickering/Scarborough... that where the quote came from.

HH

billy bob. l.erie shares a bountifull population of both perch and walleyes. thats hard to believe. guys the federales need involvment to even scratch the surface on the nip.as you can see local mpp and mnr lip service is widespread at hand.

SO...what you're saying is you don't trust the Fish and Game guys to bring life back to that lake because they are the ones that managed it to where it is now..... :whistling: .......I HEAR YA...... :huh:

Here's a copy/paste from the article...

"It was also clear from the review that maintaining current harvest levels would further threaten the population."

So angler harvest level is cut in half and the other folks "harvesting" have only agreed to moritorium on the spring netting. And that is again, only the folks who they have any actual control over.

On a related note, I would suggest that Lake Nip locals plan on eating a lot of fillets in the next week or so, as anything in your freezer after Jan 1, could land you in pretty hot water!!

HH

We are making progress .. the Ontario government is willing to help us with our walleye stocking efforts...:

http://baytoday.ca/content/news/details.asp?c=50099

Minster Gravelle does not have it all 100% correct, but he is close enough. I am sure he has many issues to take care of concerning our natural resources, Lake Nipissing's walleyes being just one. If you will excuse me... he probably has bigger fish to fry...! :)

It is good to see him take time to come out and speak in support of his troops...!

Bottom line... the Minster of Natural Resources has spoken publicly that the MNR will support local groups with restocking efforts on Lake Nipissing.. this is big..! And most welcome...

:whistling:

I will have to agree,to have the Minister respond regarding restocking is very encouraging. The article on Seneca is very interesting. It makes sense to have all sides benefit from good fishing. First new idea I have heard in a while.

Unfortunately if we can't get beyond the dialoquing stage with the natives, we gain nothing.