Nippissing Limits

Fisherman

..and to anyone that thinks Capt hooked is blowing smoke.... Kevin works hard on their rearing ponds as do others that run lodges in the area. The "plummas" and myself have helped financially with this effort over the years and I'm sure a few others have as well. Any of you that are complaining about fish stocks are more than welcome to send funds Kevin's way via the "Highway 64 Hatchery". If you want a mailing address, send me a PM ! :dunno: No.. I won't tell you where the pond is!

Curious - how do you keep the cormorants out of the pond!?!?

As long as the Nip continues to be gill netted you are spinning your wheels with a stocking program.

Nipissing is I'm guessing 5-10 times larger then our Oneida Lake in central NYS...it's our walleye factory....there has been a fish hatchery right on the lake (actually across Rt 41 but on a spawning stream and only 100 yards up stream from the mouth) for just about ever.....the NYS DEC stocks 100,000,000 fry EACH year with the hopes of a 1% success rate...that's ONE HUNDRED MILLION walleye fry with the hopes of a 100,000 return....and there is no gill netting...never has been...walleye populations are just above 50% from the good old days though... :wallbash:

Now, to go through all that so they can be gill netted is ridiculous.

If sportsmen must comply with a slot limit then at the very least control the mesh size of the gill nets so anything under the size of 19" can pass through the nets...what's fair is fair....maybe then something good will happen to the Big Nip....here's hoping... :)

p.s. I own a fishing lodge

the cap't

:Gonefishing:

Does the decline in stocks and the new reg's have anything to do with this?

http://remaxtwincity.ca/viewlisting.php?id=467540

No disrespect meant; it must be pretty hard to stay in the game, when everything seems to be stacked against lodge owners.

I’ve also seen a listing for Memquisit; what a shame if these places fell into the wrong hands and they started building condos.

Things are always changing; some for the good and some for the bad.

Dan.

I'm curious about stocked walleye and their habitat. Do they tend to stay in the area (broadly speaking) they were released or do they have a very wide migration pattern ? ie-if they were emptied around Island X in the West Arm, would they stay in that area for life or would they actually make it out to the big lake where they would be susceptible to the nets ?

btw Kevin, what kind of commitment should volunteers be looking at if they wanted to help out ?

cheers

WB

No disrespect meant; it must be pretty hard to stay in the game, when everything seems to be stacked against lodge owners.

I’ve also seen a listing for Memquisit;

Dan.

SAD...and I'll bet it's only the beginning...they are not for sale because they can't handle the reservations....

I stayed at Memquisit Lodge about 4 years ago...nice set up...great people who own it...very good meals on their American Plan...lousy walleye fishing........I always wanted to fish that area, so we tried it for 5 days...I have no desire to return....but if the walleye fishing was close to what it should be that far north, I would return in a heart beat.

..and to anyone that thinks Capt hooked is blowing smoke.... Kevin works hard on their rearing ponds as do others that run lodges in the area. The "plummas" and myself have helped financially with this effort over the years and I'm sure a few others have as well. Any of you that are complaining about fish stocks are more than welcome to send funds Kevin's way via the "Highway 64 Hatchery". If you want a mailing address, send me a PM ! :dunno: No.. I won't tell you where the pond is!

It's very fortunate that people like your selves volunteer and do so much for others to enjoy. But it just erks me to see others high-jack your efforts.

But one day eyes will open when it's to late. The people that run this country walk around with blinkers on and make excuses.

Sad Sad Sad

I'm curious about stocked walleye and their habitat. Do they tend to stay in the area (broadly speaking) they were released or do they have a very wide migration pattern ? ie-if they were emptied around Island X in the West Arm, would they stay in that area for life or would they actually make it out to the big lake where they would be susceptible to the nets ?

btw Kevin, what kind of commitment should volunteers be looking at if they wanted to help out ?

cheers

WB

Being the same species as Lake Erie walleye...I'm GUESSING they will roam the entire lake following a food source....Lake Erie walleye travel from the extreme western end of Ohio (Spring) to the extreme eastern near Buffalo (mid Summer) depending on water temps and food source...this has been documented many times with tagged fish.

I’ve also seen a listing for Memquisit; what a shame if these places fell into the wrong hands and they started building condos.

Things are always changing; some for the good and some for the bad.

Dan.

To answer your question Dan: My family has been involved with sports fishing on the West Arm of Lake Nipissing since 1919 (= 93 years). We have been blessed to be able to work and live in, on and around Nipissing for all those years.. this is a wonderful area to spend some time...

Yes ... Mom & Pop places are dropping like flies around Nipissing (and probably other areas as well?) Unfortunately.. times change...

Leslie and I have operated Lakair Lodge for 22 years (having purchased the lodge from my parents).. and have raised a familty, two great kids (Zachary and Merideth)...! :thumbsup_anim:

For some time we have been thinking about a life style change... NOT because we do not like the business... (some of our customers .. my parents and grandparents guests.. have been coming to Lakair for over 50 years...!)... but because.. after 22 years it maybe time for a change... just maybe..?

Anyway his vague idea (of selling the business) and retiring someday was acellerated to the forefront last July when I was dianosed with a terminal brain tumor.... :(

But crap happens..!

:blahblah1:

Anyone interested in finding out more about walleye stocking effects on Lake Nipisisng can email me and I will do my best to answer your questions.. and line you up with persons... and groups that require volunteers next spring..

Also any questions about walleye habits on Lake Nipising.. that I can answer I will try to do.. my best at...

Feel free to email: [email protected]

the cap't..

:Gonefishing:

I was up to nippissing a few years back at Promiseland Camp on South Bay. It took a day or two to figure things out but we did and did just fine the rest of the week. It certainly wasnt fast and furious, but it was a great week of R&R and we didnt have any problems having a few fish for dinner a couple times.

We did notice an abandoned camp near ours while coming in and out of the bay, and i know shortly after our stay at promiseland that the owners sold it to another couple as well.

Here's another thing...

I make three trips a year up to Nip. Starting Jan 1, 2013, I will no longer be able to bring home a feed of Pickereyes for my family, unless I also bring another member of my family with me to "up our quota.

As a family of four, two 16 inch Pickereyes just aint gonna cut it. Please, don't tell me to subsidise my take home with Perch... why would anyone drive 4 hours to get perch, when those of us in the GTA can get all the perch we want out of Simcoe.

Come to think of it, seems like a fantstic marketing plan for NFN! Angler can't bring home enough fish to feed a family of four, heck, stop off and buy some! :wallbash:

HH

Kevin, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I wish you success in your plans for your future. Quality time with Leslie and your kids is ALL that matters now.

HH - I have not fished Nipissing much in the last couple of years because of family committments but I am not really worried about these changes. From regular fisherman I talked with this summer more walleye and more big walleye were caught then ever before. I would have liked to see the slot size removed with the limit down to 2 fish, but I will subsidize my catch with Perch. I am local so my dollars don't help the outfitters.....but.......there are way to many of them with bungalows anyways.

Still plenty of bass and pike in the West Arm. I have no idea why walleye are held in such high regard. Sure they taste good but they fight like a wet hankerchief. I may be the odd man out but I really like the taste of pike (more so than bass) and keep the occasional one for dinner.

i had a great time in the west arm this summer smashing all the bass and pike i could handle. :Gonefishing:

and i also like eating pike :thumbsup_anim:

I have been up to see Kevin and Leslie for many years at Lake Air Lodge. The fishery has been excellent as far as fish to catch, if you take the time to learn the patterns. I personally fish for mostly Pike because I like the aggressive bite they are capable of. I have fished a few times with a few of the Musky men of OFC and to this day my record is unbroken beating them despite there hardest efforts to put me on fish. The Walleye/Pikeral have been more of a bycatch than a species I fished for.

I have had the pleasure of a trip to the ponds that Kevin has been supporting and working hard at for at least the 12 years I have known him. If you want to help you can do it one of two ways Volunteering is one and financial support is another. I know that 100% of any money that you get to Kevin is spent on making a difference in the walleye population for all of the people that make a living from the lake.

Art

i had a great time in the west arm this summer smashing all the bass and pike i could handle. :Gonefishing:

and i also like eating pike :thumbsup_anim:

I have been up to see Kevin and Leslie for many years at Lake Air Lodge. The fishery has been excellent as far as fish to catch, if you take the time to learn the patterns. I personally fish for mostly Pike because I like the aggressive bite they are capable of. I have fished a few times with a few of the Musky men of OFC and to this day my record is unbroken beating them despite there hardest efforts to put me on fish. The Walleye/Pikeral have been more of a bycatch than a species I fished for.

I have had the pleasure of a trip to the ponds that Kevin has been supporting and working hard at for at least the 12 years I have known him. If you want to help you can do it one of two ways Volunteering is one and financial support is another. I know that 100% of any money that you get to Kevin is spent on making a difference in the walleye population for all of the people that make a living from the lake.

Art

I think it's great that so many have enjoyed the area for some time and I also think it's fantastic that folks are getting involved in helping the lake. But this thread is about changes to Pickereye possession not bass or Pike. There are plenty of places to fish for those species, some of which are Pickereye factories, as Nip once was.

I am glad that folks have alternatives to Pickereyes, but the fact that there are once again inequities among the provinces' citizens is what this thread is really about.

As we all know, there is virtually no political will to take on this and similar resource based challenges at any level of government... and the fact that no one is listening to us, a dispersed group whose funds support all of the provinces sport fishing is not only annoying, but ultimately frustrating.

I was always told that if you pay, you play... unfortunately, we seem to pay, and others play.

HH

Agree, this thread is about the bulgy eyes but when another poster noted the sale of two West Arm resorts and whether or not this had to do with the wally population, I brought up the other species to suggest that walleye, imo, don't make or break lodges up there. At least not in the WA, afaik. It'd be great if the numbers were like what many recall as the old days but the other species make up for it I think.

Edited by woodenboater