Nippissing Limits

Fisherman

Just read this on another board, looks like the limits have been cut in half for non commercial types. That really makes you think twice if it's worth the drive anymore, Sport licence 2, Conservation licence 1.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/factsheet/stdprod_101636.pdf

No walleye there anyway. 'Whistle'

That sucks for my walleye eating quota, but I'll have just as much fun catching them.

Ya, but is this really going to help? Even if the population rebounds,do you think that they will ever change the limit back to S-4, C-2? Fat chance. I have a feeling that this will eventually become the norm through the north. I believe Nipissing was first to implement the lower limits from S-6, and the rest of the province followed suit.

Looking at the regs it looks like they took the slot limit out, but there may be more details to follow. I wonder if the netters have reduced limits also. Sad day for all the lodges and resorts on the lake. No way that this is going to be good for business. I guess they will eventually sell and the waterfront properties will become Muskoka North super cottages.

I stopped going to the Big Nip YEARS ago...what once was a walleye factory isn't worth going if the total trip was FREE.....

That's simply not true, at least in my opinion. Nipissing is beautiful water, beautiful country. As far as the fishing goes, I've had great trips and I've had trips where the fishing wasn't the greatest, but it was always good for the soul. If it was just about putting numbers in the boat or meat in the freezer, I would need a new hobby. Andy

Edited by Andy

I stopped going to the Big Nip YEARS ago...what once was a walleye factory isn't worth going if the total trip was FREE.....

I stopped going years ago Bob. Our group spent hundreds of dollars their and couldn't keep 1 Walleye for a fry. The only fry we had was dink Perch and Sunfish. The Walleye we caught had to be released and at the end of the road you now who was netting them and loading them into refers. Got that from the lodge owner.

Sad for the tourist industry.

But that's OK Bob, our government has lots of money to throw out the window and burn :whistling:, I hope they got lots to pay welfare and unemployment. :worthy:

Plenty of nice size perch to fill the belly, like Joeytier said. As for not worth going to, had a great time ice fishing there last year. Lots of perch, enough walleye to keep it interesting, and, a few nice size ling to put a good bend in the ice fishing rods.

In other words if you keep your expectations low the fishing is still ok.

Gill nets are good for the lake.

Right?

I'm glad you feel that way. Tell all your friends, too...

Oh, they ALL have....and I don't think any of the businesses would like what you are saying...NOT GOOD for the local economy... :whistling:

I was probably going there before you were born....made my first trip there in May of 1975 and continued to go there for almost 15 years...I no longer even consider it...and that's SAD... :(

That's simply not true, at least in my opinion. Nipissing is beautiful water, beautiful country. As far as the fishing goes, I've had great trips and I've had trips where the fishing wasn't the greatest, but it was always good for the soul. If it was just about putting numbers in the boat or meat in the freezer, I would need a new hobby. Andy

I can't disagree that it's not beautiful water and all that....but I can get that MUCH closer to home, at many lakes...

You see, when a FISHERMEN travels 8+ hours to fish, he expects to catch the species he's after....

For putting meat in the freezer...you can't beat Lake Erie....ESPECIALLY since the U.S.A. side outlawed gill nets and in hence, there are no longer any commercial netting on our side of the lake...HUGE DIFFERENCE now... :)

I stopped going years ago Bob. Our group spent hundreds of dollars their and couldn't keep 1 Walleye for a fry. The only fry we had was dink Perch and Sunfish. The Walleye we caught had to be released and at the end of the road you now who was netting them and loading them into refers. Got that from the lodge owner.

Sad for the tourist industry.

But that's OK Bob, our government has lots of money to throw out the window and burn :whistling:, I hope they got lots to pay welfare and unemployment. :worthy:

YES...same here...not a single guy I know that had fished that lake goes there anymore....SAD