Keeping minnows and shiners alive

davey buoy

Just thinking the other day,if I was to pick minnows or shiners up after work on a Friday. What is the best way to keep them alive overnight ,or for the remainder of the weekend?. Keep in mind early morning start,sometimes before the bait stores open. Is the bucket with the air pump the best?,or is there other options to keep them lively?.

Edited by davey buoy

I just put them in a minnow bucket (flo troll style) in the fridge. Kept them for a week or more this way. Changed the water before coming home from fishing. At the time I was getting very healthy "scoops" meaning at least 4 or more dozen so a scoop went a long way.

Michael

I just put them in a minnow bucket (flo troll style) in the fridge. Kept them for a week or more this way. Changed the water before coming home from fishing. At the time I was getting very healthy "scoops" meaning at least 4 or more dozen so a scoop went a long way.

Michael

Would that be the same bucket I use on my boat,with the trap door and you can pull behind your boat?

Dat's de wun! Like I said, I had no problems as long as I kept them cool. Never even used an aerator but I can't see where that would hurt. I did use ice cubes as well - added one or two a day - as they melt they release O2 - but that was only when I didn't get out for more than 2 days or so to change the water.

Michael

I got this last year.

When i get to the water I take the bucket out of the back of the van and plug it into the boat or swith it over to he 9V. I can keem them alive for 3 summer days.

It must be bigger than it looks,9v and 12v, nice option. How much?

This is the BEST one I have used....been using it for about 30 years...but back then they were only $5.99.......it COOLS the water and adds oxygen in it...so it works great on hot summer days, so you get a early start the next morning on those BIG Lake Erie Perch.... :thumbsup_anim:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/hypark-mino-mizer.aspx?a=70611

Aeration is one thing to keep minnows alive but water changes are the most important for reliably keeping them for more than overnight.

When at the cottage I leave the bucket in the laundry sink with a trickle of water running into it (and out) and they do well.

When they respire they release ammonia, which is toxic in very low levels. In the bucket you have no dilution or "biological filter" to get rid of or convert the ammonia to less toxic compounds. Thus you need to change the water. If you are on a well you just need to change the water with similar temp well water and you're good to go. If you are a city dweller, you need to use a dechlorinator (or chloramine remover if your area uses). I use a product called Prime to treat the water for all my aquariums, this is the most cost effective (concentrated) liquid product you can buy for removing chlorine and chloramines.

Burt :)

Shiners suck... and are harder to keep alive.

Dace can actually breathe their own feces I think.

Keeping minnows alive last year for about 6 weeks I put the minnow bucket in a bigger bucket and made sure the minnow bucket is too the top with water. Bucket into the garage next too the door, check on it daily, if freezing over bring it in until thawed, and repeat. Every now and again, go outside and fill a bucket or two with compacted snow. Let it melt inside, and then change out your minnow water if you couldn't do it on the ice while fishing.

Minnows will last all winter, it's like feeding the fish in the fish bowl, your dog, or taking a daily medication. Routine.

The bucket in a bucket is handy too, you won't loose water as easily or at all when carting the bucket in the sled onto the lake.

Well I have a couple old 20 gallon HOB filters and a air pump hanging around. I could hook the filter with bio wheel on a 18 kg pail,than/or run a air pump with air stone in the bucket outside. Would keep the water cold and mostly ice free. Than during the day just change the water from lake, and than repeat for the next day if need be. Might work?

Some good ideas!!

Edited by davey buoy

I usually just freeze some blocks of lake water, and put them in my cooler full of minnows. Works great. Keeps the water cool, and adds new 02 to the water.

Shiners require more help, but dace will live in a water bottle for a week, no problem.

S.

Air pump and keep cool, not a problem this time of year but in the summer yes.

Also learned not to dump them into a square pail. Brought a buch of emeralds home one time after a day fishing and decided to put them into a larger pail than the minnow bucket. It was a red plastic pail that milkbones had come in. Soon as they hit the water it was a race around the bucket and they kept running themselves into the corners. In minutes they had all died.

Edited by pikehunter

It's all about the temp. I've kept sucker minnows alive for about 2 weeks just keeping them in the livewell in the fall. As long as it's cold, they'll be fine. I do the same with emeralds in the winter. I've got a little 10L fish tank and aerator I keep in the garage for the left overs. No point in buying emeralds every single time you go fishing if you've got dozens left over after a day of fishing.

It's all about the temp. As long as it's cold, they'll be fine. I do the same with emeralds in the winter. I've got a little 10L fish tank and aerator I keep in the garage for the left overs. No point in buying emeralds every single time you go fishing if you've got dozens left over after a day of fishing.

I did the same with a 30 galon tank :whistling:

I did get rid of it and might get a small tank again this year. :unsure:

Been years since I bothered with minnows. But when I did I had two 5 gallon white buckets. Filled them both with water and kept them in the cold cellar 90% of the time. For fall fishing once the weather cooled I would sometimes just leave the buckets in the garage. I let the water sit for a week before I put minnows in them. I also had two 2 litre juice bottles full of water and frozen to use as ice packs.

The minnows would go in one bucket with one of the ice packs. The pack would last at least a couple of days depending on the air temperature. As soon as the ice pack thaws out throw it back in the freezer and put in the other one. This will keep your water cold...a MUST for shiners.

Once a week switch the minnows into the other bucket of fresh water. Keep switching your water buckets once a week and keep the water cold with the ice packs. I also bought goldfish food and once a week sprinkled a little in the pail. Go easy though..they really don't eat very much. The food is not necessary if you are gonna use the minnows up with a couple of weeks...it is more of a long term keeping requirement. During winter ice fishing I used to net my own minnows in the fall and this method would keep me in minnows all winter. I never had to buy any.

Edit to add. Check them everyday and get the dead ones out ASAP.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Davey,

If you buy them Friday and the store puts oxygen in the bag then you can just put the whole bag in your fridge. They will often last 3-4 days like this. Once you open the bag then you need an aerator. On the ice we drill a hole a few inches into the ice (not right through and place the open bag in the hole to keep them cold.

We leave our huts on the lake so we use a Minnow Motel which goes down under the ice and lets the minnows stay alive for weeks.

If you want to pick up minnows from the bait store and keep them overnight the easiest/best thing to do is leave them in the sealed and oxygen filled bag. Keep them cool...the garage if it's cold but not freezing, the fridge otherwise. They'll be fine for a day or two. If you plan on keeping them longer than that (or once you've opened the bag) you'll need a larger volume of water and some form of aeration (air pump) or agitation (water circulator). A five gallon bucket is OK but one of those blue "Roughneck" totes by Rubbermaid is better. The surface area of water exposed to the air is more important than the actual volume. Once the water gets cloudy, do a 50% change with water of the same temperature.

Depending on the particulars of your municipality's water (pH and chlorine/chloramine levels) you might need a neutralizing agent such a "Prime"...it's available from pet stores. One capful treats 50 gallons so it's very cheap. Prime provides other benefits (detoxification of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) too. Otherwise fill a bucket/tub with city water and let it sit for 24 hours...most of the chlorine/chloramine will evaporate.

Keep them as cool as possible. It's OK if the water begins to freeze as long as it doesn't freeze solid. I forgot my minnows outside of the hut one night and by morning around 90% of the water in the bucket was frozen. I brought it in, put it close (not too close) to the stove and ended up not losing a single minnow.

Keeping minnows alive in the winter is not nearly as hard as doing so in the summer. The warmer the water the faster they respire and the sooner they deplete the available oxygen.

I use a double line aquarium air pump I bought at Big Al's, 1 hose in each 5 gallon pail. When I travel, I plug it in my power box that you use to boost your car.

Home air pumps are quieter. For your boat you need a inverter for your lighter socket,or take your booster box.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm thinking a scoop or two,depending on the amount,and who's going. Keep the bag closed for the first night in the fridge. After Saturday,if any left for Sunday,than use the lake water from Saturday. Get home,drop a frozen juice container, with home air pump for the night. Any left Sunday after fishing,free handout. Not sure every weekend I'll be out,but will work out OK I think. Thanks again guys!!!! day.

The troll bucket might be best for the second

Edited by davey buoy

Just thinking the other day,if I was to pick minnows or shiners up after work on a Friday. What is the best way to keep them alive overnight ,or for the remainder of the weekend?. Keep in mind early morning start,sometimes before the bait stores open. Is the bucket with the air pump the best?,or is there other options to keep them lively?.

How many you planning on keepin and for how long? I've been experimenting with keeping emeralds. All I can say is they're uber fragile. They're sensitive to sudden drops in temperature, over crowding and water quality.

A filter keeps the water from freezing but fish that are kept on the fin weaken and go belly up when the water gets below freezing.

A bubbler is the best option. Fill a tank with tap water and let the water sit for a coupla days in order for the chlorine to dissipate. Your ppm has to be at zero for emeralds. They're that sensitive.

Hope that helps.

cheers

HD