Keeping minnows and shiners alive

davey buoy

an aquarium in the basement (usually cooler with minimal temp changes) is the easiest option overall. once your biological filter is setup and the algae eaters start growing it's nearly maintenance free. i use a homemade filter made with a small pond pump and small plastic garbage can filled with sponges and scrubby pads that keeps the 30 gallon tank crystal clear. bread crumbs work great for food.

the aquarium and lights were free off kijiji and everything else was under $40.

an aquarium in the basement (usually cooler with minimal temp changes) is the easiest option overall. once your biological filter is setup and the algae eaters start growing it's nearly maintenance free. i use a homemade filter made with a small pond pump and small plastic garbage can filled with sponges and scrubby pads that keeps the 30 gallon tank crystal clear. bread crumbs work great for food.

the aquarium and lights were free off kijiji and everything else was under $40.

The coolest the basement would get would be around 60 degrees give or take. That would be cold enough? I have 2-10 gallon tanks and 1-5 gallon. Most of the other replies are talking ice packs/cold water?.

Just thinking the other day,if I was to pick minnows or shiners up after work on a Friday. What is the best way to keep them alive overnight ,or for the remainder of the weekend?. Keep in mind early morning start,sometimes before the bait stores open. Is the bucket with the air pump the best?,or is there other options to keep them lively?.

As others have mentioned, keeping them cold works better than aeration alone. In combination, the minnows will last a week, even longer if you feed them and change the water. Treat the bucket like an aquarium in your fridge lol

If they happen to die, add a half cup of salt to a ziploc bag, insert minnows and freeze. Works almost as good as live.

As others have mentioned, keeping them cold works better than aeration alone. In combination, the minnows will last a week, even longer if you feed them and change the water. Treat the bucket like an aquarium in your fridge lol

If they happen to die, add a half cup of salt to a ziploc bag, insert minnows and freeze. Works almost as good as live.

Really,good to know!!!

No need to freeze SALTED minnows.... :) ..the fridge is much better...

The coolest the basement would get would be around 60 degrees give or take. That would be cold enough? I have 2-10 gallon tanks and 1-5 gallon. Most of the other replies are talking ice packs/cold water?.

I don't think 60 is cold enough, mine go out in a big old Mcdonalds drink cooler at about 40 degrees in the garage. Even then, every other day I switch about 1/2 the water and add new from the sandpoint.

Once frozen and thawed....they get mushy

No they don't

I freeze mine and have for years. Works great. To each their own.

Yep... I do the same... I use coarse pickling salt and literally cover them

They don't get soggy when they thaw out Rich?

No they don't Davey... been doing this for years, they stay firm when thawed.

Read here :

Salties

Edited by TroutJunkie

yes, most of the other replies speak of ice packs and cold water. but, considering i had over a couple dozen emerald shiners in my 30 gallon tank from last winter up until october, i'll let you decide who's right. :good: you'll probably want a bigger tank as the temperature changes will be less significant, you can hold more fish, and a larger tank is easier to keep/maintain.

it's much easier keeping minnows alive after you've kept aquariums for a while and understand the basics of keeping fish.

if you've done everything properly the ONLY type of minnow that's mushy when thawed are the ones that were mushy before hitting the freezer (ie. the beginning of catfish bait) :canadian:

Edited by ch312

They don't get soggy when they thaw out Rich?

No.. Ive been doing it forever. I re-freeze them constantly in the fall.. I use a ton of salt. There is still a rotting process before the salt sets in and freezing helps slow the process. In the fridge they get stinky.

No.. Ive been doing it forever. I re-freeze them constantly in the fall.. I use a ton of salt. There is still a rotting process before the salt sets in and freezing helps slow the process. In the fridge they get stinky.

I'm definitely going to try that this season.