question for the hunters

tb4me

For field dressing I use a fixed blade buck knife.

This one.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/547860783_1/OEM-Buck-Knife-Special-Rubber-Hand-Stainless-Steel-Blade-Full-Length-20-5cm-Hand-Tools.jpg

Good grip with slippery hands. I prefer a fixed blade myself.

No worries about getting cut while closing the blade with bunged up hands, or with rubber gloves on.

Edited by N.A.W

Also prefer a small blade for the job. The one I use is a foldng knife with a second blade that has a gut hook. I am a big fan of the gut hook since I started using them about 10 years ago.

As with most quality pieces of equipment, you get what you pay for. A quality knife will keep it's edge longer and properly taken care of can last you a lifetime.

I have an older folding jack knife, locking blade, about the length of my index finger, I use this for 90% of my work, easy to handle

and a full shank knife on my belt, use this for skinning and general purpose things...keep my little knife razor sharp

I also carry a folding saw in my pack

buck 110 folding knife and a butt out for me. :thumbsup_anim:

field dressing a deer can be done with a razor blade, 2" pocket knife, fillet knife, or a machete etc and doesn't require any specialized tools. my point being pick whatever knife you like that fits your budget. ;)

be careful when field dressing deer as i'm sure i'm not the only one here that has seen or heard of someone cutting themselves while gutting a deer without realizing it...

I don't have any experience with dressing a deer but I do know a good bit about knives. One of my favourite production brands is Bark River. Their website sucks tho, best bet is here: http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-knives.html

My personal favourites are the Canadian Special and Lil Canadian.

I should add that I make my own knives now from O1 tool steel.

For field dressing I use a fixed blade buck knife.

This one.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/547860783_1/OEM-Buck-Knife-Special-Rubber-Hand-Stainless-Steel-Blade-Full-Length-20-5cm-Hand-Tools.jpg

Good grip with slippery hands. I prefer a fixed blade myself.

No worries about getting cut while closing the blade with bunged up hands, or with rubber gloves on.

I bought this exact knife 2 days ago. Seems very nice. It's on sale at TSC for 29.99, regularly 39.99. Seems a very good value, I read a bunch of reviews and comparisons before I bought it; comes highly recomended. I think a fixed blade is probably the way to go in any case.

Snap off exacto knife has field dressed and skinned a number of deer from our camp. Always sharp and the hairs don't dull up my good knife. Plus its nice and light to carry around.Once the hide is off I switch to a real hunting knife to do the butchering.

I also like these razor blades for field dressing. Especially orange colored ones to find in the leaves. Buy a new one every year.

Snap off exacto knife has field dressed and skinned a number of deer from our camp. Always sharp and the hairs don't dull up my good knife. Plus its nice and light to carry around.Once the hide is off I switch to a real hunting knife to do the butchering.

There goes TRADITION. :D

I think I just like the fixed blade knives because I carry it on my belt and it looks bad ass.. lol I Like something with a bit of length for the rear end and with only an edge on one side so when Im blind inside I come out with all my fingers.

Ok Thanks guys! I was thinking the swing blade knife cause of its orange rubber handle, 1 so it doesn't disappear in the leaves and 2 if and when I do go bear hunting...They can be very greasy when field dressing them....

This post should have been tagged NF, nf, or Non Fishing as to not upset some of our more sensitive members.....the thought of sharp knives can really upset some people and make them think of red gook or slimy stuff....:sarcasm:

MEH, if they cant figure out its a non fishing thread by the title then I shouldnt have ot expalin it...lol seems kinda useless dont ya think???? :wallbash: