OOPS

Acountdeleted

I know buick14 is going to rip into me tomorrow at work for this but I bought a Clam Nanook ice fishing hut over the weekend much to my joy. Can't wait to get out to do some serious ice fishing all over Ontario this winter.

The box was too big to fit in my car, it fit in the trunk but the space where the chairs fold down into the back seat is much smaller then the actual trunk (not sure why they do this). So on to the roof it goes.... my kayak goes up there anyways and has already scratched the roof beyond belief so thats no real problem there.

Got the hut home and put it together, was marveling over it, was tempted to even sleep in it and was showing it off to my dad when he says 'Thats great son. Now how are you going to get it to the lake?' I told him I was going to strap it to the roof again and he says 'Over the seats and the frame? It might not last very long if you do that.'

So has anyone had to strap a fold over ice fishing hut to the roof of their car before? Any tips or tricks so that I don't destroy the seats or the outter frame on my first trip? I'm really hoping that over this winter I might be able to get this back up to fushimi or Thunder Bay but I'm not so sure now.

Any advice greatly apreciated.

Jeremy

"IF" You get it to the Lake How are Ya gonna get it out there?

Rick

If he doesn't have a quad or sled he's goona have to build a Smitty sled in order to be able to get it out there. Google Smitty sled for more info.

I tried hauling my Trekker II by hand once (there was two of us) through 8"-12" of snow. We hauled it about 1/2km to where we wanted to fish. It was freaking exhausting!!!!

I do those tough mudder obstacle courses in the summer. Belive it or not I'm actually looking forward to the workout of pulling the hut across the ice (no this is not an invitation for me to pull yours as well).

I have a few ideas I think I can try. I really like the idea of the big hockey canvas bag too. A little bit of experimentation and a trip to Home Depot this weekend and I should be up and running.......... I hope.

Hey Joey Exactly!

In the right conditions its doable. If your travel from Parking to Lake and Shore to the Spot and you do not do a lot of moving it will work.

However, For a walker who likes to be mobile,in most conditions, a smaller Clam, the Pro or Scout or a pop up works the best.

Rick

if you're not worried about scratching up the roof, just ratchet strap to the roof, interfers with head space and will drop water through the door seal if it's raining but it works just fine

for the price of a utility trailer you could get a good roof rack and save a few bucks

if you're not worried about scratching up the roof, just ratchet strap to the roof, interfers with head space and will drop water through the door seal if it's raining but it works just fine

for the price of a utility trailer you could get a good roof rack and save a few bucks

The roof is already pretty scratched due to my kayak over the summer so its not a big concern. I was more concerned with putting pressure on the poles for the hut. Buick14 recomended turning the hut upside down and having the rachet strap pressure on the bottom of the hut. I think this might work best (I do have the cover that goes with it)