Luongo a Leaf?????

Stoty

Oh boy.... I bet this thread gets "interesting" quick quickly!

Sportsnet Link

So there we were Wednesday night on Hockey Central, Jeff Marek, Nick Kypreos, John Garrett and I discussing the merits of Patrick Roy versus Martin Brodeur. And then the topic of what the Vancouver Canucks are going to do in goal when the NHL returns came up.

To the shock of many, I blurted out that the Roberto Luongo-to-Toronto Maple Leafs deal “was done.”

As with anything said on TV, the Twittersphere exploded for 36 hours with Leafs and Canucks fans wanting to know my source, who was involved, how the two teams could talk during a lockout -- all legitimate questions for a deal of such magnitude.

Obviously, neither team confirmed my story, nor should they. Quite frankly, without a CBA in place, trades can’t occur, and team officials publicly discussing any player transactions would result in some sort fine from New York.

However, I have been told that the next time Roberto Luongo plays in the NHL, he will play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It is from a reputable source. End of story.

I do not know who or what he will be traded for, and believe it or not, I don’t think general managers Mike Gillis and Brian Burke know either. The rules of any new collective bargaining agreement will dictate the actual transaction.

Common sense, which seems to be in great shortage these days, puts Luongo in Toronto for a few key reasons.

The Leafs can handle his salary, and there is a huge need in Toronto for a veteran goaltender. The Leafs organization is very familiar with Luongo’s talent, ability and personality. It is an excellent fit.

As I have said all along, the deal in place is all contingent on what the new CBA says.

John Shannon is an analyst on Hockeycentral.

You heard it here first. If Luongo plays for the leafs, the leafs make the playoffs in year 1. He won't win them a cup, but he will get them in the playoffs.

Then out first round....that's how Bobby Lu rolls, no? :whistling:

If he thought the media and fans were tough in Vancouver, haha, he's going to get eaten alive as a Leaf. I've always been a fan of Luongo since his junior days, but just don't think he's clutch. I personally wouldn't like the acquisition if it happens.

There are four things more likely to happen in the world of sport before the Leafs win another Stanley Cup:

1) Soccer fans will be collectively awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

2) Cleveland will erect a statue honouring Art Modell

3) The Washington Generals will be crowned NBA champions

4) Brooklyn will declare a Walter O'Malley appreciation day

x2 :wallbash:

x3

he didn't go well on the solid Vancouver team, he would do alot worse with 40 plus shots a night, 15 of those shots being high quality chances, in Toronto

I'm a Leaf fan, but they have to stop going after guys like that, we've seen it too many times before, The Oilers are doing it right, draft and rebuild with young talent

if we get Luongo, it will set us back huge, I hope this is just a bad rumour

Luongo is done like dinner so it would make perfect sense for the Laffs to trade for him.laugh.gif

Hey Burkie, got another brutal trade left in ya? I think so!!!rofl2.gif

brutal trade? care to give an example?

i for one dont think luongo is done. Cujo and Belfour did pretty well as Leafs when they were "Past their prime"

and there are a million other goaltenders who just got better as they got older. Hasek, Brodeur, Osgood, tim thomas, etc.

love all the Burke haters here. He is building the team the right way.

Beauchemin for Lupul & Gardiner is one of the greatest trades ive seen.

Edited by Boss

x3

he didn't go well on the solid Vancouver team, he would do alot worse with 40 plus shots a night, 15 of those shots being high quality chances, in Toronto

I'm a Leaf fan, but they have to stop going after guys like that, we've seen it too many times before, The Oilers are doing it right, draft and rebuild with young talent

if we get Luongo, it will set us back huge, I hope this is just a bad rumour

X4 :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: