We did our good deed last week. UPDATE!

fishnsled

Last Friday I was leaving work and noticed a few co-workers standing out by the road. I went over to see what was going on and as I approached then I noticed this beautiful hawk that was sitting on the planter box. It had been there for a couple of hours already and was obviously injured and unable to fly (broken wing we suspect.) My co-workers had made several calls to the usual animal control places who said they were sending someone out but had not seen anyone as of yet.

A few more calls and we got through to a wildlife centre. They said if we caught it they would take it in the morning. After some instructions on how to capture it, myself and a co-worker and a passerby put the plan into action. Not surprising that the bird wasn't too interested in our plan. After about 10 minutes chasing the bird around and keeping it away from traffic, we got it and put it in it's temporary home for the night. No more harm to the bird or to us.

Our fledgling was in good health when taken in. It was going for x-rays to see what was the problem and would be accessed after that point to decided what the next step would be. They felt quite strongly that a full recovery would be possible and would update us with the progress as time goes on. Will keep you posted.

Here's a pic of our feathered friend before we had our plan in place, just a beautiful bird. Not my picture hence the copyright.

2012_10_05_IMG_0125Copy.jpg

Edited by fishnsled

Well done Will!

I had a similar experience a number of years ago when I worked on Bay street, right in the core. I was leaving the building to grab some lunch and I noticed a gafuffal on the sidewalk... it was a baby falcon that had fallen from it's nest atop our building and unable to fly. I contacted building security, who in turn called the group responsible for "planting" the birds atop our tower. They asked us to box the bird, which we did and they arrived shortly after to "replant" the bird on the roof.

I hope that bird is still doing it's best to keep Toronto's pigeon population under control!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Right on Will. My buddy found a snowy owl once with a broken wing. I wished he'd shown it the same kindness... although we were in no part of the world to easily get it Xray'd and checked into a bird sanctuary.

Used to always see a redtail above the Hancock Rapids travelling on the Moose River in autumn. Love the birds of prey man! Cool what ya did!

Well done Will.

My son and I experienced a battle between two loons,many years ago.Fighting over a female (go figure) :whistling: Once the battle was over,one of them ended up with a broken wing.Once the other combatant left,we were able to get him in the canoe and to shore.Made a call,and they came and took him back to patch him up.

Well done Will!

I had a similar experience a number of years ago when I worked on Bay street, right in the core. I was leaving the building to grab some lunch and I noticed a gafuffal on the sidewalk... it was a baby falcon that had fallen from it's nest atop our building and unable to fly. I contacted building security, who in turn called the group responsible for "planting" the birds atop our tower. They asked us to box the bird, which we did and they arrived shortly after to "replant" the bird on the roof.

I hope that bird is still doing it's best to keep Toronto's pigeon population under control!

HH

HH, we had the same birds at Yonge and Eglinton on the CT building (I was across from them; CCMT and my daughters worked there). They would come over to our building "for lunch" usually pigeon wings is what they left behind. lol. They were amazing to look at. I had one sit across from me on the railing at 10 pm.

There are a few nesting areas in the GTA.

Good stuff Brian!!

That's very cool Will! So if no one claims the bird after its healthy, can you bring it home? Lol.

As cool as that would be Cliff, the answer is no. lol! Although when I was a wee lad we did have a hawk as a pet for a few days. Bird got away from it's owner so we took care of it until we found them. It was very cool and a big hit with my friends at the time.

Great pic! (Tell the guy who took the pic that there's copyright in the EXIF data, no need to ruin a pic)

I believe he is well aware of that Bill. Just something extra he wanted, not sure why.

Well done! They are awesome birds! I'm sure the catch would've been tricky!

The catch was a bit tricky because the bird could still move around quite well considering the damaged wing. Pretty impressive actually, I'm guessing it's just the survival instinct that kicks in.

Edited by fishnsled

Good work bud.

My good deed for the week:

Went hiking in the woods, with the kids, to check out the fall colors and I heard cries for help. Turns out a woman had tripped and fallen down to the banks of a creek. She had broken her ankle. Carried her up to the banks and then called 911.

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9531-001.jpg

Good work bud.

My good deed for the week:

Went hiking in the woods, with the kids, to check out the fall colors and I heard cries for help. Turns out a woman had tripped and fallen down to the banks of a creek. She had broken her ankle. Carried her up to the banks and then called 911.

That is an AWESOME deed!! Great to hear the stories of others jumping in when the time arises. I'm pretty sure that any OFCer would do any of the good deeds that others have mentioned and others that have not been. A good bunch of people here despite the occasional hockey, musky or rainbow debate. :D

That is an AWESOME deed!! Great to hear the stories of others jumping in when the time arises. I'm pretty sure that any OFCer would do any of the good deeds that others have mentioned and others that have not been. A good bunch of people here despite the occasional hockey, musky or rainbow debate. :D

and walleye/pickeral debate :whistling:

I always have bird feeders and a few years back when I was living in the city we'd get the odd pigeon in the yard. I looked out the window one day and there was a patch of blood on the snow and a pair of wings and nothing else.

I lived close to the Don Valley and there were always hawks around so I assume one had an easy meal when it became available.

• 1 month later...

Just received this update and "Harry" is doing fine.

Everyone,

Everyone who was either aware of or associated with the Red Tail Hawk recovery story has been asking me if there has been any news regarding “Harry”. As of Friday of last week, here is the latest.

I’m very happy to report that the TWC (Toronto Wildlife Center) finally contacted me on Friday to give me an update on our little raptor friend. Apparently, he/she (we’re still not sure), had a broken coracoid bone. Essentially, this is the equivalent in birds of a collar bone in humans. This is a bone essential for flight. The break was not too severe and was reset without any issues.

Harry was kept in cage isolation which allowed the bone to heal and as of Friday, he/she was given a clean bill of health and was slated for release this (last) weekend. The people at the TWC felt that he (Harry) had already “messed up” once by slumming around the city, they wanted to give him/her the best chance of survival success so they opted to release him/her about 30 miles west of Toronto by the Escarpment near Milton. The TWC were very grateful for our collective efforts. They told me that we did everything right which greatly helped to secure the survival, recovery and rehabilitation of our little feathered friend.

One last note, the Toronto Wildlife Center is a completely NON-funded volunteer agency. They receive no money whatsoever from government and rely strictly on donations and volunteers. These people do really good work, more than any of you can imagine. So if it’s within your hearts and means, any contributions to their cause would be greatly appreciated, I’m sure. Their website will fill in the details…. http://www.torontowildlifecentre.com/

Please pass this email along as you wish, and once again, thank you to everyone.

Cheers,

Too bad I couldn't be there for the release but certainly nice to know that we did the right thing. B)