Erie Tributary Pinks

Rich

I've lived here 15 years and heard tales of the pink salmon run the whole time, but never seemed to catch it. Me and my girlfriend were driving around aimlessly a few days ago and I had the idea, let's go check for salmon activity at all the local tribs.

The first 4 spots were motionless. We fished them, a little. Not even the finest offerings of a beautiful live nightcrawler could tempt much but some suckers. The final spot, was like heaven for me. I got to my spot which is right at the mouth of the creek pretty well going into the lake. The lake was real rough so I had to go slightly upstream to check, sure enough, the pinks were running. Very beautiful fish in the water, you don't even see that they have a hump on their back.

All I had was a Mepps Musky killer for spinners, I don't salmon fish much. And all I had was a 6'6 baitcaster (bass rod) spooled with 15lb mono. Figure I'll try it, and the hoardes of unsuccessful snaggers upstream dropped their jaws when I hooked and landed 5 in a row, that absolutely smashed my spinner on the surface.

These fish were exciting when they bit, but all I can say is I was well able to handle them just fine with my bass rod. Thank goodness I didn't run into a school of spinner-hungry kings, I'm sure I would have been spooled. The pinks were great. Fight similar to a big pike. Everybody tells me (even the snaggers... why are they snagging?!) the pinks around here are worthless for eating. So I released each and every one.

Was awesome to finally experience the pink salmon run. Which according to stories, sorry folks the run lasts about 5 days. The bows, browns and chinooks (which are considerably smaller and fewer than lake O) will be up soon. Can't wait.

DSCF6785_zps9fb317aa.jpg

DSCF6789_zps4a37a39d.jpg

DSCF6788_zps4bd5819c.jpg

And to tickle the trib bug's taste buds, I was at another local trib last week with a live worm on a hook, low and behold I got a little male brown. Thought at first must be a resident fish but it had a kype jaw... I have resident browns in my backyard and have never seen such a pronounced kype in similar sized fish.

DSCF6779_zps02b10e59.jpg

DSCF6780_zpsfaae0145.jpg

I think they still spawn every year, but as brian says, switch tribs every 4 years (so ive heard) but last year i talked to a guy who showed me pics from this particular trib of a similar morning he had in the same spot. So maybe theres a year or two more of a short pink run to come!

Man, that is a big'un :clapping: Young's used to get quite a run of them when I frequented that area back in the late 80's, they would really getted stacked up in the santuary area marked by the wire below the culvert down at the mouth. Is there even still a sanctuary there and a wire? There was the occasional lake run brown back then too. The male pinks are pretty aggressive on small spinners the females were a tough catch.

Seeing your fish bring back many pleasant memories of catching pinks on a few Erie Tribs. Like you we never kept any , but enjoyed the challenge. We always thought they ran every other year, but we didn't always time it right. Congratulations on your catch and thanks for the memories.

Awesome Catch! Those are beautiful fish. I never knew there were pinks here...nice browns as well..

And you did this as on a whim hit a tributary..And got rewarded.... Awesome report !

I also despise people who snag fish, I wish i was an MNR Officer....Hmmm maybe ill apply part-time....

Good Job Dude!

Edited by Topwater Strikes