Lake Ontario just keeps givin'

fishnsled

It had been a while since I had a chance to hit the water with my buddy Ken. After receiving permission from his better half, the plan was for him and one of his sons to join me for some Lake O fishing. Ken shows up bright and earlier but no kid. Came down with some flu like symptoms during the night and was best to leave him at home. (Thought of calling you Geoff but wasn't sure how the 5:30am phone call would have been received.) We get launched and made the run out and lines are all down by 7am. Quite a cool start to the day, even had the float jacket on for the run out.

Didn't take too long and the first fish is on. Ken is have a great battle with a decent coho of about 10 pounds. In the boat, a quick pick on his cell phone and released. High 5's as it was Ken's first coho! Looking at the picture on his phone and some how he deletes the pic. :whistling: At least I didn't do it. :D With the lines all set up again it wasn't long and another fish was on. I was up and brought in a bow about 3 pounds and released at boat side. Ken's turn again and this time I took the pic with my camera, another coho for Ken.

P1000911.jpg

The action remained steady for the next couple of hours and some great acrobatics from the salmon and trout.

P1000913.jpg

While going to net this fish for Ken, his biggest bow, another rod goes off. The first thought is that Ken can net his own damn fish and I'll get us a double header. I ended up netting the fish for Ken and just as I went to grab the other rod, the line went slack. Oh well. A pic and back into the lake to be caught another day.

P1000914.jpg

A few more smaller fish were caught and this decent one by Ken.

P1000915.jpg

It warmed up quite nicely and we ended up going 9 for 12 for the day and had a blast. (All fish successfully released.) With the conditions and fishing as they were, you couldn't ask for a better day. B)

Edited by fishnsled

Good shooting :thumbsup_anim:

The first 2 pics I'd say are both Chinook, the darker smaller fish will head upriver very soon to spawn , the silver one will spend another year in the lake and spawn next year.

Thanks! I thought the same when I first saw the first fish but both had lighter mouths with dark outer gums but light on the inside. The second fish seem to have a wide caudal peduncle as well which I thought was more evident with cohos. I'm still new to this game and will figure it out eventually. Ken shouldn't be to disappointed to find out it was a Chinny.

Looks like we both need to go to school Joey. :)

Such an amazing fishery... we take it for granted...

Or just plain ignore it. My brother has been bugging me for years to fish the Lake O. I finally bought a few spoons and dipsey divers and let them sit for a couple of years. Finally a couple of years ago I made a trip out there and had a great time, last year I went twice. This year since the beginning of July I've been out there almost every weekend. Sometimes both days and sometimes a morning shift followed by an evening shift. I am addicted. Been looking at downriggers and a bigger boat. LOL!

Looks like a great time Will.

Nice fish!

Thanks Bernie! It was a great time.

Pictures can be deceiving however, Cohos "generally" only have spots on the upper half of the tail, clearly not the first and second picture...they're Chinook.

Third and fourth picture, look at the adipose, which is the only fish to have a black rimmed adipose? Which is the only fish to have the tail spots in exact radiating rows. Third pic, what is the gum colour?

Edited by Fisherman

Pictures can be deceiving however, Cohos "generally" only have spots on the upper half of the tail, clearly not the first and second picture...they're Chinook.

Third and fourth picture, look at the adipose, which is the only fish to have a black rimmed adipose? Which is the only fish to have the tail spots in exact radiating rows. Third pic, what is the gum colour?

Thanks for the lesson. :good: Gum colour was white in the 3rd pic.

Some nice fish :) Lake Ontario is such a great fishery and so close for many that don't even fish it. Nothing like a nice king pulling drag or an acrobatic steelhead on lighter tackle :) Good shooting!

I was amazed at the jumps those salmon did as well! That one with it's spawning coat on was all over the place with it's jumping around. A fun fish for Ken to fight.

Awesome day Will! Oh and thanks for the fish by fish text messages...like I wasn't already jealous you were out and I was at home! Lol

Looks like a windy weekend...muskie hunting time? Lol.

You're welcome. Yea...I guess it will be musky fishing. :(:D

Well done buddy! I am freakin jealous! Nice pics too... and don't worry too much about identifying those fish... aren't they all just different varieties of spotted carp? LMAO!

HH

LMAO!!

It would seem riggers are not required for you Will, nicely done! thumbsup_anim.gif

I'm starting to believe that myself and save the money for boat gas. :D

This is as usual, very impressive Will .

rubin

Hey Rubin!! Welcome to the board!! Now introduce yourself to everyone. ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone and I'll see you in school Joey. :lol:

Cheers.