fluorocarbon leader

Cloudy15

I wonder why 10 lb flouro for a leader? It's stronger than your main line, but not strong enough to fend off toothy critters. If you believe that you need it for decreased visibility (don't get me started on flouro and invisibility), going with 10 lb over 6 or 8 lb seems to defeat that purpose, while making knot tying more difficult.

I don't understand the angst over a uni-uni connection. It's easy to tie - it can be done in about a minute - and I have never broken off a well-tied uni-uni. Next best is a triple surgeons knot, which is even easier to tie, and just slightly less reliable. Lots of big, hard fighting fish have been landed on triple surgeon knots on fly gear.

Singingdog, I will use fluorocarbon leaders heavier than main line when I fish jerk baits to reduce the chances of the bait over-running the line and getting fouled.

Same thing for some topwater baits and a heavy mono leader.

Thanks. I've never had that problem with jerkbaits, but have with WTD topwaters. I'll try it.

one knot i havent seen mentioned that is very handy when tying different diameter lines is the slim beauty. its a salwater knot and I find it is not too hard to tie and works great for tying on heavy flouro leaders. give it a try, better than uni to uni imo.

Let me be the party pooper.

I don't think your knot had any problem, you just skimped out the coin on FC line. I think Stren Fluorocast is TERRIBLE. I had 17# and it broke in all sorts of weird ways that I couldn't explain. You also can't go wrong with any of the knots that the others told you above.

With FC, I find the ratio for money : performance is key. IMO, if you're not paying close to 20 bucks (or more) for a spool of FC, you won't get good quality. Maybe someone can prove me wrong, but I'll stick with what I have now and not complain about mysterious breaks.

You should take a look at a video series online called "Knot War". It pegs knot against knot in terms of break strength in various situations from terminal tackle connection to joining braid to leader. In their comparison of the uni to uni against modified albright in 2010, the modified albright won by an amazing 2.5lbs in break strength on 15lbs fluoro. (the uni broke at 10.5lbs and the m-albright at 13lbs)

They even have animations to teach you how to tie the knots. There is also a sebile knot out there that is suppose to have 100% breakstrength on leader to braid connection. Take a look and decide which knot is for you. Its a fine balance between what is easier to tie and the knot strength. I've been using the mod albright for the last few years(with a drop of superglue) and have not had a single knot failure even on fresh pier chinnies up to 30lbs but I am always looking for better knots.

I was on one line's web site and it mentioned the importance of wetting the line before finishing knots (not new to most) but also mentioned using chapstik as an option. Personally I don't think I'm likely to do that on the water but I'll definitely do that the next time I'm pre-tying leaders at home.

To the OP, it may have something to do with the fact that Stren Fluorocast is TERRIBLE. I've never used such a brittle, terrible casting line in my life.

Err havnt actually used that line yet, just grabbed it. Only planned on using it for leaders. Sounds like it was a poor choice.

for the albirght does it matter if your collies are loose? in the demo's i saw they used rope and collied it very tight before cinching??

Err havnt actually used that line yet, just grabbed it. Only planned on using it for leaders. Sounds like it was a poor choice.

for the albirght does it matter if your collies are loose? in the demo's i saw they used rope and collied it very tight before cinching??

Best to keep it "tidy" and draw it closed slowly and uniformly as you tighten it.

Funny, sometimes I used the improved with overlapping coils, but when I tie the regular Albright, I'm careful that they don't.... :dunno: