NHL Hockey

glen

Will there be hockey this year  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be hockey this year

• Yes hockey will start at normal opener
    • Yes hockey will start part way though the season
    • No hockey this year

I'll be doing the exact same thing in another 35 years (hopefully less!) I don't trust that I'll ever see those CPP deductions ever again.

I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with being unionized...unless you're admitting you weren't worth the $$ all along :P

I hope that you're putting $300.00 a week away to realize what I already have done. That's a mortgage payment Bud. I never had to worry about it. It was paid above my weekly wages and not a deduction to my wages. That,s called a fully funded pension. You have 35 years to go? Good luck. I love how kids these days have everything figured out when they're so young. Get back to me in 35 years and let me know how it went. :rofl2:

If that's the case Dan, why did you belong to the union if it did nothing for you? You could have made more money solo, no?

Maybe I could have. But I've seen the time and stress that owning a business has put on my employers. A union working wage is enough for me. I'm not into the making more money thing. Just paying my bills and having some extra cash to do a few other things is good enough for me. This summer alone I went to a huge country music festival in Minnesota, went on a fly in fishing trip, and next month I'm going to Kansas City for a NASCAR race. Throw in a couple of fishing trips to Lake Nipigon. That's enough fun for me in a year. Oh. And I'm retiring at age 58 in a few years too. Tell me. What were the highlights of your year?

I worked and worked and worked mon-fri, some stuff on the side, and fished a few times because I'm just a kid.

Again I am not sure what comparing activities has to do wih anything. Surely you don't wish to compare disposable income of a 30 year old and a 58 year old?

Im glad your years of work have paid off. When I'm 58 I'll write up my summer report, and if you're still on the shiny side of the dirt I will send it to ya! :)

Wow. You're 30? I would have guessed 22. So, at age 30, surely you have at least 15 grand per year pension built up by age 55? If not, you have some catching up to do. By the way. I'm only 54.

I don't have any savings.... I live for today /sarcasm.

Come on Dan, us kids aren't as stupid as some might believe.

But thanks for the compliment! I haven't been carded at the lcbo for at least 5 years, it was always a good day when that happened.

I always get carded at the Walmart in Cameron Missouri when I buy my beer on the way to the race. :thumbsup_anim:

Getting carded starts off as a bad thing, but ends up as a good thing with age.

Enough from me. Back to the greedy hockey union guys on this thread. Sorry guys.

1) The owners make WAYYYYYY more than the players

2) WE pay both the players & owners salaries

3) If your boss said he would pay you millions a year to work.... I'm guessing you wouldn't say no

4) Your employer wants to take 24% of your salary away.... what's your opinion then?!

1) just like every other business, that's how it's supposed to be???

2) yes, this is why i said the NHL is nothing without money from fans.

3) who wouldn't?

4) he's the boss and it's his decision? as i've done before, i'd find a new job.

To answer the question about the CAW members:

If you're not happy with your job, your pay, your benefits. FIND ANOTHER JOB!!! They are not chained to the machines!!!!

Of course no one is happy to take a pay cut!!!! If I was faced with a pay cut I could accept it or find a new job. It's simple.

really? you mean the employee's aren't supposed to tell the boss what to do? :rolleyes:

I hope that you're putting $300.00 a week away to realize what I already have done. That's a mortgage payment Bud. I never had to worry about it. It was paid above my weekly wages and not a deduction to my wages. That,s called a fully funded pension. You have 35 years to go? Good luck. I love how kids these days have everything figured out when they're so young. Get back to me in 35 years and let me know how it went. :rofl2:

heh...i'm a "kid" that's mortgage free, i dislike unions, and i do have it figured out. you know what's more annoying than young people that think they have it figured out? old people that think younger people can't have it figured out before they did :whistling:;):D

money is good for two thing's. buying new toys and causing arguments :lol:

In a system the owners claim does not work and must be fixed, again, this is what they have done when they didn't have to do a thing and if they get the deal they, or the players, proposed they would save more money.

The league’s 30 teams have handed out contracts worth $1.67 billion to 179 players since July 1, 2012.

Fehr has a pretty hefty resume that all points to there not being a rollback. He doesn't give back rights that were granted previously. If Fehr goes then there will be a rollback. but if Fehr is in, I doubt there will be. jmho... and yes the NHl will kill the whole season or more to get the rollback.

Well, looks like I'll be watching alot of football this year ( when I'm not out fishing).

I really wish that fans of the game would make the owners/league pay, by boycotting the NHL for some time.

Some of this is just rediculous IMO. Like the salaries being handed out beforehand as previously mentioned.

Bettman vs Fehr, not a battle I really wanna watch for the next year

For me its hard to feel sorry for either side,after the last lock out the cap was 32 million or so now it is 75 or so million seems like a pretty decent wage increase, how many here have had their wage increase 130 plus percent? And seems some players are quite willing to say no to the offer but are quite willing to play in the KHL for 65% of their NHL salary.

To bad there`s a lock out cause the Habs were ready to kick some :asshat::rofl2:

Well league revenue went from 2.2billion in 2003 to 3.3 billion last year. So an increase in salary cap seems logical. Especially given the players are the only reason people spend any money on the NHL at all. Personally I think the should just have a cap increase freeze until the revenue split is 50-50. Then increase the cap accordingly maintaining the 50-50 split.

That would mean no roll back. The Owners can start to increase there percentage of profit, and everyone goes back to playing hockey.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/analysis-the-most-unnecessary-lockout-of-them-all/article4548860/

"The NHL owners really aren't that stupid. They're just not afraid of the fans. They don't even respect them. In their eyes, the fans are simply ATMs with arms and legs. They came back last time, the owners believe, and they'll come back this time, once we've rooted through the players' pockets for every nickel."

Analysis: The most unnecessary lockout of them all

DAVID SHOALTS

The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Sep. 17 2012, 9:11 AM EDT

Last updated Monday, Sep. 17 2012, 10:57 AM EDT

Now that Gary Bettman and the NHL owners marked their irrelevant deadline by locking out the players on Saturday, all eyes turn to the next step.

Well, the league already took the next step with that ridiculous statement it issued following the lockout but more on that in a minute.

The really big next step, one that actually produces progress, is going to take some time. After all, the great deadline of Sept. 15 declared by the NHL commissioner only marked the expiry of the collective agreement, not the start of the season or even the start of training camps. No one in this mess will be inclined to get serious about labour negotiations until pay cheques and gate receipts are missed, which is almost four weeks away.

There is no reason for NHL Players' Association executive director Donald Fehr and the players to do anything right now. They know they have the moral high ground and are, for a change, winning the public relations battle. And the league is doing nothing except shooting itself in both feet right now with Sunday's statement as Exhibit A.

First of all, the NHL seems to be the only business in the world that thinks the expiry of a labour agreement means business must cease. This is the fourth time since 1992 the league ceased operations due to a labour dispute and it is the third time the owners locked out the players, all three of them coming on Gary Bettman's watch.

Where every other business carries on operations while a new labour agreement is being negotiated, with both labour and management rightly regarding a strike or lockout as the absolute last resort, Bettman and his chief labour strategist, outside counsel Bob Batterman, rush to lock the doors. As Ansar Khan of MichiganLive.com noted, the NHL has now lost 1,698 regular-season games due to labour disputes since 1992. That is more than Major League Baseball (938), the NBA (504) and the NFL (0) combined.

This is the most unnecessary lockout of them all. It is not about fighting for a new way of doing business like the last one. It is merely about how to slice up a billion-dollar pie.

Funny thing, though. You might think with all that practice Bettman and the owners would be a little smoother at trying to pull the wool over the fans' eyes. It was bad enough they spent the months leading up to the lockout bragging about record revenues in the seven years since the last lockout that saw the NHL grow from a $2.1-billion (all currency U.S.) business to a $3.3-billion one only to plead poverty a few days later. Not only that, one of the guys at the table demanding the players take a 24-per-cent pay cut because the salary cap system they demanded and won after an entire season was lost in 2004-05 is now not working, Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold, was fresh from signing two good but not great players to 13-year contracts worth $98-million each.

No, only these guys could compound that with the statement the league issued Sunday after it locked out the players: "This is a time of year for all attention to be focused on the ice, not on a meeting room. The league, the clubs and the players all have a stake in resolving our bargaining issues appropriately and getting the puck dropped as soon as possible. We owe it to each other, to the game and, most of all, to the fans."

Yes, that really was issued by the NHL public-relations department. It did not come from The Onion or any other satirical outlet.

No, the NHL owners really aren't that stupid. They're just not afraid of the fans. They don't even respect them. In their eyes, the fans are simply ATMs with arms and legs. They came back last time, the owners believe, and they'll come back this time, once we've rooted through the players' pockets for every nickel.

Yep I agree, they don't care, and they haven't learned. Nothing will change for any of the owners. I think 5 teams should just get cancelled 2 could be relocated to quebec and markham/hamilton/KW and be done with it.

Agreed!

Or simply move all 5 to Canada....but the tiny bodied, big-eared American that runs the league would never go for that, even though he would make A LOT MORE money if he did.

Screw the LOCKOUT.... Bettman needs to be KNOCKED OUT!

Not on strike.

That made the rounds 8 years ago and was incorrect then.

But since I make more then $20k I guess I can't have an opinion.

seeing as the players knew exactly what would happen if they wouldn't come to an agreement, half the blame goes on them. this is the thing that biased hockey fans are missing ;)

as for your last comment, clearly you missed the point of the pic...