NHL Hockey

glen

Will there be hockey this year  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be hockey this year

• Yes hockey will start at normal opener
    • Yes hockey will start part way though the season
    • No hockey this year

Knowing Bettman, and I loathe that little creature, there was no clause providing an extension past expiration for negotiating.... Just doesn't seem his style, you know?

And you'd be wrong.

Just looked up the contract on the net.

Players had the option to opt out on 15 Sep 2009 with proper notice. This they did not do.

Contract ended 15 Sep 2011 with the players having the option to extend it until 15 Sep 2012. This they did.

Contact remains in effect year to year thereafter unless either party delivers a written notice of termination with the proper notice. This the owners did.

It should be obvious who stopped the season.

See Article 3 - 2005 NHL/NHLPA Collective Agreement

Edited by Woodsman

So prior to and following the owners termination of the agreement, did they sit around doing nothing, or did they offer a new agreement which the players refused?

Owners can not offer an agreement. By definition an agreement is agreed upon by both sides.

Owners can forward a proposal for agreement or as in this case an ultimatum.

Bargaining in good faith is one thing. It's my way or the highway is completely something else.

As for us agreeing, I agree with you on that.

So prior to and following the owners termination of the agreement, did they sit around doing nothing, or did they offer a new agreement which the players refused?

At any time the players can vote to accept the new agreement and it is game on!

Neither of us will change each others mind on this matter, methinks.

They could vote to accept. But i think that most of them can survive the next little while without a cheque ;). But they do want to "work". Indeed, alot have already secured meaningful employment elsewhere. Also, if you pay any mind to some of the most productive workers, this "labour" stoppage may keep some of the best workers from returning at all.

Bottom line: 7 years ago Bettman and the owners IMPOSED a settlement, and now because it isn't working it's the fault of the players.

Makes perfect sense to me. :whistling:

And a correction to those who think that we pay the player's salaries: not one cent that we put into the turnstiles goes to the players, every penny goes to the owners. They then decide how much the players will get. Seems that they decide to pay them a lot, and then whine that they're paying them too much.

Snivelling money-grubbing crybabies.

Bottom line: 7 years ago Bettman and the owners IMPOSED a settlement, and now because it isn't working it's the fault of the players.

Makes perfect sense to me. :whistling:

And a correction to those who think that we pay the player's salaries: not one cent that we put into the turnstiles goes to the players, every penny goes to the owners. They then decide how much the players will get. Seems that they decide to pay them a lot, and then whine that they're paying them too much.

Snivelling money-grubbing crybabies.

What's not working? Overall the league owners are making a very good profit. Some franchises may not be making money but the blame should be on them for being in the wrong place with the wrong management strategy. Bettmans US strategy. I never could figure out how the southern US was a prime location in places without large numbers of Canadian or northern Americans living there at least seasonally.

As for the concept that we the fans are paying for the players salaries yes we are along with the owners profits.

Without the fans there would be no NHL.

We don't watch = no gate ,no television rights, no merchandise revenue, no sponsor revenue ect.

Don't believe for a second we the fans & even non fans don't pay for the players salaries & the owners profits.

Every time even a non fan buys a sponsors product they have contributed to the fund.

Edited by Woodsman