Bear Damage

BassMan11

Hi All,

I don't post much but thought this was interesting.

I was up at my uncles cottage on the french river a couple weeks ago for a family vacation weekend. I head up there every year in sept for a week trip for some hard fishing, but this trip was more cottaging oriented then fishing. I did manage to talk my father and my uncle into heading back to a lake that my uncles family has a camp on. It has some decent bass and pike fishing so i was excited to get back there. It was a cold day with the fishing a little slow so we decided to head in to the camp to get out of the wind and rain. As we got out of the boat I noticed the screen was ripped to the front porch. As we unlocked the door and went inside this is what happened.

013.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

025.jpg

019.jpg

023.jpg

018.jpg

028.jpg

011.jpg

Those pesky bears. It looked like someone had left pop bottles and some dog treats in a garbage bag on the screened in porch. I figure thats what got his attention. We actually went back the next day as well to look at the damage again and there was bear scat where it wasnt yesterday. The bugger had been back again to see if he had missed anything.

Edited by BassMan11

Wow. That sucks. Had to spend some time cleaning up instead of fishing :stretcher:

Is that the first time something like this has happened at the camp?

Might have to board the place up when you not there :dunno:

We had a bear get into the screened porch at our camp one year to get into the bbq. Of course the bbq has since been removed and zero scraps are left behind, but every year we know we have to replace screens because he kept on coming back regardless. This year I had enough, and enclosed the porch and put solid windows in figuring this will stop the unwanted entries......was just in a couple weeks ago to check on things and find that the bugger has now resorted to pulling the exterior siding boards off in an attempt to get in! Once they get a taste of something they are pretty persistant! I saw a neat idea at a camp in Quebec that I may try, and you might want to as well....these hunters put bear boards down under every windo and door. All they were was a peice of plywood with a bunch of nails and screws driven thru then laid down with the pointy ends up.....the bear won't put their weight on it and therefore can't get near the window or door to gain access.

This is the second time in 25 years a bear has broke in. First time one has actually got into the cabin. The camp hasn't been used much this year so it has been quiet up there. Also there was moose droppings on a near by trail as well. I will find out what has been done about it when I head back up there in 2 weeks

This is the second time in 25 years a bear has broke in. First time one has actually got into the cabin. The camp hasn't been used much this year so it has been quiet up there. Also there was moose droppings on a near by trail as well. I will find out what has been done about it when I head back up there in 2 weeks

My buddy`s son and a friend own and run the Lunge Lodge on the French, they have had some issues too. I have no idea what the weather has been like up there, it had been a hot dry summer here. Bears are probably having more issues finding food if it is the same there.