Bears

Flappn

I'm not too sure if you are choosing to not pay attention to the facts or you just didn't see them. I'll lay it out one more time.

Since the cancellation of the spring bear the estimated population of bears has increased a tremendous amount. This has caused bears to have a lack of food in the forests. They get pushed out in search of food and look for food in towns, and cities. There range encroaches more and more on the human populations every year.

This has resulted in an increase in nuisance bears.

This increase in nuisance bears gives more opportunity for something bad to happen. Attacks, maulings, property damage etc...

Relocating nuisance bears does NOT work.

The Bear hunters are the only thing that keeps the bear population in check.

The spring bear hunt is the most effective time for that to happen in terms of numbers for population as well as meat quality for the hunters.

There will always be nuisance bears and there always have been. However not in the numbers there have been since the cancellation of the spring bear hunt.

You can choose to ignore these facts that have been referenced and quoted in this thread from reputable sources if you want. It doesn't change that they are facts.

I presume you will choose to reply back with a quip of how you are a man and not afraid of bears. or they are cute and cuddly and you have never been attacked or that there are street gangs shooting people, or some other ludicrous statement. But I would think it would be worth sitting for a few moments and reading the facts before responding.

Well said. Pretty much the best post on this thread IMO.

Oh,there was a comment I made about we are invading their space. Think about it.If you were sitting in your living room,and a bear came in,what would you think then??????????? Me,what the hell are you doing here? Shouldnt you be in the bush? LOL

If we like them, we let them be... but if we don't like them, they're taking care of

I always find it kind of ironic that people think it's perfectly fine to kill all the animals they want for sport, but as soon as an animal kills a human everybody wants it destroyed cause it's dangerous.

Sorta like everyone says to destroy all the cormorants cause their eating too many fish, but when a fisherman goes out and catches a boat full of fish, everyone congratulates him and says what a great fisherman he is.

Kinda funny really. ;)

Edited by lew

I don't think that it was cancelled purely because of politics, I remember

my grandfather telling me it was that there populations were decreasing. I am not against hunting bear but there have been more sightings which is great. Teach people how to respect them and properly act when encountering them.

There really isn't more attacks know that you hear of, when you do it was usually startled or provoked some how. Which has always been the case.

If your worried about something getting worst go to toronto and kill some scum, kind of like the 3that happened in Toronto this past week and a bit. Really these bears cause a bit of a nuisance and lets bring the spring bear hunt back. Yet these clowns run around toronto shooting everyone because they got a problem with one person. If your so worried about your kids lets deal with a real problem.

The cancellation of the spring bear hunt was definitely an ethical decision with no biological reasons. The whole effort to cancel was supported by big city dollars.

Funny that facts were being brought up so I checked some facts which I found really amusing.

According to a wiki page on bear related deaths, there have been 19 black bear deaths in North American since 2000. There is about one or two every few years across the entire continent. There are more grizzly deaths, mind you, but that's a different issue.

Now the scary part, cows viciously destroyed 108 people in the United States between 2003-2007 alone!.. An average of 21.6 deaths-by-cow in the US every year. What is the solution to this madness? HUNTING TIME!

Now I know you will just reply with some lame, pseudo-insulting jab about how I must be a tree-hugging deer lover, but I hunt annually for a variety of species, including bear. The solution isn't the spring hunt (or crying about big city politics), it's to understand how to coexist in nature, with the extremely rare chance of encountering a bear

http://bookofodds.com/Accidents-Death/Accidental-Deaths/Articles/A0252-Behind-the-Numbers-Death-by-Cow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#2000s

The only feeling of being a man I know is being there for my kids and loving them. I don't know what a man really is I guess.

Probably the best definition of what a man is and the confusion in what it really means "TO be a man" , i have seen posted here .. Sorry i didnt think that you didnt know me , if you did you would have known the tree hugger thing is just my way of a bad joke , and I am really sorry if you took it as an insult (but seeing now where you were comeing from and not knowing me I see now how you could not have thought anything else)Hope we can speak in the future in a better manner ... Just a difference of opinion , we both want what is right for the ecology , me I want my spring hunt back and see it as a way to solve a "problem", you enjoy viewing nature in its wildest form and see no "problem". Hope one day we can all work this out , both sides working to the better for all ..

Edited by capt bruce

I forgot to mention another non related quote of cow attacks.

No one said that every encounter that is a bad one ends in a fatality. Or that fatalities are the only thing trying to be prevented. How many nuisance bears have been reported in Ontario last year to the MnR alone. not including those that are reported to the OPP.... Answer? over 12,600.... Thats 35 per day 365 days a year in ontario. How many nuisance cow reports have there been in ontario last year?

In 2006 the wife and I did a out west camping trip......bought a large pop up camper....some call it a tent trailer.......

But anyways......on this trip we camp 4 days in Yellowstone Park.......since we did not have a complete hard shell camper we were restricted on where we were allowed to camp....anywhere where there was bear activity we were not allowed to set up our pop up camper.....AND even in the area we were allowed in, a Park Ranger would constantly walk the campground insuring you did not leave out your cooking stuff, including your coolers and grill.....EVERYTHING had to be put away in your truck when you were finished with your meal.

Yes, bears can be serious and the National Park Service realizes this and they take all the precautions they can. So should you.

Those were grizzlies. We're talking about black bears here.

Capt Bruce, no hard feelings at all. As you said I don't know you. I wasn't hurt or bothered that much just heated the conversation.

I agree it is just a difference of opinion and that is all. No hard feelings at all here either.

My parents taught me it takes a man to work thibgs out in a respectful manner.

I guess we are all men lol.

Sorry had to say it lol.

MISTER TREE HUGGER P3TA SAYS :

the human problem has to be controlled by Gangsta's & Thug's

etc. etc.

and maybe the odd mange ridden hungry coyote

real men hug catus

I repaired it fer ya. ;)