Backlake pike - portaging with a group

Rod Caster

Here are the results of my "pike advice-northeast Ontario" thread.

http://ontariofishin...showtopic=64156

Last year, a friend and I scouted out this small lake off of Hwy 11 N; two lakes and two portages, approximately 2.5kms in distance, seperated Hwy 11 and the third lake. The first portage was grown-in and had been abandoned for several years, while the second portage had tripled in distance due to low water conditions. We did not carry the canoe across the very muddy, depressed swamp; instead we walked around the swamp, up on the steep-ish sides and simply stepped foot on its shores, saw some nice rock-cliffs and turned back around.

This year, I led a group of 10 generally non-portaging type guys back to this rarely-fished pike lake. Luckily, the water level was slightly higher which allowed us to shovel past the previously dry swamp. Otherwise, there was no way we could have hauled all our gear to the target lake.

This is a pic of the landing at the first lake.

100_0028-3.jpg

The swamp.

100_0038-3.jpg

100_0032-2.jpg

By the time we arrived at the third lake, everyone was swamped! It was hot as :stretcher: and we did not exactly pack sparingly.... guitars and beer cannot be left behind!

The first night of fishing was a complete bust. Nobody even had a bite! I focused heavily on deeper edges, 10 to 30 feet of water.This was not a good sign and we started saying things like "maybe it's a dead lake", "at least we are having nice weather" blah blah blah. I was the "fishing consultant" so I was a quite worried that we wouldn't catch anything.

One thing I noticed after going for a swim was that the surface temps were very refreshing. Diving to 15 feet didn't make much of a difference. Given the recent hot-spell, I figured the surface temps would have been much higher.

The next morning, the early risers reported that they saw fish jumping near shore. A good sign. As I was cooking eggs I heard a splash within casting distance so I reached for my rod which was loaded with a 1/4oz long shank jig and a 6" paddle tail perch... seconds after the minnow splashes, I get a strike and reel in a "decent" 2 lbs pike. Moods instantly cheer up and everyone grabs their fishing rod.

After breakfast we resign to a day of fun: cliff diving, exploring, fishing, eating, drinking. We all did a fair amount of fishing that day and actually did ok. I found the pike to bite fast moving lures near the surface over 5 to 15 feet of water, near deeper drop-off.

100_0050-1.jpg

100_0060.jpg

100_0065.jpg

100_0076-1.jpg

100_0077-1.jpg

As the sun gave way to longer shadows, I walked down the shoreline to where I had mentally marked some "fishy" spots. Two of the other guys were nearby as I did my second cast and tagged into a huge fish. The battle was EPIC! The bugger took my line into a submerged tree so I had to jump in the water, up to my waist, losing my left sandle to the mud in the process. I played the pike for about 5 minutes with my rod tip near or under the water so my line wouldn't snag on this branch. As the fish approached I had to drag him under the branch before I could grab it, of course it being a pike, it did several huge runs just as I would reach for it. Almost lost my rod a couple times. The two guys behind me, cameraless were laughing and cheering the whole time, trying to get everyone elses attention.

I eventually drag the bugger beneath the branch and scoop him into my arms. I immediatly cut the leader, then unwittingly drop my rod into the water. I held it for a couple seconds and when the guys on shore urged me to carry it to the group I just slowly put it back in the water and let it swim.:canadian: It was between 12 and 15lbs I'd say. No photos taken.

I end the day with 10 pike, 8 more than the next person :D

Next morning I wake up to another guy hauling in another HUGE pike. As he fumbles with it on shore, the line snaps and the fish swims away. Moments later the next guy hooks into ANOTHER huge pike, this time he professionally plays the fish and eases it to shore after 5 or 6 minutes. I helped him land it and the photo you see next is me holding HIS fish. The reason I REALLY like this photo, is that his fish was the same size as mine. Not mine, but just like mine;) B) I have two witnesses, I swear it's true :)

556479_10150925695726249_125794030_n.jpg

This was the highlight of the trip for everyone and this is what I had come to this lake for. Amongst the other great moments, the three big pike made the trip worth the effort.

552423_10150925695121249_1410626490_n.jpg

We are already looking for new spots for next year!

Edited by Rod Caster

Quite an awesome report. But NO PHOTO NO FISH, at least your buddy got a nice one.

laugh.gif

We give out prizes at these events and this year I won the Manley Cup for biggest fish. Proof enough for me haha.

Awesome Report Chad. Those are some good size pike in there. Makes me hate living here even more.

rofl2.gif

There are hundreds of lakes like this around here. I could go to a new lake every day for at least an entire summer and I bet I'd only see a handfull of people. The best thing about this lake: not a single piece of garbage was seen.canadian.gif Now that is pristine!

Thats my kind of fishing , You sure do get a good feeling when you do your homework for a couple months and then bust a gut getting

there to discover it has fish in it like those ones. Great job , wish you luck on your next discovery :clapping:

Excellent looking adventure but still need bushwhacking to get to near untouched waters.

Definitely seemed worth the effort.

Incredible big pike picture there. :Gonefishing:

Thanks for taking time to tell story.

rofl2.gif

Those salmon in your latest report sure make a good argument for staying cool.gif

The fishing really isn't bad around here having Erie and Ontario so close it is just the fact of the scumbags and over populated areas.

Plus when I am fishing those salmon you can smell the wonderfull smell Hamilton is known for and all you see is buildings and such.

I do love the fishing just not the garbage all over this area.

Some stellar photos. Read this last night. Gave a grin when you mentioned about hiking in the beer.

The second pic reminds me very much of a portage taken just before 9/11 while up in Temagami doing much the same you and your crew did.

Great report.

As the sun gave way to longer shadows, I walked down the shoreline to where I had mentally marked some "fishy" spots. Two of the other guys were nearby as I did my second cast and tagged into a huge fish. The battle was EPIC! The bugger took my line into a submerged tree so I had to jump in the water, up to my waist, losing my left sandle to the mud in the process. I played the pike for about 5 minutes with my rod tip near or under the water so my line wouldn't snag on this branch. As the fish approached I had to drag him under the branch before I could grab it, of course it being a pike, it did several huge runs just as I would reach for it. Almost lost my rod a couple times. The two guys behind me, cameraless were laughing and cheering the whole time, trying to get everyone elses attention.

I eventually drag the bugger beneath the branch and scoop him into my arms. I immediatly cut the leader, then unwittingly drop my rod into the water. I held it for a couple seconds and when the guys on shore urged me to carry it to the group I just slowly put it back in the water and let it swim.:canadian: It was between 12 and 15lbs I'd say. No photos taken.

I end the day with 10 pike, 8 more than the next person :D

Chad,

Man, what a story, I loved it. Jumpin into the drink taking on this monster pike on his own playing field. clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

What's with your buddies? Seems to me they could have been a bit more helpful, maybe hold the dang branch up. I'd hate for em to get wet and all, but come on, make yourself useful. sarcasm.gif Oh well, rookies, Gonefishing.gif whadda do.

Great report and awesome pictures.

Did ya ever get your sandle back?

Chad,

Man, what a story, I loved it. Jumpin into the drink taking on this monster pike on his own playing field. clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

What's with your buddies? Seems to me they could have been a bit more helpful, maybe hold the dang branch up. I'd hate for em to get wet and all, but come on, make yourself useful. sarcasm.gif Oh well, rookies, Gonefishing.gif whadda do.

Great report and awesome pictures.

Did ya ever get your sandle back?

Haha, ya, rookies... Sheesh. :D

Never got the sandle back, I dug around the area for a couple minutes but it never floated to the surface. After I released the fish, I had to search for my rod too, luckily the rod was easy to find in the muddy water!