Licence Question?

express168

Whenever we rent a cottage and boat the wife will join us in the boat but doesn't fish, she hangs out and catches a tan. I had someone telling me the other day that if she was in the boat and there is enough rods that she may use one, she would need to have a licence. Last time I checked a licence was for fishing, not the possibility of fishing. We are going to Lake Onaping in August and she will be joining me and the kids in the boat, there will be more rods in the boat then people but I don't think she would need a licence to be in the boat with us?

Anyone else ever hear this from someone before?

It would be the officer's discretion, as it is with everything, but If she's not fishing then she's not fishing. On a similar line then any angler could be charged if they were found with more rods then legal anglers in the boat.

There is a joke about accusing someone of something solely based on having the "equipment" available.

Edit: And I see Terry has also alluded to it.

Edited by kickingfrog

I would make sure that she doesn’t touch any of the gear; not even hold a rod for one of the kids while they do something like get a drink from the cooler. That would constitute fishing and if a CO is watching he could lay charges; he’d have to be a putz but he just might be one.

For the cost of a temporary conservation license why not get her one and then if mom wants/needs to help the kids there won’t be any issues.

Dan.

If the CO wants to charge her because she has the equipment , then have your wife charge the the CO with rape cause he has the equipment

Wow... going a bit overboard there Terry. Rape in no way should be used in jest or to make your point, nor should it be used to make light of a situation.

That comment was in very poor taste.

Terry's comment is based on a long standing joke surrounding a CO and a woman in a boat. After years of being posted here, it has never been considered an "issue". I can't see how it could be thought of any other way at this point...

I see the "PC Police" has reared their ugly head again!

Op... my wife does the same thing... never touches a rod when we are in the boat... the only ticket she could qualify for would be ballast without a license.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Terry's comment is based on a long standing joke surrounding a CO and a woman in a boat. After years of being posted here, it has never been considered an "issue". I can't see how it could be thought of any other way at this point...

I see the "PC Police" has reared their ugly head again!

Op... my wife does the same thing... never touches a rod when we are in the boat... the only ticket she could qualify for would be ballast without a license.

HH

I was merely making a point that jokes of that type are not publicly acceptable and I won't condone them by keeping silent. Nor should they be something joked about in private, but I'm not about to tell anyone what they should do behind closed doors. This is a public forum, which I hope is accepting of all people. If we can't curse all we like because it alienates people, then how can we make light of rape when tens of thousands of Canadian women experience that truth every year. If you look through the history of repression there have been many jokes aimed at particular races, which if said outloud in public nowadays could border on hate speech. Just because no one stepped up in the past to speak against a joke in bad taste, doesn't mean it was ok then or even now.

I am by no means the "PC Police" as you pointed out. I am just sick and tired of standing by listening to crap like this.

Well if not rape then how about murder, after all they carry guns too.

That's probably a better analogy.

Thanks for the replies guys, and by the way Terry neither myself or my wife took any offence to your comment. We actually understand the manner in which it was being presented.

I do understand the manner in which it was presented (as a joke) and I can appreciate that neither yourself or your wife were offended by his comment, but that doesn't necessarily mean that others were not. I understand that Terry most likely meant nothing malicious with his analogy, but I am merely stating that what he chose to use was in poor taste and in future that should be taken into consideration.

This was not meant to flame the OPs thread, but it needed to be said.

some of you don't fit into my world and are so uptight it makes you make me uncomfortable when I see your type in public...scare forsure

yeah some of these guys must not get out much...

I think the joke has been posted on this site about ten times.....lighten up guys....

here is the joke

A couple went on vacation to a resort up north. The husband liked to fish, and the wife liked to read. One morning the husband came back from fishing after getting up really early that morning and took a nap. While he slept, the wife decided to take the boat out. She was not familiar with the lake, so she rowed out and anchored the boat, and started reading her book. Along comes the Game Warden in his boat, pulls up alongside the woman's boat and asks her what she's doing? She says, "Reading my book." The Game Warden tells her she is in a restricted fishing area and she explains that she's not fishing. To which he replied, "But you have all this equipment. I will have to take you in and write you up!" Angry that the warden was being so unreasonable, the lady told the warden, "If you do that, I will charge you with rape." The warden, shocked by her statement, replied, "But I didn't even touch you." To which the lady replied, "Yeah, but you have all the equipment!"

Edited by Terry

GreenCanada you have not been around long. If you had you would understand a lot more things. Even after it has been explained you fail to understand. Get off your high horse.

I've been a registered user here for over 3 years (1/2 the time this forum has been opened) and used to frequent the board to read fishing reports for awhile before I had registered. Sorry I'm not part of the club of users who opened this forum, if that's what you are referring to. I wasn't aware that those are the only people with relevant things to say. Typically, I relish the opportunity to learn from and absorb a lot of the knowledge the users with >10,000 posts offer, free of charge. But, I'm sure you and many others realize that other users with less abundant posts also have vast knowledge banks of fishing and life experiences. I don't own and high horse and never will, but I do own a sense of what's right and wrong. I accept that not all people will agree with me and I'm sure many people on here know Terry personally, I don't, or I would have addressed it more privately.

But GbayGiant, please, explain these ambiguous "a lot more things" to me that I would have understood if I had been here longer than my 3 years so far, mainly so I can better understand your perspective.

\I don't own and high horse and never will, but I do own a sense of what's right and wrong. I accept that not all people will agree with me and I'm sure many people on here know Terry personally, I don't, or I would have addressed it more privately.

But GbayGiant, please, explain these ambiguous "a lot more things" to me that I would have understood if I had been here longer than my 3 years so far, mainly so I can better understand your perspective.

you would not want to address me privately ,, because I would have used words that would burn your ears

and I would have told you exactly what I think of your kind, yup right in the groups like p3ta

you would not want to address me privately ,, because I would have used words that would burn your ears

and I would have told you exactly what I think of your kind, yup right in the groups like p3ta

Oh there,s been many a talks on the boat with Terry an i,that even made me want to jump off.LOL

Worst part is knowbody made light of rape in my opinion... Just proving a point of how rediculous it would be to charge someone for fishing without a license because there is enought rods In the boat to do so...

I find it frustrating nowadays how everyone is telling you to bite your tongue...

Freedom of speach... Yeah right...