Giant Sturgeon

Here's a pic someone sent me.

This Sturgeon was caught on the LAKE OF THE WOODS , KENORA , ONTARIO two weeks ago.

It weighed out at over 1,000 lbs (463.6 kg) and measured out at 11'1" (3.3563 meters).

It was 56" around the girth and took over 6 and a half hours, and 4 dozen beers, for the 4 guys taking turns at reeling it in.

Any Sturgeon OVER about five feet has to be released unharmed and cannot be removed from the water.

They are brood / breeding stock and probably older than most of us.

sturgeon.jpg

Edited by Knuguy

im gonna go on a limb and say no... not caught on lake of the woods. looks like a white sturgeon to me, which doesnt reside in lake of the woods. that would be from BC on the fraser river most likely. gorgeous fish though

BC Fish - Fraser River if I recall correctly. Gorgeous fish.

Pic has been floating around since the early 2000's.

Cue the pic of the huge pike that's been caught on almost every lake that holds pike in the last 5 years.....

the sturgeon in our chain are not white sturgeon, and they only get to about 7ft, and around 100lbs giver take. And most the sturgeon reside in the river, not in Rainy Lake or LOTW, although you can still incidentally catch them.

and size doesnt matter as far as I know??? None of them can be removed from the water nor can you target them, its closed all season

I guess I'm the only one here who had never seen that pic before!oops.gif

I'll tell the guy who sent me that---not that it matters. (At least I amused some of you momentarily!laugh.gif. Now, let's all go back to arguing about bass boats!w00t.gifsarcasm.gif)

Lol awesome..Not even a member for a full year and your on it..funny stuff..Oh the stories of bass boats and Muskies..